It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Teacher Faces 40 Lashes for Naming Class Teddy Bear 'Muhammad'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
and also SHE didn't name the teddy, a seven year old child named the teddy.... so stop your muslim bashing and realise that you might just have misheard things....

but SHE is supposed to get the whipping for it. That's part of the reason I labeled it barbaric.

If angry men have gathered outside, then don't blame their religion, they are angry, they are obviously mistranslating the situation and probably don't have access to any decent media there, so no doubt they are getting chinese whispers...

Why not blame their religion for teaching them to get angry over such inconsequential things as the name of a teddy bear, or a cartoon drawing? And what about that poor woman in saudi arabia getting whipped for getting raped? Another example of muslim sharia barbarism.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

And yet, they name THEMSELVES Mohammad. Every Muslim I know is named Mohammad. What gives? Any Muslims want to answer that? Thanks.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

It's kinda like our version of John.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Uh, maybe mr lizard is not sympathetic to his fellow Brits because he might be one of the "more recent arrivals" over there. There, was that PC enough for the lot of you?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't know if they actually GIVE the people these lashes or if they are merely symbolic.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Oh, and criticize the COUNTRY *not* the religion.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
I don't know if they actually GIVE the people these lashes or if they are merely symbolic.

Yes, they do.

They also cut off heads, hands and other body parts as a "symbolic" (and barbaric) gesture towards the crime they feel was committed.

And multiple countries, but same religion. You do the math ...

[edit on 11/26/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

OK, wiseguy, you know that they always give them the lashes how?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
Oh, and criticize the COUNTRY *not* the religion.

It's what I've been trying to say but nobody listens...
More fun to hate a whole bunch of people, kinda like how some people broad-brush all Americans as idiotic flag waving ultra-patriots. :shk:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Time to stop apologizing for these muslim's actions and start condemning them for what they are - barbaric.

I have to agree here. Imagine that.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

OK, naive-guy. Read the news, any news. Pick a source, any source.

Example: If the (barbaric) saudis really don't plan on whipping the rape victim 200 times and then putting her in prison, then why are they so upset about the western (civilized) reaction to it?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

I understand what you are saying..........however....why dont the majority of those practicing the religion stand up and denounce this? Why doesnt the UN step in and make issue with it - like they do with things regarding this country?

I continually hear about muslims denouncing the horrible treatment by non-Muslims....but where are the masses crying out about the horrible treatment by their own people?

[edit on 26-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

But, that still doesn't explain why naming a teddy bear is worth 40 lashes and naming your child or changing your name is any different. Aren't you idolizing the name when you name your child Muhammad?

apc

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The problem here, as usual, is not any one religion.

It is theocracy. Any government that is ruled by a set of religious ideals will appear barbaric to outsiders.

If the US were truly managed under a Christian theocracy, all the gays would be dead, all the women would be voiceless and pregnant, and to question the holy leaders would get your head bashed in with a rock.

The specific religion in question has nothing to do with this. It is the reliance on theology to run a country that must be condemned.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I'll second this. Nice way of looking at it.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

It is theocracy. Any government that is ruled by a set of religious ideals will appear barbaric to outsiders.

If the US were truly managed under a Christian theocracy, all the gays would be dead, all the women would be voiceless and pregnant, and to question the holy leaders would get your head bashed in with a rock.

The specific religion in question has nothing to do with this. It is the reliance on theology to run a country that must be condemned.

You've hit the nail square on the head

link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I have no doubt they were going to imprison the rape victim, but I still think the 200 lashes were probably just symbolic. Such a punishment would probably be fatal, I don't think the Saudis are going to kill her and risk even more bad press than they've already got.

link   
reply to post by apc

But they are doing these things in the name of their religion - not in the name of their country.....and the rest of the religion sits by and says nothing.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

This is exactly the truth. Well said.

The problem here is that there is currently only one major religion with theocracies in place and trying to establish more - islam.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's totally disingenuous to say that Muslims don't stand up against this kind of cruelty...there are plenty of Muslim civil rights organizations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join