It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powell insists U.S. troops not circling Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
MOSCOW - Secretary of State Colin Powell sought Tuesday to allay Russian concerns over a growing American military presence in countries that once were part of the Soviet empire, saying, "We are not trying to surround anyone."www.azcentral.com... i wonder if this has any think to with ruissa strange ops next week

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
They are protecting the last great oil reserve around the caspian sea

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
i wonder if thats there war target ?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
the link didn't work, so i fixed it for ya

www.azcentral.com...

and that's really odd... i never even thought that we're slowly circling russia... it's not a good circle at all though. iraq and afghanistan... and then maybe north korea? so i dunno, i don't think we are. besides, we already have bases and forces all over the world. putting them into former soviet states really wouldn't do much more to help invade russia if we were to.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
i don't think we are circling for a take over...the military can't be that stupid.....can they? i think it has something to do with securing oil and oil pipelines in those areas. now that we are there we will establish bases....another way to spread u.s. troops all over the globe

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
if america will ever think of invading russia, the russians will be feeding american corpses to the bears

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
USA wouldnt invade Russia, as they wouldlaunch nukes and start WW3 ie (we all loose)

USA might be starting up advanced defence bases against an Russian attack thats a possibility, as we know Russia is in disaray or is that what Russia wants us to think???

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby

USA might be starting up advanced defence bases against an Russian attack thats a possibility,

i dont think that putin is that #ing stupid to let bush do that, and if he ever going to do something like that im sure that china russia india etc.. will form an alliance to counter usa and its ABM defence.

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by SectorGaza]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza
if america will ever think of invading russia, the russians will be feeding american corpses to the bears

I don't usually agree with Sector Gaza on most posts (no offense Gaza), but I do in this case. An invasion of Russia by the US will never happen.

Furthermore, there really is no reason to invade Russia.

Besides, the US is an opportunistic, capitalist society and has much to profit from a friendly or even a quasi-friendly Russia, and (God forbid) even if that relationship soured to the point of war, invasion would be out of the question.
Far too many lives would be lost...

[Edited on 9-2-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
ok, not to beat the horse here, but US will never attempt to invade Russia. The only thing it has that the US needs is oil - which can be purchased.

The biggest reason it wont happen though is that we would be giving Russia a HUGE advantage - they could ICBM our ass into the stone age, but we could only fire at targets not near our own men.

US invading Russia = stupid

anyway - i thought that Putin was doing that whole nuke exercise as more of a desire to build up the Russian millitary competence/experience and to try to bring her back to superpower status.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
We all need to look at the very real possibility of the Russians will get spooked by being surrounded by the US, and may act in haste, and do something rather rash.

If this were to happen, there would be a war of immense proportions.

I may be a bit biased here, but are we looking down the barrel of a very long gun here?

I don't want to speculate on the result of a global-scale war between russia and the US. Even if the US destroyed the Russians once (Economically) with the end of the cold war, It doesn't mean that we can do it again.

If It were up to me, I'd slowly back away from the situation.

However, it's not up to me is it? Nor is it up to any of us. It's up to some #ing moron in the white house who says whether or not troops move in closer. And it's never up to us, since it's never on a ballot. We never get to vote where we want our troops, but one of the people in this country to whom I wouldn't entrust the care of a colony of sea monkeys is in charge of our military.

What does this say to you about reasoning, or rather, the lack of reasoning that will be used in regards to the situation?

Take for example past precedence.

You have two options, in post 9-11 America, if you're the president.

1. Take reasonable steps to head off this happening again (assuming that it wasn't you in the first place) *no Comment*

2. Go off half-cocked, and turn three countries on their respective ears.

The face of civil rights may never be the same in the US.

People in Afghanistan went from being poor, dirty, and hopeless, ruled by moderately rich people who where pretty corrupt, to being poor, dirty, and hopeless, ruled by Insanely rich people corrupted to the core, but with good public faces.

The people of Iraq will soon be force-fed the bull# of Bill O'riley over at Fox news, and various other piles of garbage that we're heaping over in their country, at the low low price of us depriving them of the full use of their Best national resource.

So, back to the point; Reason?

I haven't exactly known the president to use reason in hot situations, and I for one will not be surprised to read once more in size seventy two font, on the front of my local paper, WAR, and nor will I be surprised if My country never knows peace again. Lord knows what can happen once people get a taste of blood, and I think that the US has more than a fair amount of it on it's hands, lips, and face.

Monstrous? Perhaps. But one only has to look as far as the commander in chief to know that we're being run into the ground economically, and spread too thin militarily. I'm all for equal rights, but I don't think that the mentally handicapped should be able to run for president.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I'm all for equal rights, but I don't think that the mentally handicapped should be able to run for president.

LMAO!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Mentally handicapped already do run for president.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i doubt Russia would just attack, im sure they are very sensiblepeople and would demand usa move away abit, if Russia did attack then we would nuke em to smitherines and vice versa (we prob be all dead) then our subs would launch more nukes, time delayed missile silo's would launch upto a month later nukeing things even more, bio weps would be unleashed, chem weps be unleashed too lol doubt anyone left alive on planet after 2 years of all that.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't think we would try anything on russia. IMHO we're not, militarily speaking, in any position to make a move on anybody right now. I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If need be it can happen but it is better to let Russia collapse from within.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have seen this suggested before, but its unlikely. Maybe just to # with Russia's head. But for sarters, we aint gonna touch north korea. Russia has nothing orf value for us. Invading Russia simply, has no real purpose or use. Russia will either do itself in on its, own, if we are going to try and destroy Russia, wed do it without firing a shot, through other means.
The Russians, however, are not that rational, they might see it as getting surrounded. Russians are paranoid, incredibly paranoid. They still fear the Germans will come back and get them. So, they might react irrationally.
But our presence is for one purpose: secure our oil fields and oil currency for our own use. Amongst other things, but Russia is no object!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Bigger shock horror than US troops circling Russia:

a Skadi_the_Evil_Elf post!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
......yea where in the hell has she been?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I hope the dark side hasn't taken control of skadi.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join