It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Official, I've had enough!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

please give me a good reason why i should stick around.

As more and more people come, more and more nuts come too.
However this is still a good place to research.
Only resonantly did ATS as for help reviewing many release UFO documents...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So, you see under the junk there's still important stuff going on here.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I agree with Globule. I have a big problem with almost all forums I visit. People sometimes refer to it as signal to noise ratio, meaning the amount of useful info versus all the pointless crap.

The problem is people don't filter themselves and that's why there is so much B.S. here. There are bored people who just want to get online and put out their two bit opinions or make up theories based on no knowledge of the subject. Every new thread and new post is just that much more somebody like me needs to sift through. It's a huge time waster. Too many threads means too much to look through, and also means the same subject coming up time and time again. People are too verbose. They should be short and to the point.

Yes there are UFO's and obviously thus there are aliens since they are not man's technology. There's plenty of good video of UFO's and a boatload of supporting evidence. All you need is a handful of good facts/evidence and a little knowledge and you'll know the UFO phenomenon is real. Quality, not quantity is where it's at. Yet there seems to be an ongoing constant need for people to keep trying to find more and more, and they seem to be getting more and more desperate. If something is already true you can't make it anymore true. The only further evidence that should be posted here is stuff that's above the quality of that already out there. For instance I posted up one of the best UFO videos I've recorded off of TV in the early 90's at the link below. If anybody has better stuff then post it, if it's not better, then it's not progressing the topic along.

s127.photobucket.com...

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Elhardt]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I hate to be the one to say it but what if fakes and liars have been the only attributes that have ever been real in the UFO field? Many people act like forging UFO evidence is a new phenomenon. It is not. Technology is simply making it easier and more effective.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

I hate to be the one to say it but what if fakes and liars have been the only attributes that have ever been real in the UFO field? Many people act like forging UFO evidence is a new phenomenon. It is not. Technology is simply making it easier and more effective.

Yep it's an illusion.

The ones that decide what is "real" and what not are now leading the publics into the believe into UFOs.

It's funny once you've seen through it.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I can tell you that there are some members who have knowledge that others don't. Those who contribute make this site worth it. I should say "those who contribute with honest intentions and have factual data to back up their ideas make this site worth it".

I can rip into threads and make people look ignorant, but I sit back and laugh at most of the armchair generals/admirals and the host of people that know they are ignorant or don't have a clue as to what the truth is on certain topics. I do enjoy watching someone who knows talk to someone who doesn't since it always makes me laugh.

What matters are the members that are making people wake up and see things for what they really are. I don't focus on those who are clueless, but rather on those who can have an open mind or know info that really matters.

Don't let the ignorant members put you in a bad mood, and we all know that misery loves company. Sit back and laugh, but keep an eye open for the few tidbits of info that are true. Put them together and take a step back to see the big picture. There is plenty of good info on this site, just make sure that you are paying attention for that info, not the rest of the ignorance that gets posted here.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NJ Mooch

. . .There is plenty of good info on this site, just make sure that you are paying attention for that info, not the rest of the ignorance that gets posted here.

The latter usually starting off with "smoking gun", "proof positive",
or "best UFO pics/video yet". . .

Don't give up. There's a plethora of intelligence & information here.

2PacSade-

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'm with you in a lot of ways. While the obvious kooks & attention seekers are annoying; I find the people that flat-out tell others they are stupid or wrong because the theory they are presenting is "against the laws of physics" or "not scientifically possible" just as annoying.

Obviously our species is so brilliant (note: heavy sarcasm) that we of course have a complete grasp of all the scientific laws of the universe. It seems ignorant to me to completely write-off a theory based on our own understanding of science when there are probably thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions of things we haven't yet discovered or don't yet know. We're not as smart as we'd like to think we are.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Globule
To all Member's of this particular forum, which, by the way "WAS" my favorite (hope i spelled favourite right, because it is spelled different in Australia) , i loved this site, every day i would visit it for the past few year's, (and i'm not kidding, it was every day), lurking in the background reading post after post and not being involved in any discussion's but really wanting to get involved, finally registered only this year and posting only a couple of reply's to post's, have come to the conclusion, " Which by the way, (there a a few member's here that would agree with me) for sure", this section has gone to the dog's, crank's, hoaxer's, and just plain down right time waster's/dreamer's. for any serious research into the UFO phenomenon, this was the site to come to, but i'm sick to death of, CGI, Reflection's, Photoshop etc: etc: I think there is more disinformation artist's here than people who are really wanting to discuss, and "debate the issue" with a bit of decorum, finally, to the old crew that have been here ( you know who you are ) for a number of year's, thank you for a memorable journey, and please give me a good reason why i should stick around.

Hey Glob-

I understand your frustration, thats for sure. However, please don't let the few jerks out there in cyber win. That is exactly what they want. The hoaxers, debunkers and all the other disinfo agents are nothing but a bunch of "tools" and their stupidity is only topped by their arrogance...That said, its best to just avoid them- especially because they have nothing relevant to say as they are merely "energy" vampires- being they are vacuous they cannot sustain themselves on themselves so they must attempt to prey on the rest of us.

