It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

faith + 1 [question for bible beleivers]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Who in the hell thinks the Earth is ONLY 6000 years old???

Besides Young Earth Creationists?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ITSTHECIA

Me.

Because it is a symbolical number. Or rather hyperbolical.

" 6 + 1 " = Great esoterical, biblical key.

6 is primal organised reality. 1 is God. Their relation takes place in/as human history. Which is by the way 6000 yrs old, give or take centuries...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I like to think that faith is something personal and in the face of skeptics and what you call proof of (CRAP). That in itself is faith. Even if you provide all the proof in the world against someones belief ,someone would still have faith that their Bible or belief in God or what have you is your faith in adversity.I personally believe their is something out there that created all of this that we see and don't see, yet I choose to not define it with a name. I guess you would call me spiritual.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

The name IHVH can not be orally told, and this is forbiden in jewish tradition. Why ? Because no word can be put on G., and so the Name ("Ha Shem") can not be told (physically AND morally). So the word "Adonaï", or "My Lord", as a paraphrase to avoid calling G. by His very name.

One more time, a non-biblist like CaptGizmo is more biblic than he believes...

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Mohandas Gandhi
It could have say that about any ancient prophet from any religion.
The dilemma for me is the word GOD, how can someone have faith in something that is so indescribable.
I can only say this to you; I am not a person that would change other to reach my view point, I actually don’t really care.
What I care is that I am sure now that I don’t need any church, temple, mosque, religion, prophets, guru or any philosophy that will impart a certain point of view that will endanger my must fundamental liberty of expression.
I have my heart, my brain and in my mind I am writing my theology which I do my best to live by.

Good day

kacou

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

That is a very true statement. When we become Christians we don't become Christlike overnight, no matter how hard we try we will never be like Christ.
The best we can hope for is to become a better person by knowing Christ.
I appreciate that its not everyones cup of tea and in this day and age it must be very difficult to believe in a God with so much happening in the world. I think people put far to many expectations on Christians, we are just like everyone else but by the holy spirit within us we just try to be a little bit better as we mature in our faith. we still sin like everyone else but i find that i keep getting a prod when i do sin,
One thing that does bother me is that everyone thinks that when we become Christians we are then controlled and don't have a mind of our own. That is so far from the truth.
I eat what i want when i want.
I can marry who i want. no matter what the faith.
I can have a drink and have a good time just like everyone else.
I can have a smoke whenever i want.
OK then, what can't i do ?
Murder, steal, Have an affair, talk about people behind their back. ( that ones hard), Do you see what i mean, I am sure you don't do these things as well.
Anyway, each to his own and i hope you find peace in life whatever you do.
John.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by jon1]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I think people put far to many expectations on Christians, we are just like everyone else but by the holy spirit within us we just try to be a little bit better as we mature in our faith. we still sin like everyone else but i find that i keep getting a prod when i do sin,
Anyway, each to his own and i hope you find peace in life whatever you do.

What is the "holy spirit"?
Yes it is one of the 3 core of what make up God for the Christian. Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
You see, dear Jon1; there I have big problem. I see this as a dividing astute to make sure that we have to go threw one state of logic that have been shown for 1000s of year that make it easy to manage from the point of view of the ruling ecclesiastic class. "dived and rule" .
I see my self as one and hopefully threw my development, I will grasp the essence of been one and part of the whole with no division or partition of 3 conditions.

Kacou

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

I think that the more that you know about religion, the harder it is to make sense of it. It sure confuses me sometimes.
When i came to faith 10 years ago, i knew nothing really about God except what your average person knows.
I did a little course at church for six weeks to see what my wife found so interesting about going to church. By week six i had a very, very small amount of faith that Jesus was real. I then asked him into my life. two days later i had an experience that was really fantastic. I had to phone my wife and tell her what had happened, she said it was the Holy spirit. I was like, "WHO".
Now i don't tend to make sense of some of the things that happen. they are all good so i just thank God and get on with life.
None of it will really make sense to someone who has not experienced it. I still only know the basics of Religion myself, it is such a complex subject. My wife has just got her degree in theology so any questions i have, she answers the best she can.
I Go on a bit don't i,

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I believe in the underlying principles behind the bible, I don't look to it for literal scientific explanations, that would be idiotic

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

I believe in the underlying principles behind the bible, I don't look to it for literal scientific explanations, that would be idiotic

Don't tell the wife, but i tend to agree. It was written for the people of that time.
I think a lot of the old testament especially would be worded a little differently nowdays.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Maybe your life reside in anticipation of this experience.
I grow up in a very religious family, that can track their descendents to the middle east, fare from what any birth certificate can show now.
What I know from my grandma is that as fare as she remember all superstitions, customs, legends and others always been transmitted by oral means from one wise men to another.
When one clever writer decided to inscribe down all this tells, this is when the confusion started. He will write down all what he has been tolled with the a critic mind. If you take the old testament it is clear form me any way that it is an amalgam of Sumerian and Babylonian tells nothing more and nothing else. I always thought to my self if God is so powerful then hi’s message will be embedded with in us as we will no need of any books or messenger to our true identity. I believe in my heart that we all are the same, no one is above or under any one else, now saying this something has been hided in us and maybe, just maybe…one day we will known what is it that wee have not know from the beginning.
Life a round us and all what make this reality is more simple then the concept of human conscientiousness…why is it this way and not the other way round.

Kacou.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I believe in the teacings of Jesus Christ, not so much the old testament or the dogma of the Church. I believe in God because I'm an observer of life and my own feelings

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

Don't tell the wife, but i tend to agree. It was written for the people of that time.
I think a lot of the old testament especially would be worded a little differently nowdays.

We do seem to have similar attitudes, views etc on the Bible- I go to Church a couple of times a month, and enjoy time spent in prayer more than anything, contemplation, thought etc.

Those who seek to use the Bible as a literal scientific explanation for everything, and, on the opposite side of the debate, those who try to use science to disprove the Bible, completely miss the point IMO.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel
6 is primal organised reality. 1 is God. Their relation takes place in/as human history. Which is by the way 6000 yrs old, give or take centuries...

...no, give or take a few millenia.
we've been around for about 130,000 years.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Don't mean to nitpick, but...

All people today are classified as Homo sapiens sapiens--i.e., the sapiens variety of the species Homo sapiens. The first began to appear nearly 200,000 years ago

anthro.palomar.edu...

A small discrepancy of ~70,000 years.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
I don't absolutely agree with the 6000 years creation story, however
I Know the habitable Earth isn't as old as 'certain' scientists would have us to believe. Carbon dating doesn't even WORK on older rock strata.

This is not entirely true.

It is true that radio-carbon dating can't get you back far enough (up to maybe 70000 years back is all), but there are many other radiometric dating mediums such as Uranium 238 (half-life of 4.5 billion yrs), Uranium-235 (half life of 713 million yrs), Thorium-232 (half-life of 14 billion yrs).

There's others too, but the point of the matter is that the Earth's approx. age of 4.5 Billion yrs is well founded and supported by radiometric dating, and likewise, layers of rock contianing human fossils have been accurately dated as well using radiometric measurements.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I would love to answer this when:

A. You learn how to type and convey complete thoughts.

B. You define the meaning of faith.

C. You provide detailed, logical reasoning concerning how the bible has been debunked.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

thank you for correcting my bad info.

note to self: throw out old anthropology textbook and get new one

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Drzava

1) Why does it matter to you what someone else believes?

2) Explain then, what causes the marks (not talking about age lines) in the foreheads of people?

3) What do you believe in?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You're speaking of prehistory. History began around -5000.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join