It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would YOU kick it to Hester?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Im dumbfounded, all throughout this past week, here in Denver we be listening to coach Shanahan and punter Todd Sauerbrun saying that they were going to kick it to Devin Hester of the Bears.

I thought that it was just a bunch of crazy talk because last time that we were on a similar situation, fighting to stay alive in the playoff picture, needing as much W's as we can get, they where saying the same thing when we came to play KC and we all Broncos fans remember what happen to us on that game that we decided to kick it to Dante Hall.

www.youtube.com... (from 1:10 to 1:40)

It seems to me that sometimes EGO gets in the way of some coaches. Why would you kick it to this guy?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I wouldn't kick it anywhere near that guy. Talk about a phenom. We are witnessing a legend, and he is scary good. I'd personally kick it out of bounds before I let him lay his hands on the ball.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I would most certainly kick it to him, and I'll tell you why...

As a coach, you have to have confidence in your players and their ability. If you go out and tell your special teams to kick out of bounds or kick away from a certain player, you are basically telling them they aren't good enough to defend this guy. In that one simple call you are completely shattering the confidence of your team.

The best way to handle Hester is to tell your team to kick it directly to him and then shut him down. That way they have the confidence in themselves to make the play.

Just my opinion though...

JbT

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I kind of agree.

You cant show weakness. Its just as possible that Hester could fumble the ball on the tackle...if there is one.

I really think its a gamble you have to take. Its kind of like an 'all-in' in poker.

The only good thing about a return for a touchdown is that it takes very little time off the clock, giving you more time to at least come back. If you give the return team the out of bounds kick every time the Offence then get the ball and all the options to run the clock down...then score too.

My 2cents

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I understand where you guys are coming from, but at this point and knowing that Hester is the biggest offensive threat that Chicago has. Conventional coaching has to say some where that you should neutralize the biggest threat that the other team has.

How many coaches have been burn by not double teaming Randy Moss or T.O.? Look how the Eagle did yesterday against him and they almost won. My point is take the biggest playmaker out and let that the other guys beat you. Granted the Broncos still had a chance to win but the D didnt step up, but still I rather have Grossman trying to beat me all they long than having Hester running like is a freaking high school field day.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
No. Absolutely not.

"Kicking away from him basically tells your special teams they're not good enough to stop him"

So what? Are they earning an NFL paycheck? Are they being paid hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars a year to play a game? They're just going to have to suck it up and take the ego hit.

As a coach, I would do what's best for my team. Not what's best for my players' egos. I'm paid to come up with strategy to help my team win. So it becomes a question of strategy:

A) Kick it to him and have him burn you
B) Force the Bears offense to beat you

Hmm..yeah, let's think about that one....

I'll go with B. I know that Grossman to Berrian hook-up is a dangerous one, but I'll take my chances.

You absolutely do not kick to him. He clearly makes a difference. Kicking to him is the equivalent of not covering Randy Moss. You know he can beat you, but you're not doing everything you can to stop it. Everything you can do to stop Devin Hester is not kicking to him.

I mean, think about it. Denver lost 37-34 in overtime. If they don't kick to him just ONE of those times, they win 34-30, and it doesn't go to overtime.

You can't be arrogant and let your ego get in the way. Make the smart safe decision and don't kick to him.

[edit on 11/29/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

top topics

join