It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Still no word from Downing Street.

Brown is meant to be our head of government. He lacks the ability to be Prime Minister. Heck, David Cameron probabyl would of done something by now

hardly surprising, the public has been conditioned over the years to instantly react with disapproval towards any leaders who take decisive action, whatever the action is.

it is a form of de-evolution in progress... we will now elect leaders who sit on their hands for fear of media crucifixion

remember, we all get the government we deserve.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by planetfall
[where] are those the same muslims who did not take to the streets protesting all the brutality carried out in the name of their religion?

the same ones who failed to rise up over the abuses and carnage of women and children under their cultures standards?

might they be, also, the very ones who couldnt find the time to respond to the sectarian murders, violating the alleged muslim brand promise of convert or be killed?

well, if they're not the moderate, good muslims who do not support extremism, okay. but then, where are these mythical creatures?

are they in such small numbers as to be effectively non-existant?

well said Sir, where were their marches (including their pathetic little western dhimmis, the students, the extreme leftists etc) with anti war demos for the black genocide by Islamic Arab Sudanese?

-----------------------------
Trimmed big quote

[edit on 30/11/07 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Still no word from Downing Street.

Brown is meant to be our head of government. He lacks the ability to be Prime Minister. Heck, David Cameron probabyl would of done something by now

Yeah, the words "wet" and "blanket" spring to mind. I don't know much about Milliband either and how good he will be doing in the meetings with the Sudanese Ambassador. Hopefully he has some guts and says the right things. At least we can rely on the press to not mince words the longer this goes on

afp.google.com...

The Daily Telegraph called for "at least the recalling of our ambassador to Khartoum and the imposition of sanctions of leading members" of the Sudanese regime.

And here is something I did not know about the sentence

afp.google.com...

Her sentence, pronounced on Thursday, will run from her arrest on Sunday, her lawyer said, making no mention of an appeal.

So she should be out a week on Monday? Well, she should be out NOW really but good luck with that

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by planetfall

what to do about islam, continued, click my username link above for previous installments:

If you want to confront Islam, then you must be truthful and objective, rather than rude and slanderous. Don’t exaggerate or use absolutes. Don’t pretend that all Muslims are bad people, or that everything about Islam is bad.

The key to stopping Islam is education, because the more that is known about this 7th century religion, then the less appeal it has in today’s world. Muslim defenders know this, which is why they hide behind censorship and book banning in the Islamic world and desperate but comical appeals to political correctness and multiculturalism in the West. Muslim organizations, such as CAIR, often use outright falsehood to deceive others.

Non-Muslim Westerners should understand that there is no reason to place Islam above criticism, or Muslims above offense merely on that basis. In fact, there is every reason not to do this. Islamic law poses a threat to nearly every liberal value that the West holds dear.

Learn as much as you can about why Islam is dangerous. Understand its history. Learn how thousands of people can do brutal things each year explicitly in the name of Islam and Allah, while a billion others never seem to be terribly bothered about it.

In short, educate yourself. Then you can educate others. And they can educate others as well.

Write to political leaders. Inform them. Make them accountable for each compromised standard and every freedom lost in the name of appeasement to Islam. Expose the lies and double-standards. Denounce the hypocrisy of Muslim nations.

Speak truthfully. Speak tactfully.

If Islam wins, then civilization loses. But at least we will have gone down swinging.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Miliband has been good throughout this, atleast he is taking some type of action. He has protested to the highest level in Sudan, but the Foreign Office is waiting for Brown to do something.

I have to say, Miliband is turning into an excellent Foreign Secretary. He is more admired and respected in Washington and Europe than Brown! lol

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Did anyone see this documentary on the BBC nearly two months ago? I only just found out about it myself - news.bbc.co.uk...

I found this part interesting from a Governor in Nigeria

"The objective of the law was clearly stated, the objective is not to punish but to deter people from committing offences," he said.

So with that, and the fact a woman's evidence is worth HALF that of any man, I doubt she was ever going to be let off and would be held up as some kind of example. But is being used as an example to the Sudanese or an example to outsiders?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

are those the same muslims who did not take to the streets protesting all the brutality carried out in the name of their religion?

the same ones who failed to rise up over the abuses and carnage of women and children under their cultures standards?

might they be, also, the very ones who couldnt find the time to respond to the sectarian murders, violating the alleged muslim brand promise of convert or be killed?

I don't know for sure, but I think that is a safe assumption.

