It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal immigrants not U.S. health care burden: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Illegal immigrants not U.S. health care burden: study

news.yahoo.com

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Illegal Latino immigrants do not cause a drag on the U.S. health care system as some critics have contended and in fact get less care than Latinos in the country legally, researchers said on Monday.

Such immigrants tend not to have a regular doctor or other health-care provider yet do not visit emergency rooms -- often a last resort in such cases -- with any more frequency than Latinos born in the United States, according to the report from the University of California'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This seems to be a big talking point for many and its interesting to see how each side will spin the issue. The sticking point is how the access the care. If they are not utililizing it any more or less than those legally, perhaps there is a disconnect among the Hipanic poulation in general inr egards to use the health care system. Perhaps more education needs to be done in that community so that they can get access early rather than late. Prevention saves so much in the long run IMHO

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I just heard Peter Boyles' water break...

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 26-11-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This study at handsight shows that is deeply flawed in many aspects.

And don't address the main point of even if illegal use hospitals at a lower rate is still place an unnecessary burden on hospitals that have to pass the those costs to the legal american resident as some critics contends. Evidence of that has been "documented" and put out there for people to know.

IMO this is more of an local issue for states that has a great concentration of illegal inmigrants living in with in them, specially in the border states.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This story is such BS!!
Not only is the story full of it but it says just the opposite of other studies and is flawed and not scientific.
First of all, it's not study. They only made phone calls to residents. So actually its a poll. Do we really expect people who came here illegally to tell the truth over the phone? I don't think so.
Secondly, the leader of this group is named Alexander Ortega. Umm...something does not smell right here. I wonder what other illegal immigrant groups he is associated with.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
They're kidding, right?

Here's an article from an Arizona paper, dated today that says otherwise.

According to a national study in 2000, hospitals along the Southwestern border paid about $190 million for the emergency care of undocumented immigrants.

Lawmakers who pushed for the funding warned the federal government that hospitals in border states were facing financial hardship because federal law requires them to provide care regardless of a patient's residency status.

www.azcentral.com...

And this article from March of this year.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

I know I could find many more and I have heard that many border state hospitals are financially burdened to the point that there are cutbacks in services.

new topics

top topics

join