It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh my god...look out...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I started to post this as a rant, but I think it might get more attention here.

Hope so...

Last night we had a bit of a freezing rain, roads were a little slick, no bit deal...it warmed up overnight, the roads thawed a bit...then about 5 am or so, it got cold again and the wet roads became even slicker than they had been earlier. So here I am, driving home, fortunately paying attention, because as I turned a corner a stupid little kid comes darting across the road to catch his bus, which was coming up behind me. Thank god I was able to stop just short of this kid, maybe two feet...two feet between me and a dead or very seriously hurt child, he couldn't have been more than 8, maybe 9... Thank god I was going slow due to the ice on the road, and my anti lock brakes, had I locked up, that kid would be dead.

Please, please, please...you folks with kids...tell them to be careful, cross the street at corners, not from between cars...I know you've probably told them before, please...for me...tell them again.

You folks who drive home, or to work in the mornings or the afternoon, please be careful.

Killing that child would have destroyed me, I couldn't have lived with myself, whether my fault or not. Two feet, a half second of inattention, and I would have hit that kid. that was two hours, and a drink or three ago, and I'm still shaking...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Starred and flagged.
Good advice and a scary story.
Thank god everyone was allright.
Stay cool my friend.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I agree with lombozo...however sometimes..there are just too many inattentive parents around.Sad to say.
So glad he was not hurt.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Glad nothing came of this incident. Have a few more drinks, calm your nerves, and get some rest. Situations like that would shake up anyone.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Don't forget those people that feel the need to ride their bikes on the road at night in the rain without reflectors.

A couple weeks back, coming home from school, driving down a fairly busy street on a part of the road where there weren't street lights, this guy is riding his bike about two feet from the curb directly at on coming traffic with no reflector. Night time, slick roads with the greasy oily reflections it gives off after not raining for a while. That with the tail lights on a dark street make it very hard to see.

So this idiot feels it's necessary to do that.

I nearly hit him, as did the person in front of me.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time feeling bad for people like that when they get hurt. Children are a different story because they don't really know any better. But adults should.

[edit on 11/28/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

A child of 8 or 9 actually is old enough to know better. My daughter is 8, she knows to watch for other cars and look both ways on her way to the bus stop. So does my six year old son. Heck, I never ran in front of cars when I was 8 or 9. This should be something you learn between both school and your parents when you are in kindergarten.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I have another piece of advise for this winter season and by no means is directed to the OP.

Here in Colorado its gets really bad, and I'm amaze at people that try to drive car that are not made to handle rough winter road conditions, my suggestion:

- have a plan, talk to a buddy that has a car built to deal with bad winter road conditions and do not expose yourself, your family and others to an accident because you made a poor judgement decision.

I seen it many times, people getting killed,family members dying, getting other people killed or injured because they decided to make it out on the road that is not capable on handling the weather conditions.

Just go on the safe side, use good judgement and be safe out there.

I myself had an minor accident last winter, my car is not built to handle bad winter road conditions but I thought it wasn't that bad at all, I always have a plan, but not even that could save me from that one, you never know, just go on the safe side.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Yes children that age should know to look both ways. I'm sure if we all had it our way, every child would. But we both know not every child is fully paying attention and can get easily distracted and make a stupid decision such as crossing the street when they shouldn't.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I can attest to Seagull being upset. He was still upset when I got home from work at 2 that afternoon. It's a good thing he's a good driver.

Kids screw up that's what kids do but I'm guessing that little one won't do that again at least I hope not.

This is a good reminder to all of us to drive as if lives depend on it because they do.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I am so sorry, its something that scares you to death! Something similar happened to me on a rainny day but it involved an old man riding his bycicle. He cut in front of my car and i slammed on the brakes- I came within maybe 5 feet of him, and he fell over from the shock! I said, "No! I didnt hit you"!!!!! He said he knew, he was nervous! Here i thought he was staging something.:shk:
I know the feeling i would have if i even hurt anyone! I'd go crazy!!

I'm glad everything worked out because YOU were careful!

I hope your nerves are steady now.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This little kid, little boy by the way, was afraid of missing his bus, I understand that, but he just about missed the rest of his life. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have outlived him by long...'cause I couldn't have lived with that, my fault or not, on my conscience.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Yep, here in Colorado it can get real bad. Have seen countless people go out thinking they won't wreck. No matter how good of a driver you may be, theres the other people out there, not to mention that accidents can and do happen.

