It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tachyon particles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
i have heard about tachyon particles some time ago , but only now some questions striked my brain , tachyon particles in theory travel at a speed superior to light ,but as consequence those particles could make our universe unstable , but if they are faster than light , could not they rip apart the space and time fabric of our universe?
Maybe those particles are the ones that cause the creation of black holes in space but then what creates white holes , maybe a anti-tachyon particle.
What would happen if two tachyon particles colide with each other?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Tachyons have only been proven in mathematics that they could exist. How ever their nature, if they exist, would be that as they accelerate they would require less and less energy to speed up causing them to constantly accelerate to a possible theoretical outcome of existing in more than one point space at a particular time.

Being this particle is merely a mathematical equation and we certainly have very little experience with sub atomic particles at just below the speed of light and no experience with anything above the speed of light, any speculation as to what would happen with any particle that is infinitely increasing speed is just that, speculation. To say that it would make space / time unstable is blindly taking a stab in the dark much less to say they would have anything to do with black holes.

I for one am of the though we might want to rethink what space / time is. Quantum Physics allows for particles to communicate with each other instantly no matter how great a distance they are apart. We are even "teleporting" photons now.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I read somewhere that controlling the speed, rotation and direction of the electron alters 'time' around the particle, anyone heard anything about this?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
I read somewhere that controlling the speed, rotation and direction of the electron alters 'time' around the particle, anyone heard anything about this?

Depends on how you define time. How ever controlling the direction in which the electrons orbit and their speed will affect it's magnetism or lack there of.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
"L'Homme Superlumineux" by R. and B. Dutheil gives some... light about those particles. Probably an english translation exists ; original editor : Sand, Switzerland.

If i remember well, faster-than-light objects were observed some yrs ago in a belgian laboratory.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Although Tachyons may exist for infinitesimally brief periods of time their usefulness to physics is practically zero. They would interact with nothing and not impart any force. For all practical reasons they may as well be "virtual particles." Their theoretical instability renders them non existent as far as the Universe and it's physics are concerned.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that most elements have components (particles, if you will, or something else) that exist in a variety of virtual and real states for which we don't currently have a workable framework. I would even go so far as to say that there are likely entire elements built of these ghostly components, and when they are eventually discovered they will help complete the Periodic Table, which is obviously incomplete in its present form.

But it's only my opinion. And, of course, I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rigel

I believe you are refferring to a so-called 'superluminal' pulse. It refers to situations where waves of multiple frequencies interfere and appear to have features travelling faster than light. While the 'group velocity' of this pulse can be faster than light, the 'phase velocity' is always the speed of light. This phenomenon is purely for novelty; all it does is sound cool, but it doesn't carry info faster than the speed of light or anything like that.

I have a bookmark to a flash application everyone can play with. It shows how a superluminal pulse is formed and lets you place a shutter to see how the pulse carries no info. It also features the reverse; a subluminal pulse.

Here's the link : Superluminal

new topics

top topics

join