It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I thought i would come here, because i know there are very smart people here

once again i am here for help
last time proved to save me emmensly.

I have to do some extra credit for my physics class in order to receive the grade. Sadly, i have procrastinated a bit too much again ha

If anyone could help, please post

First Extra Credit
Use binoculars to monitor how an assigned star varies in brightness. Record how much the brightness changes and how long one cycle of the change takes.

Second
Record the moons phase and position in the star field nightly for five weeks to measure the length of two kinds of month, sidereal and synodic

Third
photograph the moon nightly for a month. Measure the changes in its size and discover how wits distance from the earth varies during the month.

Luckily, i have an extra credit problem i can sub in for those.
Extra credit i can switch in:
Measure the altitude of the Sun or Polaris from two latitudes at least 200 miles apart. You must build the measuring device, measure the altitudes to an accuracy clearly better then 1%, and use their difference to calculate the Earth's circumference.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated

-Helpless student again

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarSystmHELP
once again i am here for help
last time proved to save me emmensly.

"once again" ? Funny, I'm seeing this, as your only post.

Did you mean you found help, by just reading, before joining , or did you have a different screen name?

I'm curious, what kind of help were you looking for?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm just wondering if you're looking for answers and not willing to do the research yourself. You've explained everything you need to do to get the credits, so now all you have to do is get busy and do the work.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
See, a lot of us can be hired for certain refreshing liquids, but since that's a bit hard over the internet.....

But hey, even if you don't get the answers, just tell them the computer ate your homework.

And stick around then and learn enough for the next test to be a snap.

And welcome (officially) to ATS.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well , I procrastinated more then i should have, or i would not have asked for help

Sadly I have to get them done and I did not know if anyone on the forums I always have read already had info on the extra credit ha

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
A more tactful way to go about it is to ask for assistance (how to best achieve the answers on your own, sites, etc.) ... not the answers themselves.

It may be extra credit, but it should be credit you earn

We wouldn't want to abuse the education system now, would we?

This must be college physics to have an option to travel 200 miles with a device you created ... 400 miles round trip for a bit of extra credit, jeez.

Hint: You might be able to use some of the astrological sites that plot the stars and moon ... and can backtrack in time with it. Don't know exactly how you would fudge the dataset to represent real work, but maybe if you are creative enough

Next time, start earlier, and ask for advice help on how to achieve your goal more swiftly or better resources to aid in your own research and efforts.

We don't want people working on the Mars transport systems who got their answers from scientists on the net

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
It's your course, I think you should earn your own credits like the rest of your class, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
haha yes i probably should, but it was worth the try.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarSystmHELP

I do like your honesty in the matter, as well as your grace in being turned down on the help with your work.

I invite you to invest some free time here, when you have it to spare, and learn with us. I think you would be a fine addition to our community.

And maybe next time, you'll have the answers well before the deadline just from what you learn here.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I agree with Pencil-guy.

But why not use the ATS search function? Maybe you'll find something apropos.

Good luck and welcome to ATS.

new topics

top topics

join