It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pop-UP Two Buck Stove

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum.
I design and build biomass cooking stoves for people in developing regions.
Some of my designs would work in survival situtations.
I plan to make my designs open source if I can find sponsors an donors and I may do a methods manual to market later if ther is interest.
My Pop-Up Two Buck Stove cooks 1.1 kilos of rice with 150 grams of oak or babmoo.
Please view my Youtube video "lannyplans"
www.youtube.com...
Ther could be a element of self promotion here since I may do books later so let me know before I violate any rules.
I am happy to find this interesting site.
Stoveman

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That looks very handy. And good for more than survival too. Budget campers should really like this one.

Now if you can get the wood to chop itself for me, I'm on board.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It's pretty cool, but I do have one complaint in it's design. It looks like it's COG is to high. I would be afraid it would tip over easily.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It seems like a really simple, easy design except for one thing I'm unsure of.... you make reference to a "burner" (ie. "side supply burner"), but never exactly what it is, or what you would make that out of. Do you really need it, or could you cook meat properly with only wood in the bottom of the can?

It also seems like that small amount wood should burn up a lot faster than it does... is there something special about the design that facilitates this?

I'm looking forward to putting one of these together and trying to actually cook with it once I get 4 cans together, and also looking into other similar "home-made" stove designs.

Finally from a health stand-point, is there any risk of cooking using an aluminum-based stove like this, such as having fumes go up into the meat? Same for painting the stove.

A step-by-step construction guide would be nice too

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin

Finally from a health stand-point, is there any risk of cooking using an aluminum-based stove like this, such as having fumes go up into the meat? Same for painting the stove.

A step-by-step construction guide would be nice too

[edit on 11/30/2007 by Yarcofin]

I would stay clear of paint to be on the safe side, but the aluminum will be fine. There are a ton of mess kits that you can cook with made of aluminum. I like the swiss one myself.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stoveman
I design and build biomass cooking stoves for people in developing regions.

Just wanted to say "good on ya" for using your skills and talents to make the world a better place for those less able to do so

edit to add: I've just watched your videos again...I take my hat off to you, genius idea!

[edit on 1-12-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well done. Looks a lot like the traditional ‘hobo stove’, but a bit more efficient.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

Thanks for you interest and good questions.
There is burner made from a 1.36 liter can. It is a top lit design.
My plan is to make many of my designs open source as soon as I get some funding issues settled.
Also thanks for the comments from other subscribers I will keep you posted on the open source designs, it should not be to long.

new topics

top topics

join