It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Skin in Demand by Darker Races

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's the same thing, you just don't get it.

Not sure what it is you think I don't get????

?? That Paris want to get a tan, and Bollywood stars don't want that tan ??

My point is ignorance makes dark skinned people use these hazardous products, as it makes fair skinned people go in the sun to obtain that 'exotic' tan. Originally that was a concept based on the discovery of vitamines A & D provided by the sun. It was in the thirties and the foundation of a fascist health conceptions and many outdoor movements.

It was contrary to previous conceptions, like pointed out by shadow_D, but the current conception, that excess UV gives skin cancers, has yet to prevail over the present western notion, that a tan signals health.

A recent miss universe from India, was asked how she kept her skin so beautiful, and she answered: To keep it covered from the sun. Basic and ancient old knowledge in that part of the world.

I live in SE Asia, and nowadays they all have television and will use whitners on their skin if they can afford it.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I live in SE Asia too (Thailand) and every cream has whitening.. even deoderant has whitening. It's this simple folks. You can't sell people what they already are. You can't sell white people whitening and you can't sell tan people tanning cream. So they create an image, tell you it's sexy, the Westerners all think tans are sexy, the Easterners all think whiteness is sexy... then you spend money on their trash carcinagenic products to be what you aren't.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   

.0000000000000002 cents

Haha... todays .0000000000000002 cents is tomorrows Dollar.

On topic

Like many of you, I think that the media created these markets. Why does a pale white boy from Ohio have to get into a bed of lights and fry his skin to look 'cool'? Dermatology and its products are to blame for many cancer cases. 'Dark' is a derogatory term in my neighborhood, and outlets like MTV and VH1 are to blame.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Reading this thread, I just realized, what a goldmine the cosmetics industry is, how ethnocentric I am (North American white) and (duh) how the average person is pretty similar everywhere, which sort of underlines what a goldmine the cosmetics industry is.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

A possible explanation is that Michael Jackson bleached his skin to give it a uniform appearance and hide the blotches.

I agree that that is possible, but when you see pictures of him when he was younger, you see no signs of that condition. I don't know that much about the condition, but based on how vitiligo affects the skin's appearance, it seems like something that one would be born with.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well, this is obvious to me.

White people have all the money, and they don't like to share with darker people, on average. So, if you "look" whiter, they're more likely to let you get money.

Forget all that stuff about beauty. People around the world want money, and most of them realize that white people have all of it. So, if they look whiter, they have a shot at getting some of that white money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join