You should realize that police states like this do not bow to the will of the masses. They do not tolerate protest of their policies. They are not inclined to allow peaceful demonstrations. Corrupt governments like this must be toppled by force.
Keep the people poor, starving, ignorant, and defensless and you maintain power and control.

The prison she is in has between 800 to 1,080 inmates at any time, but a capacity of about 500. Every day the prison releases about 40 women but takes in another 40 to 50. Arafa Sheikh Musa, head of al-Manar (the beacon) a non-governmental group that works in Omdurman women’s prison in Khartoum, says about 88 percent of inmates are from the south and prison statistics show that since 1992 more than 90 percent are guilty of wine making.

Most women here are mothers and they take their children up to the age of three with them to prison, but the prison takes no responsibility for them.

The mothers either have to feed their children from their own rations or buy food into the prison for them.

www.sudantribune.com...

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Great people.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As I said before, if she is hurt, military action should be taken against Sudan. We can remove the government and end the genocide in Darfur too, but sadly, Brown lacks the ability to do anything.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Those that sit behind their computers in the relative safety provided by western nations and pontificate that the common people in police states like Sudan should take to the streets in protest are at best naive, or simply unaware of what conditions are like there.

Here are some examples of what happens on a regular basis to those who protest publicly.

At the University of Khartoum, an NIF loyalist shot dead a female student who was taking part in a peaceful demonstration against the regime's new administrative and financial policies. A number of impoverished women and children were killed while protesting at the government's destruction of their homes in the unplanned area of Khartoum known as "Dar al-Salaam".

The security forces, the backbone of the regime, carried out systematic harassment of the leaders of the banned women's organisations. This treatment was dealt out to Fatima Ahmed Ibrahim of the SWU, Sarah al-Fadil Mohamed of the Umma Party Women's Bureau, Sarah Nugdallah of the Umma Party, and Rashidah Abd al-Karim, former minister of social affairs and state minister of education in the 1986-89 period of civilian government. Other prominent detainees included Amal Jabrallah, a physician and trade unionist; Thoriyah al-Tuhami, a housewife; and Amira Hassan Mahdi, who was imprisoned for three years. Fatima al-Ginaid was imprisoned with all her children in the remote desert at Shalla prison, Darfur, together with her husband, a trade unionist detained since the coup.

Most notoriously, the security forces took Buthaina Dokah, a nurse at Khartoum Civil Hospital, to a secret detention centre (or "ghost house") and tortured her to the threshold of insanity. The New York-based Fund for Peace reported on 15 May 1992 that "Buthaina was captured in December 1990 ... The security officers gagged her with her bra and strung her up from the ceiling by her hands (behind her back) and feet, and beat her from morning to midnight. She received this abuse for allegedly using a walkie-talkie. Although she was accused of belonging to the Sudanese People's Liberation Movement (SPLM), in fact she was a part-time employee with Chevron Company of Khartoum. After about two months in the ghost house, Buthaina was transferred to Omdurman Prison where she was kept another month before being released. Immediately on her release, Buthaina had a mental breakdown. As of February 1992, she was institutionalised in a psychiatric hospital, where she suffers from hallucinations and paranoid delusions."

However there is noting to stop Muslims living in western nations from doing more. Their silence speaks volumes.

I will acknowlege that there are some Muslim leaders who have gone on record against this verdict. There should be more.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by II HAL II
news.bbc.co.uk...

Great people.

yes, every tolerance and concession should be extended to our muslim brothers. or else.

and the left leaning, p.c. types among us will facilitate that very thing.

ironic, because they'll be the first against the wall when the revolution they helped precipitate comes.

Annihilation of infidels is the goal of radical Islamists

Infidels Unite!

An Indian writer lays it out - the Islamists intend to dominate all of us. Time to put aside the differences and recognize the real enemy for what it is.

Universal jihadists demand theological, racial, political and cultural supremacy — Islamic imperialism — over the rest of the world. This conflict is between the divine law of Islam and secular, man-made Western jurisprudence. In Islam, religion and politics are inseparable. The Quran is not only the holy book of Muslims; it is also a political doctrine that clearly spells out how Muslims must deal with non-believers.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
I will acknowlege that there are some Muslim leaders who have gone on record against this verdict. There should be more.

Many have gone on television in the UK to protest against this, especially Islamic Human Rights groups. It's nice to see the media is now given voice to moderates within the UK now.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Update:

The Foreign Office is seeking more details from the protest, the ambassador has been called back to explain Sudan's action. More Islamic groups in the UK are speaking out against the unfair treatement of Gillian Gibbons.

