It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic Police vs the RAF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Picked up this gem recently, it has a ring of urban myth about it but its a story to warm the hearts of all drivers everywhere

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A-1 Great North Road . One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea .

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office. Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your communication, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment.

Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed. Good Day..."

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
ay up waynos...

is this a real report ??? or is it just a urban legend ??

seems a bit severe ?? cant imagine they would lock-on ...

snoopyuk

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Considering the range of hand held radar guns and the speed of most RAF planes at sea I would suspect its just one of those things heard in a pub

[edit on 27-11-2007 by The Todal]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
still a funny story though.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Thats like the Urban myth of the US navy Vs Canadian coastguard....

It goes something like this.....

Canadian Coastguard "US carrier group we have you on RADAR, you are requested to divert 60 degrees South to avoid collision over"

US fleet Admiral "Negative Coastguard US fleet has priority your are advised to to divert 60 degrees North to avoid collision"

Canadian Coastguard "US carrier group we have Priority you are ordered to divert 60 degrees south to avoid collision over"

US fleet Admiral "Listen son, I'm on a 4.5 billion dollar Aircraft carrier with 2 aegis missile crusiers 3 destroyers and a light cruiser. I have priority here, you are Ordered to divert 60 degrees north"

Canadian Coastguard "Well Sir, we're in a lighthouse, it's your choice ?"

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
That story was here too Waynos, only it was an F-16 IIRC. Mythbusters did an experiment to see if it could be true and proved there was no way it would happen. The radar gun works on a different frequency, and is way too short ranged for it to be able to do something like this.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I had the same story told to me, except that it involved a Falklands-based MP and an RAF Jaguar...

new topics

top topics

join