It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Natural disasters have quadrupled in 2 decades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

The world suffered about 120 natural disasters per year in the early 1980s, which compared with the current figure of about 500 per year, according to the report.

www.physorg.com...

I honestly thought it was just better reporting and world wide communication that made me think that there were more natural disasters lately. Turns out that it is really true.

This article blames global warming, which is kind of unfortunate because people will turn this into a debate over the legitimacy of global warming instead of focusing on the reality of the alarming increase in natural disasters.

Either way, I found this interesting and thought it was worth sharing.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I smell statistics at work here. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could prove most ATSers are really human ~ if I really tried that is.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The Native Americans say......."the earth is like a big dog trying to shake off the fleas............"
(as we human are the fleas of the planet)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
This article blames global warming, which is kind of unfortunate because people will turn this into a debate over the legitimacy of global warming instead of focusing on the reality of the alarming increase in natural disasters.

It's a convenient scapegoat.

Meanwhile, I see that the ants around my house have stopped taking a dip in my Coca-Cola... they now prefer to lap up the condensation on the sides of the cup. I've two hypothesis for this:

1. They've switched to a healthier diet.
2. Global warming is making them dehydrated.

But unfortunately the second explanation seems more plausible.

Anyway, there's a news submission of the same title. Can be found here:
Natural disasters have quadrupled in two decades: study

It's no problem though, so long as you can find a different angle to discuss about on this thread. Which is why I'm talking about dehydrated ants. It's a disaster for them

Ah... sugar-rush. I'm talking crap.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Ahh, I only looked in the fragile earth section. Sorry about the double post. I guess we can try to expand upon the finer points of global warming and coca cola consumption by ants, but sadly I don't think that will carry this thread very far. Don't the Ants know how bad soda is for them???? It looks like they must be realizing that now.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Yes yes, disasters are on the rise. The real question about this increase is the same question that is most important about global warming. Is it unnatural for this increase to happen? Or is it that we are just on a different part of a reoccurring cycle that has been happening for eons and we are only now just finding out about it.

Is it “Global Warming”? Or is it really a correction in temperatures back towards a norm for the planet?”

Is it that we have an increase in disasters? Or is it that disasters have been at an all time low for the planet and are getting back to historical norms?

Either way, I agree, it’s the ants that upset me the most. The little buggers seem to be biting a lot more than normal. “Ant Bites Have Quadrupled Over the Last Two Years!” Well, probably not, but it sure feels that way to me.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It might be other forces such as our solar system passing into the plane of the galaxy. Maybe some gravitation forces are increasing as we get closer. 2012 is suppose to be the time we are in the direct alignment to our galaxies center which happens to have a black hole there.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Hot_Wings

Well, my personal stance on global warming is this; The world seems to be getting warmer, by most reports. It is affecting the climate due to changing the Ocean Temps.. etc. We are polluting the planet, regardless of the affect on climate change. We should strive to pollute less, regardless of climate change. But we should also be planning ahead for what global causes can come from a hotter planet so that we are ready. The change is here, we need to know how to survive going forward. Cleaning up the environment would be nice too, but I really think it is a seperate issue.

Back on topic though. Here is a video of those pesky ants attacking!

www.break.com...

top topics

join