It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

think about this for a bit...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Today i was in my first period class and we were taking notes. It was about the enlightenment period in history. There was a section of the notes called, "Basic Premises of Enlightenment." In this section was a statement: "The entire universe is fully intelligent and governed by the natural rather the super natural."

My question to you(and think hard) is where does natural end and the super natural start? Where is that thin line in the universe that defines these things? for example, is astralprjection on the super natural side or the normal everyday side?

Thanks for reading, would love your opinion!
~ucanneverdie

[edit on 26-11-2007 by ucanneverdie]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
In my opinion, there is no such thing as "supernatural", that's just a label people use for something they can't understand or science can't explain. Back in the stone age people would have thought fire was a strange and mystical thing that was all-powerful, but now days we know that it's just a natural phenomena.
Maybe in 1000 years astral projection and other things we think of as paranormal or supernatural will just be another everyday thing that 5 year olds will understand.
So basically I'm saying there is no end of natural and start of supernatural, as they are one whole.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think it is all one and the same. What we perceive and understand is what we term natural.

All the other stuff is supernatural. I don't personally fall for all this psychic rubbish. Yes, there are things we don't understand... and the delusional psychic community use this ignorance to dress up their fantasies..with the huge dollops of quantum mechanics or whatever science comes up with next.

Thinking about it a bit more I would say all that science can explain today is natural and all that it can't is "supernatural"....but we don't need the input of any spoonbenders to prove or disprove what we don't know

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
My theory about this subject is that there is an area of science/technology/medicine that is known by very few people. This area is the complete understanding between science and what has been misnamed "unexplainable phenomena". This may be the "forbidden knowledge" spoken of in the Bible. I think it's possible that a long time ago, some guidelines were set, for what was decided at the time to be mankind's benefit, about containing certain truths. It's conceivable that the status quo has been maintained under these guidelines by a secret order. Certain fields of study are closed, accomplished men are stripped of their credentials and blackballed from the worlds of science, medicine & technology. The very mention of ESP brings comments like "nonsense" from people here, people snicker and point.

But we all know that there are just too many things that "they" just don't have the answers for, and that's why we're here.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Prozac Heart

I agree, we're just at the point before science has figured all this stuff out. Today's supernatural may be tomorrow's elementary physics...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The great thing about your question, and all questions, is that it is up to you to determine what is natural to you. The supernatural is simply unexplained events that exist in the world that you are familar with. I think our Aussie friend hit the nail on the head fairly well near the top of this thread.

Many scientists, and people alike, have stated that humans only use 9-10% of their brain. Thus, I would argue that natural is that 9% where supernatural is that 91%. I think they claim 9 or 10% as an average. And that's important to understand because at different points in our life and under different circumstances, I believe we use a much greater %.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Everything could be considered super-natural until we understand it. Technology that is common place today would be considered god-like 2000 years ago.

I believe that all can be explained. Time reveals all.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ucanneverdie

Define "nature" and you have the answer. ; )

By the way and only slightly off-topic: it might be a good idea to ask your "Enlightenment" teacher about the premises on which terrorising and beheading thousands of people - many children included - for no other reason than a title were based...

It was a despicable philosophy - as is ANY philosophy that cannot walk its lofty talk (liberte, fraternite, egalite anyone?) in the actual everyday REALITY. Certainly not without heads rolling and the rule of the mob, that is.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
Everything could be considered super-natural until we understand it. Technology that is common place today would be considered god-like 2000 years ago.

I believe that all can be explained. Time reveals all.

i dont think ive agreed with many of the post of yours i read in the past but this one im taking your side on.

please dont take offence to that comment. we just seem to share mostly diffrent views.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
cool post, thanks...

i like it because it is SO enlightenment, with the natural / super-natural binomial.

like everyone else has noted, it is all about perception. what is explained today was unexplained yesterday. beyond what is revealed to us through investigation and discovery our view of the world is also framed within the context of our language, as our comprehension of the world is filtered through the "matrix" that is our language.

its what i believe, though i am often wrong, what the story of the tower of babel is all about. where we (humans) got a little too close to heaven so our tower (?) was broken, our people scattered, and our tongues muddled, or scattered. separating us by breaking communication but also by forming entirely foreign realities.

ok, i should stop ranting...

new topics

top topics

join