My step dad had a bad scare last winter. He was stopped at a traffic light in the center lane, and there was a hill behind him. He had a car on both sides of him. Thankfully he checked his rear view mirror and saw someone zoom over the hill in an SUV. My step dad knew better, checked for traffic, and seeing there was none, ran the red light on purpose. Sure enough, this SUV tries to stop, looses control, and slams into the car that was ro the right of him waiting on the intersection.

My advice, as a young driver who had a great teacher (my mom), TAKE YOUR TIME! No reason to risk your life and the lives of others just because you want to get from point A to point B quickly. I've seen too many accidents and have read too many stories about people getting injured/dieing because they thought they were safe.

It's impatient people get me the most, working at a KFC, I have seen people run into our building while going through the drive through in a hurry. Have seen people try to gun it in the parking lot only to spin out and hit another car. Some people just don't learn. So always be on the lookout no matter what the weather is. Thank you for sharing Seagull!

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It's snowing here again and I've watched people driving too fast for conditions past my house. The speed limit here is 25mph and currently I'd be driving about 20 just to give myself plenty of time to stop; a drop in speed that small doesn't make any difference to speak of in transist time but makes a huge difference in reaction time. I'd guess that many of the drivers are going at least 30; sure hope we don't have any more kids on this street worried about missing the bus; the next driver may not be as good a driver as Seagull.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

Trouble is no matter how well you think you have taught your kids, the thing is, they are still kids. They have short attention spans, they will get caught up in a moment, they will forget what mum and dad said yesterday, they will push the limits, ALL kids, no matter who their parents are or how good there upbringing is.
How many of you can seriously say you didnt think you were invincible at that same age. Dont fall into the trap of thinking your kids are fine because you've taught them well, it only takes a dare from their best friend to shove all that learning to the back of their minds.

Im glad this had a happy ending.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Well thank goodness you're both alive and well.
We all as drivers need to pay attention at all times. It's scary when I see drivers all the time not paying attention and crossing the center line, especially around curves. Talking on their cell phones, putting on their makeup etc.. I even saw someone reading the newspaper while driving with their knee. It's crazy, but thanks to you seagull that kid is alive and you'll be ok too! Thanks for paying attention.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Sorry, slightly off topic. I once saw a women eating a bowl of cereal while driving to work, bowl up on the dash behind the steering wheel and spoon in hand, the other hand steering, and yes, it was raining. Some people have no idea.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It rained all day here in the desert. Water is standing on the roads and still people drive like crazy. We already had one fatality. Newcomer's don't understand the dangers. If your car goes off the road it's going to roll over.
You're a good driver Seagull and the child is alive because of you.
May God Bless you.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I can relate.

I don't have a brother, but if I did, and if he drove like a limo driver, slow, cool and deliberate, I might take a lesson from that.

I was going to make a post about 'drunk driving', but not the typical comment, so since this ties in, maybe people will know.

I've heard reports about 'so-and-so' being hit by a DUI, but I've never done that, nor have I had a close call riding. (taps mahogany).

But when a DUI comes at you, if anyone ever has, what is it like?

IOW, are they so out of control, swerving, speeding, doing the unexpected such that you just can't get out of the way?

Uh, kind of a goofy question, but I'm trying to constantly be aware of escape routes and places to ditch, and I'm just trying to get a feel for what people who've had a DUI come at them and survived, experienced?

Obviously all types happen. Forgive if this is just paranoid...ranting.

To the OP. Be aware that you may experience some PTSD over this. Just be cool and don't be afraid. It will pass in a few days.

Just remain 'predictable', drive defensively and stay alert. You've also got the anti-locks, so you'll be ok. But sympathies and good thoughts to you.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Thank God both you and the child are alive and well. I can understand how you would have felt if something--anything at all--had happened to the little boy.

I usually drive more slowly than most because I want to stay in maximum control of my car. But even that didn't help me a couple of weeks ago. I was driving on a busy road at about 40 mph (speed limit is 50) when a woman walking along the side suddenly and inexplicably pushed her baby in a stroller right out into the traffic! I put on my brakes and blew my horn, which startled her enough to stop her from walking directly in front of my car. She screamed, "Don't blow your horn at me! I didn't know a car was coming!"

Even going 40, with my brakes on, I couldn't have stopped in time. It's taken me weeks to get over it. I couldn't forgive myself if either she or--heaven help us--the baby had been injured.

You did everything you could possibly do, and avoided disaster. Thank you for being so alert. I wish everyone was.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
That is when you get of your vehicle walk up to the kids home kick in the door and smack the crap out of his (or her parents).

new topics

top topics

join