It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Massachusetts high court rules same-sex couples entitled to marry.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The high court of Massachusetts ruled Wednesday that only full, equal marriage rights for gay couples - rather than civil unions - would be constitutional, erasing any doubts that the nation's first same-sex marriages could take place in the state beginning in mid-May.

The court issued the opinion in response to a request from the state Senate about whether Vermont-style civil unions, which convey the state benefits of marriage - but not the title - would meet constitutional muster.

"The history of our nation has demonstrated that separate is seldom, if ever, equal," the four justices who ruled in favor of gay marriage wrote in the advisory opinion. A bill that would allow for civil unions, but falls short of marriage, makes for "unconstitutional, inferior, and discriminatory status for same-sex couples."

The much-anticipated opinion sets the stage for next Wednesday's constitutional convention, where the Legislature will consider an amendment that would legally define marriage as a union between one man and one woman. Without the opinion, Senate President Robert Travaglini had said the vote would be delayed.

The soonest a constitutional amendment could end up on the ballot would be 2006, meaning that until then, the high court's decision will be Massachusetts law no matter what is decided at the constitutional convention.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Kano]

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Good...more power to em. I hope other states follow suit and stop using religion as a crutch.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by medic
Good...more power to em. I hope other states follow suit and stop using religion as a crutch.

Yup, i'm a firm believer in free choice too, this is a victory for civil liberties as well as LGBT's.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The sanctity of marriage will be a key component of the Bush platform in Novemeber.
Though it's a tough glass house to throw rocks at - he evidently didn't give to much thought to what fundamentalists say marriage is for ( procreation & child rearing) by example of his kids & nieces & nephews. His brother went on South East Asian sex tours & is currently getting his DNA pulled to test if he fathered a child while still married to Sharon Bush ( whom he discarded like a used tissue ). You also have Cheney's daughter as a Gay right advocate.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is Amazing!

Like I said before, "Thier is no Homosexuality, only Homophobics"

Deep

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Yes but a populus important state like OHIO voted against this same type of legislation recently too. The battle lines are being drawn now.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The Neo,

One brick starts off a brick house.

Deep

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

We've been living with these Puritanical beliefs for too long now.
The Declaration of Independence says every American is entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Prohibiting a marriage between two consenting adults, regardless of their gender, certainly seems to me a way to thwart that pursuit.
And let's not forget that whole "separation of church and state" thing ... is there any non-religious reason why gay marriage has been prohibited?

-B.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
THIS ALL LEADS TO BANNING THE BIBLE, THIS IS MERELY WINDOW DRESSING FOR THE TRUE INTENTION.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by razorbackhater
THIS ALL LEADS TO BANNING THE BIBLE, THIS IS MERELY WINDOW DRESSING FOR THE TRUE INTENTION.

Give.

Me.

A.

Break.

Thumbs up to Mass for allowing two human beings to be happy and commit to each other.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon

Give.

Me.

A.

Break.

Thumbs up to Mass for allowing two human beings to be happy and commit to each other.

YOU MUST OF NEVER READ THE BIBLE, ROMANS1 CLEARLY STAES WHAT I'M GETTING AT, THE BIBLE WILL BE LABELED HATE LITERATURE...HOW CAN IT NOT BE? THEREFORE WHY IS BANNING THE BIBLE NOT COMING? DON'T WANNA OFFEND THE...WHATEVER YOU CALL THEMS DO WE?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

YOU MUST OF NEVER READ THE BIBLE, ROMANS1 CLEARLY STAES WHAT I'M GETTING AT, THE BIBLE WILL BE LABELED HATE LITERATURE...HOW CAN IT NOT BE? THEREFORE WHY IS BANNING THE BIBLE NOT COMING? DON'T WANNA OFFEND THE...WHATEVER YOU CALL THEMS DO WE?

Are you off your meds?

The bible will never be labled hate literature. There are too many christians in the world for that to happen. Hopefully there are enough people in the world who can see that trying to stop two people from loving each other is wrong. I will refer you to this post by voice of doom...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A letter to queen of all evil Dr. Laura....Fits this area as well I think..

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I highly doubt the banning of the Bible my freind.
People might begin to question it more.

Deep

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Hooray!

If society is becoming more 'liberal', basically, more free...then why is this coming down to banning the bible?

Anyhow this is great news and I hope this sticks a thorn in Mr. Bush's side, or eye I don't care.

BTW, is that a photo from the men of that TV show? Kind of an odd picture to put on there...oh well.

-Hedda

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
personally dont see the problem. If they want to marry let em, dosent cause me a problem.

what I do have a problem with is their ability to adopt children which is near enough law in UK now.

The law was originaly brought in so Im led to believe is so that gay auntie or uncle could adopt a deceased siblings children, that I have no problem with.

what does make me ponder is the adoption laws which allow gay couples to adopt ad hoc.

the children in childrens homes have not normally had the most stable of upbringings and the last thing they need is to be adopted by a gay couple, with the taunts that brings from "normal" children at school. lets face it as the quote goes

Kids can say the most unkindest of things

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozzie
personally dont see the problem. If they want to marry let em, dosent cause me a problem.

what I do have a problem with is their ability to adopt children which is near enough law in UK now.

The law was originaly brought in so Im led to believe is so that gay auntie or uncle could adopt a deceased siblings children, that I have no problem with.

what does make me ponder is the adoption laws which allow gay couples to adopt ad hoc.

the children in childrens homes have not normally had the most stable of upbringings and the last thing they need is to be adopted by a gay couple, with the taunts that brings from "normal" children at school. lets face it as the quote goes

Kids can say the most unkindest of things

Better to let them rot in government facilities. That's a perfect upbringing. Let them go to a loving home? No way. Lets keep them locked away in misery where people dont even know their names.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I dont see the big deal there just human and should be treated as such. If two people can find happiness in this screwed up world more power to them

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think that is a bit too far Amuk.

The bible will most assurably be called hate speech soon enough.

Smaller and smaller groups of people are getting what they want dispite the majority.

Not that I mind most of them, but when we start getting into NAMBLA country, I begin to get worried.

How much longer until NAMBLA gets to put it's two cents in the game. You might say "aww, that'll never happen"

But tell me, in the 80's, did you ever think that openly gay marrage would be happening? Probably not.

The bible will become more and more controvertial as social norms become more and more against it. We are moving that way now.

Like I said, I have no problem with them getting married even though I am Christian.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Marriage ain't about love. It's society's way of trying to get loveless couples to stay together long enough to take care of the kids, and to provide a legal basis for family names and inheritance and such trivia.

There is no reaon for gay marriage and abandoning thousands of years of tradition. I don't think it is advisable for two horny guys to adopt young boys either.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Capone
Marriage ain't about love.

There is no reaon for gay marriage and abandoning thousands of years of tradition. I don't think it is advisable for two horny guys to adopt young boys either.

You obviously don't know much about love Capone. Thousands of years of tradition? What tradition are you referring to, the wrongfull persicution of homosxuals through history? Or Christianity which essentially means the same thing ..

I think this is a great step forward, good to hear.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join