It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Isnt Sharia law based on Islam/The Quran? So doesnt that make anything done in the name of Sharia law, done in the name of Islam?

Just trying to understand

[edit on 26-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

I would suggest that if we added up all the people who have died in the name of organised religion, of any kind, if would far outstrip the millions who were unfortunate enough to suffer through the evil dealings of Stalin, Pol Pot, Chairman Mao, Hitler, and any other pyschopathic dictator that ruled in the 20th Century.

Look through history, God has always been the convenient excuse to use to justify war and genocide.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Pretty much knew what was going on here before reading and I wasn't disappointed. Let's blame the "religion of peace" for these atrocities? Do a little research, of the 194 countries in the world 48 of them are predominantly Muslim. You don't hear about things like this coming out of Egypt do you? But NOOOOO, let's focus on the few countries that are backwards and blame the religion.

Btw, if you want quotes from a holy book, I could come up with some nasty passages from the Old Testament.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Actually, I've crunched the numbers and come to the opposite conclusion, but I'm afraid centurion man is gonna slash me with his gladius if I continue on this topic! Anyone can PM me if they want to see my numbers.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Here is another article on this story:

NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov. 26 — The Sudanese police arrested a British schoolteacher and accused her of insulting Islam after she allowed her 7-year-old pupils to name a class teddy bear Muhammad, Sudanese officials said today.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The story includes this:

The teddy bear ordeal comes just a few weeks after Sudanese authorities said that no troops from Scandinavia could serve as peacekeepers in Darfur, where the United Nations is trying to send an expanded peacekeeping force, because Danish newspapers published caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad two years ago.
Sudan Accuses Teacher of Islam Insult

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Seems to be a trend in this country.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Isnt Sharia law based on Islam/The Quran? So doesnt that make anything done in the name of Sharia law, done in the name of Islam?

It's partly based on the Quran and mostly based on the (re)interpretation of chauvinistic religious zealots. The Prophet didn't create it. Nor did the Four Caliphs thereafter.

As far as I'm concerned, anything besides the Quran and the (verifiable) Sunnahs are junk.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Btw, if you want quotes from a holy book, I could come up with some nasty passages from the Old Testament.

I agree with you. However, we are talking about practices of today. Doing horrible things in the name of religion. There are horrible things going on today....but what horrible things are being done in the name of say...Catholicism?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Not that I put all my faith in Wiki....but:

Sharia (Arabic: شريعة transliteration: Šarī‘ah) is the body of Islamic religious law. The term means "way" or "path to the water source"; it is the legal framework within which the public and some private aspects of life are regulated for those living in a legal system based on Muslim principles of jurisprudence and for Muslims living outside the domain.

Sharia deals with many aspects of day-to-day life, including politics, economics, banking, business, contracts, family, sexuality, hygiene, and social issues.

There is no strictly static codified set of laws of sharia. Sharia is more of a system of devising laws, based on the Qur'an (the religious text of Islam), hadith (sayings and doings of Muhammad), (sayings and doings of of the early followers of Muhammad), ijma (consensus), qiyas (analogy) and centuries of debate, interpretation and precedent.

Before the 19th century, legal theory was considered the domain of the traditional legal schools of thought. Most Sunni Muslims follow Hanafi, Hanbali, Maliki or Shafii, while most Shia Muslims follow Twelvers (Hallaq 1997, Brown 1996, Aslan 2006).

en.wikipedia.org...

link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Hence why I said I'm against ALL organized religion.

But, you have to admit that these countries are backwards because of their laws stemming from their holy book, no?

That is why the US's founding fathers explicitly said that the US was NOT founded as a Christian nation and we have freedom of religion and freedom from religion.

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Please check out:

Sex Crimes and the Vatican

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well since the children named the bear I think they should all be put in prison for 40 years instead. How dear they do such a thing...

I always keep telling myself that it is just a small percent of Islam that is dangerous and radical and stuff like this makes it hard not to look at ALL of Islam as a radical religion that is willing to go to any extreme in regards to their religious views.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

....but what horrible things are being done in the name of say...Catholicism?

Are you sure you want to go there?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

There are horrible things going on today....but what horrible things are being done in the name of say...Catholicism?

Militant pro-life supporters come to mind. There was also that thing in Ireland. But that's going off-topic. This thread is about bashing Islam, no?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well I wonder how the teachers country of birth and Sudan are to deal with this incident.

She is in Sudan after all and I wonder how much influence the Uk may have in this.

All I can say is, if you are American, when you are in foreign country do not think that you can pull the I am an America citizen card to get away with things.

Because is not going to happen.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well the problem is that Religion is not the topic when the fundamentalist extremist in this nation commits crime. We call it hate crimes

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

Sorry Souljah, but I have to disagree.

It is not law to molest children.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

I understand priests do horrible things....but many are being held accountable thanks to our US laws. Yes, many are not and are covered up by the Vatican....which is JUST as bad.

But they are NOT SAYING: I do these things in the name of "Catholicism". They are not justifying their behavior based on their religion!!! They are doing their behavior based on them being f* up people, while they are employed by the Vatican.

I mean, does a priest ever say "God told me to do this". "Im going to molest you because my religon tells me too" ??

There is a big difference IMO.

And while we are on the topic of Catholic priests being pedophiles. How often do we hear people trashing Catholicism left and right....bashing priests...the endless amounts of jokes............................and you dont see this type of outrage over it. It is much more acceptable then some of us bashing the people doing horrible things in the name of Islam.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
But, you have to admit that these countries are backwards because of their laws stemming from their holy book, no?

I agree but it's not right to paint Muslim governed nations as such. Check it out:

Most countries of the Middle East and North Africa maintain a dual system of secular courts and religious courts, in which the religious courts mainly regulate marriage and inheritance. Saudi Arabia and Iran maintain religious courts for all aspects of jurisprudence, and religious police assert social compliance. Laws derived from sharia are also applied in Afghanistan, Libya and Sudan. Some states in northern Nigeria have reintroduced Sharia courts.[9] In practice the new Sharia courts in Nigeria have most often meant the re-introduction of harsh punishments without respecting the much tougher rules of evidence and testimony. The punishments include amputation of one/both hands for theft, stoning for adultery and apostasy.

That's six of the 48 Muslim nations that practice Sharia. Conversely:

There is tremendous variety in the interpretation and implementation of Islamic Law in Muslim societies today. Liberal movements within Islam have questioned the relevance and applicability of sharia from a variety of perspectives; Islamic feminism brings multiple points of view to the discussion. Several of the countries with the largest Muslim populations, including Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan, have largely secular constitutions and laws, with only a few Islamic provisions in family law. Turkey has a constitution that is officially strongly secular.

en.wikipedia.org...

See the difference?

link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
This thread is about bashing Islam, no?

No.

It's about bashing barbaric Islamic laws.

link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

Please do supply the numbers.

Though I have no "facts" at present but I would be absolutely amazed if the sum total of deaths throughout history attributable to religion, (Ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, Aztecs, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhs, Hindu's, Romans etc, etc, etc) exceeded those attributable to Communism and other modern dictators.

However, we digress slightly.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join