It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of Afghanistan under Taliban control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
International think tank "the senlis council" have recently released a report stating that more than half of Afghanistan is now back under Taliban control.

"More than half of Afghanistan is back under Taliban control and the Nato force in the country needs to be doubled in size to cope with the resurgent group, a report by the Senlis Council think-tank says. A study by the group found that the Taliban, enriched by illicit profits from the country's record poppy harvest, had formed de-facto governments in swathes of the southern Pashtun belt.

The Afghan government and its Nato allies strongly deny the Senlis version of what is taking place in the country and say the extent of alleged Taliban control – 54 per cent – is a major exaggeration. In particular, British troops in Helmand have, in recent months, recovered territory lost to the Islamist group."

"The Senlis report, while accepting that "collateral damage"' has led to alienation among the population, maintains that the Nato force needs to be doubled in size, from 40,000 to 80,000, and some contributing nations should remove caveats which prevent their troops from taking part in frontline duties. It also urged Nato to invite Muslim countries to contribute to the Afghan force.

Norine MacDonald QC, the president of the Senlis Council, said: "The security situation has reached crisis proportions. The insurgency now controls vast swathes of unchallenged territory including rural areas, border areas, some district centres, and important road arteries."

news.independent.co.uk...

This report appears to turn on its head the view of the MSM,who keep telling us that we are doing well in Afghanistan.
They said that the allies need to double their forces in order to drive out the Taliban.

Also the Senlis council want the west to buy all Afghan opium,in order for it to be processed as medicine-which I think is the best option to stem the flow of heroin from the country.

How accurate their report is I do not know,but it sounds pretty bad to me.
What do you lot think of this report?
Is Afghanistan on the verge of becoming a divided country?

www.senliscouncil.net...

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Slightly surprised that no one has replied to this one.
Will no one tell me this is not a fair representation of the Afghanistan mission?
I was thinking some may disagree with the report..

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Slightly surprised that no one has replied to this one.
Will no one tell me this is not a fair representation of the Afghanistan mission?
I was thinking some may disagree with the report..

Because this is no new news. This was a lost battle from the beginning.

You should also mention this :

Opium production in Afghanistan, which provides more than 90 percent of the world's heroin, broke all records in 2006, reaching a historic high despite ongoing U.S.-sponsored eradication efforts, the Bush administration reported yesterday.

Yeah, the US did a good job!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by looofo

That quote is very bad news,and proves that something different should be tried-just like the senlis council says,maybe buying up all of the opium for medicine would be an idea.
Of course,its not perfect-bad opium lords would get richer,and corruption would still be rampant.
Still worth a try I think.Can it be any worse than where we are now?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is what you get when you allow the Taliban to regroup...

They retreat to safe grounds. (Western border off Pakistan in the mountains)

They reorganise and gain in strength in Pakistan whilest attacking the ISAF forces to find out weakenesses and learn from expieriences.

When they are ready they will unleash the Afghan terror wich Russia allready had felt back in the eighties and then the Taliban will once again rule supreme in Afghanistan.

What a waste... what a waste...

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is complete BS. Allot of special ops guys are still on the forums and they have said this is very wrong. If they have time to hop on the PC and chat then things are going well. When NATO finds them grouping they die.

top topics

join