We are supposed to pull them off one another and send them on their way. We all get tired of them from time to time. So, take a break and come back here- we really do need you! I have read some of your posts and I can confirm we do NEED you.

Hope to see you back soon.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I dont really participate in the UFO forum here. I have never seen one and have no skills or talents related to pictures. I do have one question for you, where are you going to go, outside of ATS, and find any non-CGI footage? Is there a site that specifically deals with footage that can be classified as "legitimate"? Personally, I doubt it. The internet is plauged with hoaxes and CGI, you just have to make a choice, deal with it or move on to something new.

Good luck in the future.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm normally not one to jump in on a "please don't go" thread. The fact you posted this means you probably don't want to go. You are just frustrated.

If people with critical minds leave and let the board be taken over by the silly crowd, ATS will be a mess. It will devolve into a group of people agreeing about every silly thing that comes along. Of course it would be a great place to market $3 Cancer Cures and the like.

I'm sure part of the problem is there is a finite amount of real information regarding UFO Research available. Because of the Internet it gets to everyone quickly and easily. The real stuff accounts for a small amount of the posts and of course gets the Bubblegum treatment as it is chewed over and over again. Another reason there are so many repeated topics is more mundane. People don't use a whole lot of logic when naming posts. It makes searches fruitless. Then, of course, we have the clamoring to be the first to post contest. I've never had the time to participate, but it looks like good fun

If you are one of the Good Guys, so to speak, you would make the problem worse by leaving. I've been thrown off the board for failing to hide my venom and I deserved it. It was a good lesson in civility. Since I've learned to look at it differently. If I don't like something it is really easy to ignore and not read. I've learned to be selective and not give in to the temptation to post some meaningless vitriol striking out at a perceived enemy. I spend less time here and when I am here I only get involved with stuff of interest where the conversation seems amiable. Most importantly I've accepted that the crowd is needed to pay for this place to exist and the more the merrier. Thanks to this crowd of diverse people we get this free place to gather and discuss topics that interest us. What is not to love about that?

Another trick I've learned to keep my sharp tongue at bay is to go ahead and write a angry reply, get it out of my system and then erase it and hit the back button. Makes me feel better somehow.

In many cases, who knows who is right or wrong. I've probably written off real evidence as a hoax and accepted a hoax as real. Being wrong is a part of the process. Part of being Human. We also need to realize their are some very young people here and we can't expect them to approach topics the same as a serious adult. There is also room for the Silly Crowd as well. I don't see how adopting the Country Club mentality would really improve ATS. Snobbery is one of the things I'm opposed to. Look what it has done to the Masons image

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that from you. I urge you not to let hoaxers and others steer you elsewhere. You should stay around, it will get better soon. The big one is about to be dropped and you really don't want to miss it!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm hearing you mate, it's starting to become a joke. Especially Sleepers thread. It's like a freaking novel. I've got to hand it to the guy, he has strung a lot of people on for a while.

Mate, just don't visit this section. There are a lot more intelligent discussions on other threads. Although, like someone posted before, this section is good for a laugh and a bit of fiction reading every now and then.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elhardt
I agree with Globule. I have a big problem with almost all forums I visit. People sometimes refer to it as signal to noise ratio, meaning the amount of useful info versus all the pointless crap.

I was going to mention the same thing about most of the other forums (actually fora) here. You often can't get past the first few posts on almost any thread without having the topic of the thread deflected by someone talking about Bush and/or how much they hate the U.S.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Honestly, with all the information floating around through new channels, you problably are going to have to pick a side. Either you believe or you don't beleve. I think its about time we've grown up now and are able to discuss what is lurking in the dark. You can hide from all the info that has been filmed, channeled, talked about till the cows come home. You seriously need to contend with the new wave of people in the know. Holding onto the past is only going to frustrate you further down the pike you go.

You know where I stand. I think Ill keep this brief. Life is not only just about being a mental person. Its about feeling and that side of ourselves is coming out of the closet to present a new way to look at life.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
All the pep-talks done now. Ya, know, I also have other things to do in life. Some people obviously are new to the subject (like any other subject that may be discussed) and some people visit to find out if there is anything new in the field. Now, if you just are feeling old, then that's your problem, there, Mate! If you think you can help someone else new to the subject then that is what you will do.

If you want to make it a living, then I guess you will have to involve yourself with science and take it on the shoulders when others tend not to care about the subject (or any subject.)

If anyone wants to convincely prove it to others, then that will be something that takes extra time and extra thought and extra categorization of the subject matter. Most people will not do any subject for nothing -- it's called an economy, and most people tend to want to make money at it.

Pure research is something that usually will not exist because, like Issac Newton, or someone who was important, there is no magical King or money coffers that will give you the money to do that. And if you get the money out of the Feds or some Private Corporation, then they will probably decide to manage you, no matter what how big of a lake you wish they would jump in sometimes.

