It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

face scan software can detect genetic illnesses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

face scan software can detect genetic illnesses

"Some conditions are very obvious; for example, you can spot a kid with Down's Syndrome a mile away, but there are over 700 genetic conditions that involve unusual and often very subtle facial characteristics," he said.

"These are sometimes called heart and face syndromes because the development in the embryo of the heart, the face and the brain are closely linked - and that's why if there's something unusual about the face this is often also seen in the brain or the heart. Affected children may have eyes set further apart, ears set lower on the head, a shorter nose, fuller lips, a larger tongue or a mouth narrower than in children of typical development."

The software can analyse and interpret variations in face shape and features between normal and abnormal children Picture: PA
More reasons to value "superficial" beauty. Let's run member photos through this thing

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
That is very interesting. I would worry about it's potential use though. What if someone just looked different because of their genes, with no medical problem what-so-ever. I would worry about people possibly being prematurely or wrongly diagnosed, but I'm sure it has it's value too.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by philosopherrose
That is very interesting. I would worry about it's potential use though. What if someone just looked different because of their genes, with no medical problem what-so-ever. I would worry about people possibly being prematurely or wrongly diagnosed, but I'm sure it has it's value too.
Not to worry, people already do that anyway. At least, computers will be objective.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
the concept is as old as eugenics, so let me ask you a question:

if someone claimed he could identify genetic defects just by looking at body features, what would you call it?

a computer has always been programmed by someone, it does not discriminate individually, but that's not a safeguard in any way, unless the whole process is completely automated, which afaict, it is not.

one example: one could probably come up with sophisticated formulae within complex programs, which link cholesterol levels and blood pressure to life expectancy, all with reasonable accuracy.

the overall value would be a fat zero, though, because arteriosclerosis is limited to arteries, as the name suggests. if it was merely a clogging problem, veins would suffer more (lower pressure and velocity). there are basically two differences between arterial and venous blood, one is blood gasses and the other is pressure. iow, arteriosclerosis is in all likelyhood the result of weakened connective tissue (=collagen deficiency).

search for 'Linus Pauling' for more info.

join