It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which gaming laptop is better

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I need help and advice on what gaming laptop to purchase.
I have around $4000 to spend on one.
Desktops are easy choices but laptops are harder choices.
Any help or advice would be accepted happily.
Thanks.
P.S.
Which is better Alienware laptops, Dell gaming laptops or ASUS laptops.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ok this may be a stupid question but here goes, why would you want to buy a laptop to play games on? Wouldn't a desktop be better and it is more upgradeable in terms of graphics cards etc when they change? Just a question obviously.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a build-to-order would probably be a good idea ... the sum of the parts mean more than the name on the cover.

I would also agree that a desktop is much better for gaming, but you might need a laptop, and 4000 gets you a nice one.

PLEASE read all of the following before you write it off ...

Have you considered Apple? I know, you are going to say, there are not many games for Apple, right? Wrong ... the new Apple OS allows you to buy Vista (or XP) and run it NATIVELY on the Mac, as well as Linux, in 32 or 64 bit.

So ... for 4,000 you can get a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (4-cores) 4 MB shared L2 cache, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM, 200 GB SATA HD @ 7200 RPMS, 17 HD screen (1920x1200), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB GDDR3 RAM video card, and pick up a copy of Vista or XP ... and have the best of both worlds. XP is cheap, and I found a 'black edition' that claimed to be free. The Mac automatically installs the drivers for the hardware for windows to operate properly.

You could also get better hardware if you go for desktop (iMac, MacPro-(if you have a good monitor)).

If you are hardcore PC lover ... play around with the build-to-order stuff at computer sites like TigerDirect.com or better places.

I say do lots of research until you feel very secure within yourself that you will be satisfied with you purchase ... $4000 is a decent amount of money

I personally would want a AMD dual quad-core with a couple ATi crossfire PCI x16 graphics cards if I was going to build a nice PC ... and the MacPro can be built quite crazily to those with money to burn (up to 4 graphics cards, 16 GB RAM, 3 TB HD, 2-quad-core pentium xeons).

Best of luck, hope you find just what you are looking for.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Okay, repeat after me:

"Laptops are not for gaming"
"Laptops are not for gaming"

Get a desktop if you don't want to deal with the headaches and heartbreak later. If you're still stubborn and want to get a laptop anyway -- from your list, choose Alienware. The other two brands are just wannabe gaming laptops.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I respect your opinions but mac's are apple, and apple is aple so don't touch and laptops are for gaming, the one im typing on right now has duo 2.2 ghz Cpu, Nvidia 8600GT 512 and 300gb HDD and 3gb Ram. It can play any games on the market.

apple

[edit on 30-11-2007 by vincebaby]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by vincebaby

If you want an awesome gaming laptop then I suggest Alienware
Didn't want to make this a one liner so typed this.

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Solarskye]

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Solarskye]

top topics

join