It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating a New Discussion Forum called "Poetry"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHIYANNE

Originally posted by masqua
The idea that poetry NEEDS to be in rhyme is one that many people have, but I deeply disagree with.

yea but it sounds better dont you agree?

I most definitely disagree. Poetry is not about the art of rhyme, although wordsmiths like Coleridge also practice it. After all, he wrote The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, which is, in my humble opinion, one of the most amazing pieces of poetry ever written. for myself, it's all about how thw words flow off the tongue and how they affect the listener (or reader). Poetry is best heard, not read.

In many ways, attempts at making rhyme can produce awkwardness, because the choice of words is limited. To give free rein to your abilities as a poet, I feel you need to loosen the bindings of restriction such as beat and rhyme.

yea but the content could be mistaken, dont you agree? and others might be against? I would not want to offend anyone.

As in anything else here, you are protected by the Terms and Conditions of this website. If you wish to present a spell as poem, it's all fair...

Bubble bubble toil and trouble

and would it be fair to critiqe a members original art? without being just plain downright mean?

If a member presented a poem and asked for opinions on it, then it would be fair. To be a critic of literary works presumes knowledge and very few have that education to give. An acquaintance of mine is a contemporary poet, widely known and has a number of famous books of poetry published. He knows that I write poetry, but never comments on my work. He doesn't because he would not want to cause me to give up trying and yet will not show me my mistakes for fear of 'tainting' my poetry with his own feelings.

The best thing to do is read it and enjoy the experience of looking through anothers' eyes.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think the best thing now would be to move this thread into the Short Story forum, where we can further discuss the subject of poetry.

The topic of getting a poetry forum has been adequately answered in a positive way.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

here, here i agree.. but for now i am going nighty night...

good night all...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A Poetry Forum will be great TheDuckster.
Thank-you for suggesting it
And Thanks to Springer too.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I couldn't of said it any better masqua for you are exactly right.
I've read thousands of poems that don't rhyme but the way it was written just about put me in tears. I just rhymed mine for the moment.
You can right poems of a story or a song. Add some drama and comedy too! Just being unique and fitting the words in gracefully is good enough.

I'm gonna write one about you too masqua when the poetry forum opens. You are a graceful soul and deserve a poem.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainStar

I agree.

There was considerable interest in the poetry contest which worldwatcher initiated. A forum for specifically that type of writing should be an active addition.

I've thought a bit more about posting work penned by contemporaries and the masters. If presented copy/paste, it should contain perhaps a maximum of 3 verses only and a link to the rest to save on bandwidth.

There should also be 'ex' tags used so that it appears like this;

mary mary quite contrary
how dies yor garden grow

The OP should then also contribute an opinion as well, so the it can be discussed by other members.

If a poem is extracted from a book which is not available online, then the author and book should be described, including the publisher and date of publication.
If you are copying the work from a book, then the utmost care must be taken to ensure every word is accurate, including punctuation.

Any post/thread otherwise would have to be trashed. I can't stress the importance of this enough.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm a little miffed...such is life.

....but that's my feelings about it.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Now why would you be miffed?

If there is a poetry forum, it will be an addition to the writing forums already here. Short Stories is open to ALL members, so what could possibly be the reason for your displeasure?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

My only suggestion was to open a Poetry Forum, whereby, ALL members of ATS can contribute, and we all discuss poetry....

There is NO SUCH FORUM for this activity.

Short Stories?...Please give me a break...I started this thread for the sole purpose, in order that A 'Viable' forum thread be opened to allow members et al, to appropriately post their 'Poetic writings', as well as have a place to discuss Contemporary/Historic/ and present poetries.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
I'm gonna write one about you too masqua when the poetry forum opens. You are a graceful soul and deserve a poem.

Thank you for the kind compliment and I'm already looking forward to what you may come up with as a poem for me.

No greater honour, imo.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Short Stories is open to all members.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'd post on here my poetry; I already post on poetry.com, Chris Todd, Jr if you're interested, and think it'd be a great addition to the website. There's a literature section, but poetry is much more different than literature even though I love that as well. One interesting question though, say people do post on here, will that be copyrighted or protected in some way?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Great idea Duckster. I'd be really excited to read original poetry and famous quotes.

A whole forum dedicating for self-exploration and lyrics...Awesome!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Masqua?

PLEASE...

This doesn't fall under the heading of "Short Stories".

Springer said that he would look into this 7-10 days time./ pending on SO's schedule.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm putting this thread into the Short Stories only until a forum is created.

The promise for a new forum has been made and it will be added to the other two writing forums... Short Stories and Collaborative fiction.

There will be 3 forums... Short Stories, Collaborative Fiction AND Poetry.

[edit on 27/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Terrible idea.

What was I ever thinking...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Please tell me why you think it's a terrible idea?

The thread is topped in the Short Stories Forum where everyone, writer or not, can respond.

It is temporarily in a place where the moderators who will be responsible for both setting it up and moderating it will be seeing it.

Being in Short Stories is only until a Poetry Forum is set up.

Please, tell me how this is bad to you.

You've got Springer's agreement and mine. Worldwatcher does not even know about it yet and she will also need to know.

[edit on 27/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Masqua's quote,

There will be 3 forums... Short Stories, Collaborative Fiction AND Poetry

I don't understand Duckster what's a matter with that?

Seems logical to me.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thankyou Masqua! Thankyou so much.

My previous post was indicative of my previous feelings.

~Ducky~

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Glad to hear it.

I was starting to feel like I was robbing you of something precious.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join