It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last of the last MIRAGE 2000-5 Mk.II to Hellenic Air Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Delivery of the last MIRAGE 2000-5 Mk.II to Hellenic Air Force

Fifteen brand new aircraft have been manufactured in France

I don't want to dig this up but, M2K is in production, we were told that the production ceased.

mod edit: changed quote tags to external quote tags
Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 26-11-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
But according to that link, production HAS ceased, these were the last Mirage 2000's to be built.

I can only surmise that you are referring to India when you say 'we' in relation to why it is not on offer for the IAF.

For India to keep the Mirage 2000 in production they would have to start taking delivery immediately now that the last outstanding order has been completed. India has not yet even decided which type of fighter it requires and so Dassault cannot have the Mirage production line stood idle for a couple of years while India makes up its mind, therefore the statement that it is not an option due to it being out of production is correct, plus Dassault now needs *someone* to buy the Rafale, which is a much better plane anyway.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You are right. Thats how they lost most of the deals. It seems Morrocan deal is lost too.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gopal.suri

Yes, as I understand it the Moroccans have selected the F-16. How on earth do the F-16 and F-15 keep racking up sales? Is it because they are 'proven' (otherwise known as 'old'), or are the Americans back up to their old tricks which saw the F-104, unbelievably, selected by several air forces despite being outclassed by everything else that was offer at the time (not saying they are, just wondering
).

Of course the F-16 and F-15 are great aircraft, legendary even.

But so are the Spitfire and P-51 and I don't see anyone queueing up to buy them.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Waynos because I like to humor you I offer up the following news article regarding a possible F-16 "sale". As you can see us Yanks are quite ingenious when it comes to using unwanted hardware to keep foreign products in shelf by making offers others simply cannot refuse.

According to the Croatian newspaper "Nacional", the USA is ready to offer Croatia used F-16s for free. This was the outcome of a recent meeting between the head of the Croatian Air Force and US military officials in the Pentagon.

A Croatian military delegation visited the United States between 10 to 19 September. Top US military officials seemed to be exceedingly satisfied with all joint Croatian-American military operations in Afghanistan.

Source

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
reply to post by gopal.suri

or are the Americans back up to their old tricks which saw the F-104, unbelievably, selected by several air forces despite being outclassed by everything else that was offer at the time (not saying they are, just wondering
).

Just wondering which seclections and what time frame your looking at with the F-104 being outclassed Waynos. What countries are we talking about and what was its competition?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Westy, what a typical low trick from the USA to cheat us out of selling about 8 Typhoons to Croatia.

That does raise a point however, I don't know if Portugal is getting 're-lifed' F-16's or brand new ones. If the former it makes perfect sense from an economic point of view.

Canada, The aircraft I am thinking of are the BAC Lightning, Mirage III, F-106, and (for canada only) the Orenda powered version of the Republic F-105. Starfighters were even ordered by Germany and Canada for the attack role in preference to the HS Buccaneer, a decision that boggles the mind.

Lest anyone doubt the clear superiority of the Lightning over the F-104 you should read 'Testing Early Jets' by Wg Cdr Roland Beaumont. His own comparison of the two types and also the flight test report on the Lightning by Capt Dan Schuyller, USAF (who can only be described as 'ecstatic') are real eye openers.

Schuyller at one point describes the Lightning as 'handling like an F-86' which I confess I had never previously suspected, the F-104 however is described as being 'unpleasant to fly' and also includes the comment 'claims that this is to be the best next generation air superiority fighter look very optimistic'

There is also a conclusion that "the Lightning is the finest of all the mach 2 fighters with the Mirage III and Convair F-106 running it close in all departments except manoeuvrability where the Lightning is supreme"

The F-104 doesn't even merit a mention.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Gopal.Suri feels that the IAF was cheated out of the Mirage Mk5s

new topics

top topics

join