It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for an Emergency Kit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've had an emergency kit sitting in my basement for a while but I don't feel it is complete. I've got family members depending on me.

How long do you think I should plan for? I'm in Ontario Canada.

So far I've got:

candles
lighter
AM radio ( batteries)
quartz wrist watch
can and bottle opener
swiss army knife
canned fruit
bottled water ( how often should I replace it?)
first aid kit
flash light ( batteries)
canned tuna
blankets

[edit on 26-11-2007 by x-phile]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This kit may or may not be enough. What type emergency are you preparing for? If it is T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I. Then you aren't even close. If it is a power outage for a couple of days you might be O.K. However I don't think a couple of blankets would be enough in Ontario in the winter! Just trying to help.

Respectfully

Reluctantpawn.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It really depends on which type of situation you think might happen. What you have is a good starting point for a home survival kit. If you think we are on the brink of something catastrophic their are many threads discussing everything you could ever need.

I take a view that localised desasters are far more probable than (for instance) a metior strike, so i plan accordingly.

Presuming you are planning for electrical outages caused my a major storm which means no shops open etc.

Food, you could make your desaster a little better by having more than tinned tuna. Think about buying a small camping stove that you can heat up other sorts of tinned food. Chocolate, dried fruit and jerky also have the ability to be stored for long periods of time. How much to stockpile depends on how long you think your family would be without help. 2 weeks food per person would probably see out any storm. Their is always what is in the cupboards aswell.

Water,quite a nice threadHerethat explains all about storing water. I just buy packs of 6x2Litre water but i use it all the time for work so i change it out as i use it. That thread tells you alot about storing water tho.

As far as clothing and blankets go, you probably have the right clothes for the conditions, but i would see if you can get a portable propane heater which would heat up a room and lift morale.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by x-phile

This has been discussed millions of times, what's the point of creating a new thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are tons.. use the search function before posing, please.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
A couple of things for you:

I plan my kit and BoB for 3 days a piece, if you are planning on hunkering down at home you may want to increase that to a week.

A good rule of thumb on water is have a gallon per person per day (2 quart minimum but better safe then sorry), I buy bottled water anyways (slightly allergic to chlorine, and the amount in the city water is enough to make me sick) so I just rotate my stock on a weekly basis, most bottles of water (if you purchased sealed bottles of water) should have an expiration date on them, usually about a year or so.

Another thing you might want to invest in is crank powered flashlights and radios, that will save on battery consumption. I just picked up a 2 pack of pretty nice LED crank flashlights that hold a serious charge for $15.

I would maybe trade in the swiss army knife for a leatherman style multi-tool, and get a good lockblade knife.

In the ways of food, maybe a little more variety, just a little change in the menu can lift spirits.

With you being in Ontario, make sure you have enough supplies to keep your family warm, maybe some mylar space blankets, and some of those chemical hand warmers? Toss one of those puppies in a space blanket and it should keep you nice and toasty I would assume.

If your hunkering down at home, you have all sorts of resources at your disposal, so make sure to keep your options open, and keep you and yours safe.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
This kit may or may not be enough. What type emergency are you preparing for? If it is T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I. Then you aren't even close.

Reluctantpawn.

What is that?

I'd like to plan for the short run and long run. A typical power outage and the longer "end of the world" scenario. After the latest reports about nukes and the terrorist plot to attack a military base in Arizona I feel it is the right time to start planning.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaG
reply to post by x-phile

This has been discussed millions of times, what's the point of creating a new thread?

There are tons.. use the search function before posing, please.

Sorry, but I don't know what a bugout or AWOL bag is so I couldn't search on those keywords. I did a search by the way and didn't find a list. There seems to be threads that touch on the subject but I figured one central thread titled "emergency kit" might be a good idea in light of the current situation.

Thanks, I'll look at the threads you suggested.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I.
The end of the world as we know it. While this may not be accurate, to prepare for such takes a lot of study and preparedness. This event may not truly be the end of the world but would be catastrophic enough that help would not be available for a very long period of time. The first thing that you really need is a good all around knowledge base. Everything from basic first-aid to handyman chores to farming. There are actually a number of good books on long term preparedness. Also check with the Morman church. They have a long standing on food storage. I would recommend looking in some of the alternate press. Delta Press and Paladen Press come to mind. A particular author comes to mind ,Ragnar Bensen.[sp.] You may not like some of what he says but he knows how to get along in a pinch. I also am a firm believer that the supplies you buy should be the best that you can afford. Do you really want you and your loved ones lives depending on cheap flimsy supplies. A few good dependable tools are better than a lot of poor ones. Some items will of course vary, nutritional need and medical needs are a good example. Stock up on meds, you may not be able to get them in a tight spot, but watch shelf life. Climatological conditions should also be taken into account. I know this is a lot to digest and there is still a lot more. Being prepared is as I said earlier is more of a mental approach than having a lot of stuff. Skills and knowledge will get you farther than food and weapons. Ireally hope this helps

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by x-phile
I've had an emergency kit sitting in my basement for a while but I don't feel it is complete. I've got family members depending on me.

How long do you think I should plan for? I'm in Ontario Canada.

So far I've got:

candles
lighter
AM radio ( batteries)
quartz wrist watch
can and bottle opener
swiss army knife
canned fruit
bottled water ( how often should I replace it?)
first aid kit
flash light ( batteries)
canned tuna
blankets

[edit on 26-11-2007 by x-phile]

You should also keep a DC battery (a few of them actually) and steel wool as you can make fire easily with them in a pinch:

www.youtube.com...

Also emergency kits should be replaced every three years. Canned foods are not the best foods. I suggest dehydrated foods and goods in glass jars rather than cans.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Sleeping bags are a must item if you live up north. preferably pick out ones that have comfort temperatures around -10. Those will keep you alive in all situations. Sleeping bag is 100% better than space blankets of other blankets.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DropInABucket
Another thing you might want to invest in is crank powered flashlights and radios, that will save on battery consumption. I just picked up a 2 pack of pretty nice LED crank flashlights that hold a serious charge for $15.

Can you suggest a reliable brand of crank powered flashlights (and radios) and/or a place to buy from?
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
some useful things off the top of my head..

a mirror
needle & cotton
tea tree oil (essential antiseptic)
large sheet of plastic (useful cover and wind protection)
thin roll of polystyrene (good for sleeping on to keep the cold off)
scissors (if your army knife doesn't have them)
carrier bags
rope
pens & paper
compass
good map of the area
grind the top of an old can for a cup
keep a spare pair of walking shoes and a rucksack
dont forget spare lighter fluid to go with your lighter (or matches in a waterproof bag)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Are you planning on getting the heck out of dodge when the feces hit the rotating blades, or are you planning on barricading yourself in? It all depends on what your plan is.

Personally, I believe in preparing for both.

top topics

join