It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Skin in Demand by Darker Races

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
edition.cnn.com...

This is not meant to be a racist topic but I wonder if dark skinned people demand these creams then what is their logic and basis ?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You bet they demand them, they crave them.

To be darkskinned means you work in the sun. The logic is simply by whitening the skin to give the impression you don't work in the sun. Because if you do it means you are poor. And nobody wants to give that impression.

That immigrants use it in Britain I can only ascribe to stupidity, but a fact is cosmetics won't sell East of Bosperus if they don't have the label "contains whitening agents".

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

I'm East Indian, and i've used it, don't generalize on something you are unsure about.

Yes alot of east indians want whitenining products, and you are somewhat correct about the working in the sun theory, but it doesn't apply to everyone.

White people want to be tanned, and brown(east indian) want to remain the color they naturally have. Unfortunately brown ppl(east indians) get darker in the sun faster than any other race, so we use these products sometimes to reverse that effect.

Also i try not to shave that often, only once a week, because when brown ppl shave often, we get darker for some reason.

White people want to be tanned, indians want to keep their natural complexion. That's all.

I've never encountered a withening product that worked however, it only widens your pore holes.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
ModernAc

Very interesting to hear from someone who has used the creams and shed some light on the reasoning, you are correct in saying white people try and make their skins darker by baking themselves in the sun for hours. I tend to think its just human nature to crave something they don't have.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
and white people are obsessed with getting a tan and being darker!

i love my pallor!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
you can find a few from any race that would change their skin color or hair or almost any thing. some people just want to be diffrent from others.

i must say ive never heard of a skin whitening cream.

but if you want to be whiter just ask michael jackson.

if any one knows how to its him.

so does it really work?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

Jackson claims he has vitiligo and that's responsible for the whitening of his skin, I don't know if that's true or not.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

i heard the same thing. back when i watched and even owned a tv i saw a show on either vh1 or entertainment tv that said it was true.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I used to work with someone who had vitiligo. I know that one person with that condition does not represent everyone with it, but that person and Michael Jackson look waaaaaaay different.

The person that I knew had white splotches here and there... on his arms, hand, face, leg. Not an even, all-over color like Michael Jackson. I don't really buy MJ's vitilgo story.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

A possible explanation is that Michael Jackson bleached his skin to give it a uniform appearance and hide the blotches.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a lot of times, the cream is used to bleach spots from scars or past breakouts or age, and not just because someone wants to have lighter skin.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Well... I can guaranty in South and East Asia there are hundred of millions of women who use it solely for bleachin their skin.

Because --unfortunately-- white is the colour and the ideal, despite the fact that these women might be the victims of the suppression of the very ideal they adore.

As it is to get noses and eyes fixed, a VERY big business in SE Asia.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Don't be so harsh, KM, let people do what they want!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Yes, they get skin cancer trying to get rid of their tan, white women get it from trying to obtain that tan.

Why I should care? Because I'm here to deny ignorance.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

A possible explanation is that Michael Jackson bleached his skin to give it a uniform appearance and hide the blotches.

i dont lik mj and think hes a sick child molester but the vid i mentioned earlier said that he did have some work done so an to not have the blotches anymore and to have an even tone. but i dont know that to be fact just what i saw on the matter..

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

and white ppl get skin cancer from SPF creams.
What's ur point?

I've been to SE asia, lived there, and not as a tourist but to see family.
Even been to village areas.

Some of these ppl don't even know what a lightening cream is as they don't even have a television.

The media tells white america that they should look like Paris Hilton and the indian media tells them they should look like Bollywood stars.

It's the same thing, you just don't get it.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I have a close personal friend that is Hispanic. She told me that several years ago she had skin bleaching done (by a cosmetic/plastic surgeon I think).

I don't understand why she did it, but apparantly it made her feel better, so I guess that's all that matters.

I guess it's like people changing any part of their appearance for any reason. I would hope that in this day and age people wouldn't feel like they NEED to change their skin color for prejudice sake.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is something i also don't understand, just last week I came back from the Philippines. Stayed 5 weeks to see family. I was talking to my family there and they even admitted most Filo's wanted to become white just like Americans or they don't swim because they don't want to become even more darker. On their tv all their ads are just about whitening creams. I come from Australia so it was cultural shock for me.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The American media (including movies, tv, music, magazines, etc.) is ubiquitous throughout much of the world. While the media has made strides toward presenting a more diverse world in recent years, the ideal of beauty is still basically an anorexic, blue-eyed young blonde. People who want to identify with American culture, and the privilege that represents, maybe try to conform to that image. It seems egocentric to think that everyone in the world is looking to America to give them models of "perfection," but the fact remains that culture is one of the U.S.'s biggest exports.

Beyond that, maybe it's just human nature to want to be different from what you are. When I was seventeen I started dying my hair because I thought my natural hair color wasn't good enough--any other color was better. Today that seems silly.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I love how different times and cultures inspires different trends. Back during the late 1800's to early 1900's, it was very en vogue to be extremely fair skinned and Rubenesque in figure. This meant that you were wealthy enough to stay in doors and eat and enjoy life. While people then who were tanned were outdoor laborers.

Then as time went on, it was now very chic to be very tanned and skinny. This meant that you were wealthy enough to travel a lot and lounge on exotic beaches or by spa pools. And the very fair skinned were deemed slaves to their office cubicles and never left their desks.

It is very interesting to see how much impact marketing really does have on the main populous of this world. I personally never cared either way whether I'm fair or tanned. I have far more important things in life to worry about or focus on.

My .0000000000000002 cents..

[edit on 27-11-2007 by shadow_D]

[edit on 27-11-2007 by shadow_D]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join