The Archbishop of Canterbury has issued a statement and attacked the Sudan government for it's actions. Muslim Council of Great Britain have again come out and called for her release, along with other Islamic groups in the UK. The Federation of Student Islamic Societies (Fosis) of UK and Ireland have joined in and released a statement on behalf of Muslim students declaring support to Gillian Gibbons.

Gordon Brown (so called Prime Minister), has still done nothing.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Many have gone on television in the UK to protest against this, especially Islamic Human Rights groups. It's nice to see the media is now given voice to moderates within the UK now.

i wonder how many of them will be targeted and dealt with later, their brothers are watching, make no mistake.

protesting over the treatment of a woman, hmm? well, its a step in the right direction, but could also simply be window dressing....

the latest example of how women are regarded differently in their culture:

Iran: Use of the word women 'banned from state TV'

Tehran, 29 Nov. (AKI) - The word 'women' must now be replaced on Iranian state television by 'family', reformist Norouz news agency reports.

In programmes broadcast throughout the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against women last Sunday, Iranian state TV used the world family instead.

In recent weeks, Iran's Centre for the Participation of Women changed its name to the Centre for Family Matters.

At the time of former reformist president, Mohammad Khatami, the centre was set up within the president's office.

Khatami was president of Iran from 1997 to 2005.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   

But what can we do? Brown hasn't got the balls to send in a military team to get her.

...we REALLY shouldn't of sent Tony packing

Didn't you Brits realize this before you voted him in?

Here's what life in Sudan is like, btw:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   

i wonder how many of them will be targeted and dealt with later, their brothers are watching, make no mistake.

protesting over the treatment of a woman, hmm? well, its a step in the right direction, but could also simply be window dressing....

As I said before,

generalising and stereotyping isn't a good thing.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

As I said before,

generalising and stereotyping isn't a good thing.

whats worse is pretending that sharks dont all behave like sharks.

unfair generalising? or consistent reputation on record?

for unfair generalisation to exist, there must be its opposite, known as fair generalisation, can you imagine what that looks like?

to the unfamiliar, they may be indistinguishable, likely from the reflexive assumption that all gerneralisation must be bad. propaganda is an effective tool, and this is what has been pounded into our heads for ages...

in general, the aids virus will kill you. it must be eradicated and avoided and not be given safe harbor in any way.

a fair generalisation, wouldnt you agree?

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Oh man! I didn't need to see that.....Of course not all sudan is like this.

the caption read: As one of the world’s worst atrocities unfolds in Darfur, some 600 miles to the west, young women enjoy the good life at the Ozone Café in Khartoum, including ice cream and outdoor air-conditioning.

Here young, rich Sudanese, wearing ripped jeans and fancy gym shoes, sit outside licking scoops of ice cream as an outdoor air-conditioning system sprays a cooling veil of mist. Around the corner is a new BMW dealership unloading $165,000 cars.

“I tell people you only live this life once,” said Nada Gerais, a saleswoman.

While one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises continues some 600 miles away in Darfur, across Khartoum bridges are being built, office towers are popping up, supermarkets are opening and flatbed trucks hauling plasma TV’s fight their way through thickening traffic.

www.nytimes.com...

MADNESS!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Oh man! I didn't need to see that.....Of course not all sudan is like this.

the caption read: As one of the world’s worst atrocities unfolds in Darfur, some 600 miles to the west, young women enjoy the good life at the Ozone Café in Khartoum, including ice cream and outdoor air-conditioning.

Here young, rich Sudanese, wearing ripped jeans and fancy gym shoes, sit outside licking scoops of ice cream as an outdoor air-conditioning system sprays a cooling veil of mist. Around the corner is a new BMW dealership unloading $165,000 cars.

“I tell people you only live this life once,” said Nada Gerais, a saleswoman.

While one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises continues some 600 miles away in Darfur, across Khartoum bridges are being built, office towers are popping up, supermarkets are opening and flatbed trucks hauling plasma TV’s fight their way through thickening traffic.

www.nytimes.com...

MADNESS!!!!

just dont name your new bmw 'mohammad'!

sounds like a press release directly from the sudan chamber of commerce... the nyt will print anything

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thousands call for the death of the teacher.

Freak'n idiots.

And we are freak'n idiots for sending billions in aid to this cesspool.

We should be demanding certain CIVILIZED behaviors in order for them to get our aid.

Calling for a kindly teacher to be put to death for allowing students to name a teddy bear is NOT the kind of behavior we should be supporting with our $$$.

I swear - sending aid to prop up these cultures just interferes with the desperately needed NATURAL SELECTION process.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join