It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Rifle Deer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I took this 6 point, 16inch inside spread, the second day of the rifle season here in southern NY from our lease. He was scent trailing for over an hour, running with nose to ground tracking a hot Doe(I never saw the Doe so he was WAY behind her) across cut hay fields and tall brush patches. Winchester model70 .30-'06, 165 gr. ballistic tip Federal's.. oneshot at 175 yards...This may be my Dad's last Deer season, and the emotion's were running wild, from tears and hugs to re-telling the story and the wonder of nature that the Buck was so focused on the trail....Not the biggest I have taken, but one that I will remember for a lifetime... Thanks for looking...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
As an aside....This was the second year that I didnt have to lift an hand in the processing of Deer, we cut up Deer at a friends pole-barn and the kids did all the skinning, de-boning, cutting into steaks, and packageing. The oldest boy(16 years old) takes charge and gives each kid a job, the youngest are the twins(13 years old), and it takes them about an hour from start to finish per Deer. The rendering of the fat for suet(winter bird feed) was done by a couple of the girls, and the hide was cleaned and given to the local VFW(for crafts)... We have already enjoyed the backstraps grilled with apple wood chips, a harvest stew made with veggies from a friends garden, and smoked jerky is being made now.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Most excellent! Now send me some jerky and I'll tell you what ever you want to hear.

Sorry about your Dad but I hope he has many more hunts.

Roper

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Congratulations! I prefer shooting military guns, but you just cannot beat the good old Model 70 for reaching out and bringing home the game. And the 30-06 is THE classic deer cartridge. I once had a Springfield 03A3 in 30-06 and absolutely loved that caliber after shooting 30-30 Marlin lever actions for many years.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well done.

It's so good that you and your dad are teaching the new generations the skills they'll need for the hunt and more importantly, after the hunt.

It will bode them well in the future....

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneshot1

Nice buck, the meat should be excellent. I passed up a few spikes and even a small fork during the Michigan rifle season. Let them grow up a bit. As a group, we took 8 deer opening week. I may head back up to do some muzzleloading and maybe a trip during the 2nd session of bow.

I have a Model 70 myself. I really like it. I got a good deal on a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation stainless Super Grade from my buddy. He manages the FFL for the company he works for and picked it up for a good price. It's a 300 Win, a little hot for Michigan whitetails, but that's alright. I like the '06 just as well.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Nice story and it is great to see the legacy of the hunt that is passed down.

A Remington 700 in 30-06 is also a nice rifle.

Did you make your shot with iron sights or a scope? Either way, that's a pretty good shot.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thank You for the best wishes for my Dad....Yes the Rem 700 in .30-'06 and .308 are also in my "collection" and fine Rifles they are... Scoped with a Nikon 3x9, I have a shooting range that goes out to 600 yards and practice all summer long, so the shots out to 400 yard are cake(any longer and I'm not comfortable making a good oneshot kill on game)... The passing on of Woodmanship is a dying skill and with most guy's just getting in a tree stand, the newer Hunters arent learning how to track, stalk, read sign and terrain, what food's the critters are eating, etc. I try to pass on as much as I can, picking rose-hips and getting some willow bark for adding to coffee ( extra boost of vit.C from the rosehips and the willow for the aches and pains hehehe) at lunch time is catching on with the Jr. Hunters.

new topics

top topics

join