After more then 30 years, off and on with this subject, it comes down to this:

The cases reported can only be assumed (of the good ones) to actually be somewhat reported good in the first place.

(There will always be the con discussions while the pro discussions take place.)

If not an investigator, then communications will not be what they should be, and then, all of that may not be reported - perhaps like training in any field that requires real awareness - some of the reporting after the fact can only be subjective.

Thus this field of endeavor is what it turns out to be -- because of the way the cases were reported, the questions asked by the investigators, and further lack of actual real awareness at the time, still to the present day.

It's like having an excuse -- it took me by suprise!

Now, the question is -- why should any field of endeavor take anyone by suprise?

Was the person thinking of something else at the time and could not become fully aware when something did happen that was seemingly out of the ordinary, or did the person just want to make some kind of mark upon other people by claiming that they did not know -- like they were not alive at the time -- and perfer to lead other people on - with this subject (or any subject).

Well, all people have to take the good with the bad and all the level of shades of grey into account on any subject. The best is to assume that quite a few people will not react to the way a few people want others to react about this subject (or any subject.)

The seriousness of this field depends on coming up with something new that explains away the negativity of this subject while being totally objective about this subject, and not all that much subjective.

Then also it has to be communicated in such a way that it sells other people in the subject and adds something that makes the subject more interesting.

The stories are just the stories, but the proof of what can only be described as proof has to become more than just what a story can ever be.

The only way this subject will continue on is not to get so caught up with it that one gets tired of trying to come up with something that really proves that the subject should not become the property of some other people who's only goal is to denote the subject and field.

Unfortunately that will take more work than most people really want to do - without getting some reconigation or reward for the work done. I know some that are attempting to do that goal, perhaps not here but perhaps for real reasons concerning how they consider this subject to be something worth doing in the first place.

Other than that, time will become a factor because most of the time this subject as to be done in spare time like many other things, so becoming disjointed about this subject was not a priority in the first place.

But there are other places a person can visit to do some research and if necessary report back to this place as something for discussion. (anomalies.net).

The more that others give of themselves to this subject then at least in the future, you know that others may follow those who led in this subject to finally without objection prove that there is life on other planets.

This is not a pep-talk post either. Some people reading about UFOs are bound to scare theirselves and seek discussion that makes them feel better, but then, there were many subjects on this planet in the first place and still most people were not discussing how they were feeling in the first place (where I think there could be some sort of discussion somewhere) but realize that some people were keeping their nose to the grindstone with the subject despite the odds of ever coming to a firm conclusion or making this world or planet of humans behave any differently.

It was the Cosmic Thought in the first place to decide to post and read about this subject that came to many in the first place. It was and still is not the job of this discussion forum to hold anyone's hand while this subject or any subject is discussed.

Do what you want to, you are the one that will decide!
G'day, and no, I am not from Australia so I must have posted too long for some reason, for I felt no need to explain anything to someone else who does not seem to be a teenager and perhaps is older and just wanted to voice an opinion about some of the threads here on this discussion forum part.

If anyone thinks that humans should say "Duh!" then if no one does, will you hold it against me or anyone else.

[edit on 11/27/2007 by AmoebaSized]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I hear you. I came really close last week to stripping out everything and bidding a fond adieu. I even dreamed about leaving ATS for good. The combination of what I consider uneven moderation and the 'screaming mimi' believers-in-anything had me just about there. WHERE can you go for a rational discussion? This coupled with the fact that not much has happened this Fall I think put me in that mood. I'm coming out of it. The archive program has real promise in turning up some good stuff. There are reasonable people here and there. I think I'll continue just contributing where I can and not get too worked up over the idiocies that are inevitable. The fact is there's a lot of traffic here and if nothing else, it's a good place to keep tabs on.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I think you need to stay and post more as well.
If you lurk too long and don't say anything then frustration is a highly probable issue. voila' you've proved it.
Call others out, help drive away the fakers and usher in/ promote the folks who strive for truth.
Being a part of the process instead of being frustrated with and leaving the process would be a waste of your time.

b

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I like to thank you all, you've made up my mind, i will stick around and start visiting some of the other board's, but as i have stated this is my favorite section.

It's the frustration at opening a particularly interesting thread, start reading only to find it being total rubbish, but i suppose that's price you pay for being involved in a subject that also attracts the crackpot's, hoaxer's, .....the fringe element.

I'll continue lurking in the background weeding out the uninteresting from the interesting and try to get more involved in discussions.

I do love it though when the board together as one rips apart a hoaxers post, and as another poster stated, there are post's good for a laugh.

Keep up the good work friends.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Hey I have a realy small violin you can play..... These topics have always been a needle of truth in a haystack of lies. But that makes the few truths we find worth the effort.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Personally I say to leave this site because of the hoaxers is to admit they've won, but they haven't won. There's a lot of things you can do to fight back, and here's three, I hope others will think of more:

1. "Bury the thread"-comment on GOOD threads to keep those at the top of the most recent posts above the junk threads.

2. Debunk and inform on the low-logic/disinfo threads.

3. Start good threads of your own.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join