It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Smoke & Mirrors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Turn on the television or read the papers.

Janet Jackson bared her breast on national television. That is the main story and making the top headlines. Do we even heard about world? Do we even hear what is going on with the mad-cow situation? When Canada or England had mad-cow, that was a huge issue that they still talk about. Now it seems the US media is certainly downplaying the story. Hoping that other countries will open up the export of beef again?

I wonder in a humorous way about the fact that Janet Jackson's outfit was made from leather. Leather comes from (mad) cows. Ranching industry conspiracy?

In the meantime, what do you think about the downplay of stories in the US media? I have see world new or news from foreign counties like Canada, England, and almost any country in Europe. There definately seems to be a difference. If you were to go to school in a foreign country and then school in the US, you would see a difference there too.

The US media is about and for the US, and if it is in the best interest...certain stories get the downplay. Who cares about a breasts on television when the food I am eating while watching it, could be killing me?

I have my questions. What do you question?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
excellent points zedd!!

I too have noticed this and wonder, why was Janet's boobs so important that it made top story on most news stations?

Most people completely missed that President Bush is ordering three Cabinet departments and the Environmental Protection Agency to develop new procedures to protect the nation�s food supply from terror attack.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

My submission article about this story wasn't even considered newsworthy enough to make ATSNN.

It amazes me that no one realizes the implications of this new order, not only the fact of bio-terrorism involving our food supply, with Mad Cow and Avian Flu about, but also the sheer cost of the whole project.

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Didn't even make ATSNN? Hmmm...does the conspiracy reach even further in the "media"?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
hmmmmm.....makes you wonder doesn't it???

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yep, let see....

People running the ATSNN listen to Janet Jackson...
Janet Jackson's outfit was made from leather...
Leather comes from (mad) cows...
Cows are in every country in the world...
ATSNN wants to be global...
Simon started ATS and lives in the UK...
Mad cow started in the UK...

I think this conspiracy is growing!

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Thanx for your "insider" comments ZZZ re American TV news. As you'll probaly realise we, in the UK, post-Hutton enquiry, are still in some "shock" (metaphorically speaking), at the "bashing" the BBC received and the subsequent fall of various members of it, like Greg Dyke etc, and the on-going criticism that is taking place?

I have access to US news via CNN (on digital cable TV) and find the occasional "viewing" important to *my* understanding of another world viewpoint, though *still* tend to watch the BBC (News 24) as - obviously - whilst having a global view, reflects things which,, understandably, have ramifications for UK eg stories about Europe, etc.

As you rightly say, BSE/ CJD *was* immensely important here when it happened, quite possibly becuase the evidence of the culling was - relatively - within sight of a lot of people (where I live, in central UK), I *still* remember the *smell* of the burning carcasses - and the dark, acrid smoke that billowed several miles from me. Perhaps it was this "proximity" - and the countless tales of our farming industry's plight - that made our coverage more prominent?

The "media" would say (I imagine?) that they are "simply" reflecting the news that people want to hear... perhaps Ms Jackson's assets (which, regretably I missed) were considered more news-worthy at the time?

We live in "interesting times" Zedd...

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander Didn't even make ATSNN? Hmmm...does the conspiracy reach even further in the "media"?
eh... the conspiracy at ATSNN is time... we need more reliable people with more time to scour the net and post quality material. Now that the chaos of the past few days has passed, we'll be reviewing some of our regular contributors and inviting some to become official reporters. As for a media conspiracy we've all certainly seen examples of what we see to be a news media focused on the wrong stories for the wrong reasons. While I can't say for certain that there isn't a concerted effort to shape our minds based on what news we see, hear, and read... I think the truth is somewhat less exciting... money. For the most part, American news media has become an entertainment medium, whereby the "best news" source can achieve the "best audience" and demand the "best advertisers" that are willing to pay the "best ad rates" to have their commercials appear on the "best news" source. There is incredible pressure from the top-down within major media companies to churn profit. And profit does not come from reality, it comes from the fantastic. And... for the most part, we play along. The populace sheepishly point their noses in the direction of the TV and watch with rapt attention at the last helping of mental pabulum heaped at us from the entertainment companies, disguised as news sources. [Edited on 4-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well, Skeptic...

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that one. Advertising and larger audiences seem to be the major problem. And I think "we" (the audience) are the biggest part, since "we" would rather be oooo-ing or ahhh-ing at Janet Jackson's breast (and the ensuing legal matter) than watching a mad-cow report.

Genya too. What "we" want to hear.

So I guess that cuts the argument against the media. The audience has more fault. If we stopped watching, it would change. We don't...so it doesn't.
Catch-22.

As for the ATSNN conspiracy (a joke obviously), well...that is just a funny thought.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The only reason I saw it was because it was during the Superbowl. When I saw it I thought "how staged", I actually was insulted that it was allowed on such a great institution as the Superbowl. Shame on CBS!

top topics

join