It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple question for anyone who wishes to answer.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I propose a question anyone is open to answer, so long as you are willing to think and critically answer each question. This question should be well thought through before answering.

The Question: "Why do you get up in the morning?"
When you get a reasonable answer, ask why? When you find an answer to that, ask another why? Do so until you feel you have given a good solid summery into the entire reasoning behind your answers. Once you do that, post it up.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I get up in the morning to let the dogs out to pee.

why....Because I don't want them peeing in the house.

sorry, I know it's not profound; just the truth!

[edit on 25-11-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I get up in the morning to let the dogs out to pee.

why....Because I don't want them peeing in the house.

So, what you are saying is you get up everyday for no other reason than to let your dogs out?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Can I ask what's the purpose to your post? In other words, what are you trying to get out of it?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Can I ask what's the purpose to your post? In other words, what are you trying to get out of it?

Look up the socrates method of learning.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Gee, thanks a lot. you could have saved me a lot of time by just telling me instead.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Best way to learn is not by teaching some one what you have found but proposing the right questions to the answers they come up with.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by grimreaper797]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Best way to learn is not by teaching some one what you have found but proposing the right questions to the answers they come up with.

Well then,

my question to you is.....

Why do you want to delve into my private life?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Gee, thanks a lot. you could have saved me a lot of time by just telling me instead.

But if you dont want to answer the questions, that is fine. The journey of knowledge is best not made alone, in my own opinion. I know I am far from knowing everything, and there is a good chance I cannot tell you the answer to your questions, but I dont have to. All I have to do to assist a person in their "journey" is to propose a well placed question. If done correctly, you may spark the mind of a genius.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i get up in the morning so i don't starve or dehydrate or soil my bed...

duh.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Well then,

my question to you is.....

Why do you want to delve into my private life?

Because my time can be much better utilized provoking others to think. If done right, it should eventually tie into faith and such. Cant get there until some one is willing to answer every question critically though.

You can't change a person from the outside. A change must be sparked from within, and there is really one efficient way to do that. Thing is, many people don't ask the right questions.

If you count on only yourself to make the journey, you will fall short of your potential as a person.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i get up in the morning so i don't starve or dehydrate or soil my bed...

duh.

So survival. Why do you want to survive?
(I said to think critically about it, but I have yet to see it)

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

i want to survive because i know nothing else but existence.

ya know, sometimes there's no point in critically analyzing things.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Because my time can be much better utilized provoking others to think.

And my time can be much better utilized getting my hands dirty and helping others less fortunate than myself.

Yeah, I agree with madnessinmysoul. What's the point in this exercise?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

And my time can be much better utilized getting my hands dirty and helping others less fortunate than myself.

Yeah, I agree with madnessinmysoul. What's the point in this exercise?

To find out where exactly we all stand. Sometimes the view point of somebody else can make all the difference for another person. Some one may come along and read our responses, and that may cause a spark in their minds. They may not come to the same conclusions, but they read it and it challanges them to think about why they are here.

Maybe it challanges them enough rethink their position on the world. Lets face it, you wouldn't be on ATS if you were not challanged to think at least one time. You would have gotten bored by now and left. You are still here. You are here because from time to time your positions on things are challanged.

Why you are here is an important topic, and one that is worth challanging.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i want to survive because i know nothing else but existence.

ya know, sometimes there's no point in critically analyzing things.

So you are a simple person surviving because it is all you know. So when you are 80 years old and aging fast, you will look back on your life and you survived. I imagine you will be proud. Wouldn't do it any different? You succeeded in your motivation for getting up every morning.

Survival is a losing battle. You will never be content and never have peace. That is survival. But if there is no other reason for you getting up, I feel sorry for you.

As for others, maybe your reasoning will help some one who is unsure along the way.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Ok - try not to get too harsh on me for this one, it is, like all things GE - rather "off the cuff".

Why do I wake up and get out of bed every morning?

There must be some reason for my being here on this planet, and every day yields new insights into my reason for Being, and my reason for Being HERE.

It's not as simple as one grand statement for me. It's a series of steps.

Every day I wake up and go about trying to understand how I can better myself and the people whose lives I touch. Most of the time, I have an interaction of sorts that either capitalizes of my inherent abilities, or else inspires me to learn new avenues of thinking.

