It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Experience The Paranormal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Ok, so maybe this sounds a bit lame - like I'm some kind of non-believer who's discovered a clever way of making believers look ridiculous by asking for proof... but I'm not.

I'm a (fairly spiritual) 24 year old and for as long as I can remember, I've been fascinated by all things supernatural. I have always believed in ghosts, entities, otherworldly powers, psychic abilities and general esoterica. The problem is, I've never so much as heard a ghostly bump in the night.

My girlfriend encountered some crazy stuff when she was a child (being read to her by the spirit of an old lady, her hair being touched in the night etc) and it seems like almost everyone I know (particularly friends who have no interest in or time for the paranormal) has at some point in their life experienced something amazing and unexplainable. This is hugely frustrating for me, as childish as that sounds.

Why do I have such a need to experience something? Well, I guess that's like asking a cat lover why they need to own cats, or a Led Zeppelin fan why they need to see the band play live. When you have an interest, a belief in something, it's not enough to just know that it exists somewhere outside of your sight or reach - you want to live it first hand.

I've been meditating and practicing certain Shamanic techniques for almost a year now because this kind of practice aligns with my own spiritual outlook and I believe it to be the right way for me to progress and enhance my self in all areas of life. So far, I have learnt a huge amount and been given insight, but as yet, nothing that manifests itself in the physical world.

Any tips at all?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I think you are going to be hard pressed to find anything that will manifest itself in the physical world. If it did that, it wouldn't really be paranormal.

Personally, I would reccomend Lucid Dreaming as a stepping stone. Anyone can do it with enough practice. In itself, it isn't really paranormal, but it does give you an insight into some of the stranger sides of consciousness. The same techniques can be used to get into astral projection / OBE's.... etc.

Again, it could (and is argued to be_) all in your head, but it is pretty cool regardless.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The quick and dirty way you could always find a haunted venue near where you live and check it out. Keep up with your chants and let me know how that goes.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

Again, it could (and is argued to be_) all in your head, but it is pretty cool regardless.

It is all in your head. You just have no idea how big your head really is!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
O.k!. suggestions...

1..... Seek out a local paranormal group and attend a meeting.

2...... Research your locality for potential haunted buildings or hot-spots.

3.....Take a midnight stroll around a Cemetary + ( camera + video + torch + adult diaper + canine companion )

4....... Ask ATS members for tips, tricks & any other advice you may need to 'attract' entities, demons, polterguists or manifestations.

Good Luck..... (cackle)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by anglosaxon

Thanks mate! I've long wondered whether such activities will actually provide more results than normal environments, or whether creepy places are just psychosomatic but I suppose it's worth a shot.

In response to Karlhungis - thank you for your input, but I have two sets of friends, on seperate incidences who saw the same spirit. I don't believe it's all in the mind, or as my friend TheGreySwordsman eloquently says, the mind extends beyond our physical.

I suppose one of the things I was looking for input on is this: I've been told that I'm a very rational person and that because of this, I lack psychic ability. I think it's a fair judgement actually, but I want to know if there are any additional methods other than meditation that can break down my rationality to a point where I have some psychic strength.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Well... you could always get strung out on drugs and then you can battle satan with your armies of yellow ducks and flying eyeballs!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
But I suggest finding a paranormal group before resorting to burning holes in your brain

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
While I'm against drug use, mushrooms have tempted me since reading about their use by ancient Shamans. I won't do, but it seems likely I'd experience something tangeable on them, thus making it a tempting prospect.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Haunted Britain

I've only just noticed that your location is Britain.
Listed below are two of the more serious weblinks documenting regions of paranormal activity.

These links are a solid starting point for information.

Mysterious Britain

Haunted Britain

Good Luck

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
here is an experiment for you to try. it always works for me but i have no idea why.

next time you come across something you wish to know, say for an example, you read something where the initials CIA came up and you didn't know what CIA stood for. with your mind only, send the question out into 'the universe' that it is something you wish to learn about and within days, you will see on tv or read somewhere or overhear a conversation where you find out what CIA stands for.

once or twice is coincidence but when it always happens......that's something different

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Thanks anglosaxon and justyc. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for - little exercises and experiments. I'll follow up on some of these links.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
you said in your first sentence that you are "sort of a non-believer." that's all i needed to read, even though i read your entire post. you won't experience anything unless you let go of everything and just be. you have to empty your mind and get rid of those doubts. until you let go of your doubts, you will not witness anything IMO.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I wanted to add, because doubting it is going into the situation with a closed mind. Your mind must be opened to experience the paranormal. otherwise one will already have their mind made up before the experience ever happens and simply dismiss it as something else if they are fortunate enough to experience such a thing.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips
you said in your first sentence that you are "sort of a non-believer." that's all i needed to read, even though i read your entire post. you won't experience anything unless you let go of everything and just be. you have to empty your mind and get rid of those doubts. until you let go of your doubts, you will not witness anything IMO.

You mis-read that statement. He said "like I was some sort of -nonbeliever" and the sentenced concluded "but I'm not."

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Yes thank you Grey. LooseLipsSinkShips I appreciate your input, and perhaps I wasn't completely clear with my first sentences, but I do wholeheartedly believe in the paranormal. I have no doubt whatsoever. I have encountered spirits and entities on meditative journeys who I know are real, and I am always ready to accept unexplainable occurances as otherworldly. The problem I have is that despite this, my third eye is still blind. My mind, my heart, and my spirit know that the supernatural exists.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Visit a local paranormal group, we do them ourselves all over the uk, and could be in your area soon. Check out the website

www.ukhaunted.com

good luck in your quest for answers.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Not long ago an eclipse was "paranormal"

But you can start by learning how to see the auras, very easy. Then move on to
lucid dreaming, channeling and OOBEs

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by orby1976
www.ukhaunted.com

Thanks. I don't know if there's something wrong with my browser but your link took me to ebay.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Many thanks. I'm hoping that my meditation and shamanic practice will help me to learn these things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join