It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Release of Classic Alien Film in 2008: part of disclosure/desensitiztion or just entertainment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly to star in epic remake of Alien movie…

Arguably one of the finest early UFO/Alien sci-fi movies ever made, “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (1951) is about to be remade into a modern version for the big screen. Complete with an updated “Gort” robot, cool-looking disc-shaped craft, and undoubtedly vastly improved special effects.

As we have seen here at ATS lately and in popular media everywhere, the whole “disclosure” movement seems to be gaining momentum. As many here have agreed, one item on the ‘agenda’ seems to be a gradual desensitization program – an effort to “prepare” the masses for the “truth”, i.e., “ET is real – and we’ve known about it for a long time.”

I’m curious and would like your collective opinion on something, however: The message from our “visitor” in the original movie was profound and memorable: Earthlings had better not take their nuclear weaponry (and aggressive war-like tendencies) into space – or else. Or else what? Well, for starters, Klaatu, our protagonist alien in the film, warned that we will never become part of the galaxy community. In fact, the hint was fairly strong that if we continued down the path we were on, we may even be destroyed before we can destroy ourselves or any other civilizations.

So: Is this same “Message” in the remake of the film attempting to emphasize a similar warning? Is it world “leaders” speaking or just Hollywood?

Anyway – I predict this will be a blockbuster film at the box office. It also seems to be following a trend to disclosure/desensitization (via e.g., MIB, Independence Day, War of the Worlds, ET, Close Encounters, Communion, etc.).

What do you guys think?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I personally do not think that Alien hollywood movies have anything to do with disclosure. If I was a filmmaker or director I would definitely want to do an Alien invasion movie. Would that mean some people in the government forced me to make the movie? I doubt it...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo
As we have seen here at ATS lately and in popular media everywhere, the whole “disclosure” movement seems to be gaining momentum.

Two key words in the above sentence. "Popular media". It has nothing to do with "disclosure" and everything to do with marketing and making money.

It simply sells.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

Exactly, hollywood knows what is going on around the world and spaceships and aliens has been the word lately. If people we're talking about the moon being cheese and can prove it or disprove it and debates go on like it has with aliens and spaceships then I'm sure hollywood film makers would bring forth a moon cheese movie.

I liked the movie back when I saw it as a kid. Might just be pretty cool watching an updated version of it. I just hope they don't throw global warming and Al Gore in it. And it would be neat to see it in black and white like the old version. hmmm maybe?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You know sometimes I wonder if it isn't just hollywood running out of ideas when they announce another remake although I gotta confess I will probably watch this one.

I often think the one they are really missing out on is The Forbidden Planet even in it's original form it is still very watchable but using todays special effects would be awesome.

Regarding the effect on disclosure. I don't think there is any special connection although I would like there to be the bottom line is box office.

Trailer

[edit on 27-11-2007 by sherpa]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh yeah - Forbidden Planet definitely ranks up there - now THAT would make an interesting remake (if done right).

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I don't think this re-make has anything to do with disclosure either.

The original version of this movie gave me nightmares when I was a young child. I am sort of dissapointed that they are going to release a new version. I don't think the old one can be improved upon. I am saying this because I found the re-make of "War of the Worlds" to be one of the worst movies ever made. In my opinion the original was much better. I won't waste my time on this new release until I can rent it at the library for free.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think we are about as close to "disclosure" as we're going to get. Do you want the President of the US to come out and say UFO's are real? He has. Want the CIA to release documents? They've released thousands with credible raw data to support that UFO's do indeed exist. What we are not going to see is disclosure of what they actually know about them because it is a matter of national security. They can't "go public" with alien tech, because other countries would get it, or another country might be able to gauge that they actually have better alien tech.

Having said all that, Independence Day is my favorite. Though certainly Hollywood and commercial, I found it to be factually realistic. I really did get the feeling when I saw it in theatres that it was an attempt at "soft-disclosure." Furthermore, the US gov't tried to censor it, alter it, and block its release.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Furthermore, the US gov't tried to censor it, alter it, and block its release.

Do you have any proof of this? Not doutbing you, just have never heard of this allegation before.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Immediately at hand I have a brief entry in a book by David Southwell that I have been reading the past few nights.

One film that failed to secure Pentagon approval was Independence Day, despite extreme arse kissing by its writer and producer Dean Devlin, who told them: "If this doesn't make every boy in the country want to fly a jet fighter, I'll eat this script..." The Department of Defense still refused to help saying that: "The military appears inept. All advances in stopping aliens are the result of actions by civilians."

Maybe this is the real truth behind the cover-up all these years. "These are my toys and you can't play with them!"

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It has long been speculated, of course, that the many Steven Spielberg Alien/UFO films were a not-so-subtle extension of his own beliefs.

An interesting perspective on this topic can be found here: Science Fiction and the Alien Agenda: Has popular entertainment been used to prepare us for First Contact?

Although they don't mention this newest remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still", they reference the original, and dozens of others as well.

I don't know - Flash Gordon, Lost In Space, etc., were fleeting and campy. The recent and current crop seem to have more of an edge and a lot more thought-provoking conjecture. X-Files, the whole bunch of Star Trek off-shoots, all the Men-In-Black stuff (including cartoons for the kids!), V, it just seems the pace and the intensity has picked up in the last ten years or so...

new topics

top topics

join