Every night, I return to my slumber to meditate on the days events, to dream, and possibly come up with solutions to those questions I did not have the day before.

It's a slow process, but it seems to be working.

Someone or something put me here on this planet at this time for a reason. What that reason is, I'm still learning about.

(please don't rip me to shreds)

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Every day I wake up and go about trying to understand how I can better myself and the people whose lives I touch.

What reason do you do this?

Someone or something put me here on this planet at this time for a reason. What that reason is, I'm still learning about.

Probably the most important part of all is finding that out. Question is, How do you find out what the reason is? Ask questions. Well, what questions do you ask? Where do you start.

What motivates you is the starting point. That is the question I presented to you, just not in such direct terms. Why do you get out of bed is another way of asking "What motivates you?" Obviously finding out why you are here, but is that a search for truth? If so, why are you searching for that truth? If not, what are you looking to gain from the answer you receive when asking "What motivates me?"

The idea is to find what drives you in this world, than more importantly, why. So what drives you? It sounded like:

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Every day I wake up and go about trying to understand how I can better myself and the people whose lives I touch.

Now the question is what reason do you feel compelled to do this?

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
That's a good question, one I've asked myself many times.

What DOES guide this side of myself?

For the answer, I have to look back to my childhood - to who I was before the world made it's plans for me. This is what I discovered.

As a baby, my earliest memories were of wanting to be loved by the people around me - more than anything. I wanted their time and attentions, I wanted to be accepted and cherished and loved above all else.

Then reality hit.

My childhood was a whirlwind of meeting and encountering people who simply DIDN'T care. I either had to be something for them that suited their desires and plans, or else I was ignored, belittled or condemned.

Needless to say, it was very lonely growing up. Very rarely did I ever "connect" with other people on my terms and conditions.

I started to sympathize with the underdogs. The kids at school who were shunned or picked on for whatever reason. Then I started to stand up for them, deflecting attacks from other people.

I came to a crucial point in my late teens when I sat back and looked at the life before me and asked myself what it was I was here to do, what purpose could my life actually serve.

I dug deep into myself for an answer. I remained in solitude for over a week meditating on that question and all it's possible answers. I went back into the recesses of my mind, to the core of my being and realized there was a theme that had predominated my life up to that point.

I found that by taking my knowledge of all I had been through and experienced, and by applying to others the type of behavior that I so desperately wished for in my own life, I could make more friends and allies than by acting the part of the cosmic know-it-all, and therefore have a bit of a happier life myself by association.

Who knows though? I might also be from another planet looking for nothing more than a good friendship base of astute, productive, kind and radically underappreciated section of individuals to take back with me to re-populace my homeworld.

...or it might all be a ploy to enslave the lot of you into my New World Order.

You never know man, you just never know.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Although I wasn't a fan of the Socratic method when I was in law school, I will play along now just for kicks.

I also get out of bed to let the dogs out. And to feed them and my cats. Those animals are my babies, and I chose for them to live with me and be my responsibility... so I get out of bed to do my duty as a pet owner, and show them that I love them.

But I feel like I know what your next question is, and so I will continue.

Taking care of my pets is the reason why I get out of my bed at the time that I do (which is when they wake me up). It is not the reason that I stay out of bed for the rest of the day.

I came through a horrible bout with depression that lasted for a period of years. It was the absolute lowest point in my life, and I have never been so miserable. I would not wish that experience on a single other human being. I wake up and get out of bed every morning because I survived. But more than that... I became a stronger person, and I grow stronger every day.

In 50 years when I look back and see that I have survived that long (hopefully, I will get to survive for another 50 years, or longer!) I will be proud!! I will be proud because I learned a lot from my experience, and I use it to try to help others with similar pain. I feel like it is my duty to do so if it will make a difference to someone else. I am at peace.

I get out of bed to live, and to enjoy life. To bask in the glory of this world, and contribute my energy to the energy of the universe. There was a time in my life when I did not enjoy life, and I did not want to live. I get out of bed out of respect for the person that I was, and for the person that I am becoming.

Here's the same question thrown right back at the OP:

Why do you get out of bed?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join