It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria to Attend Mideast Peace Conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Syria to Attend Mideast Peace Conference

apnews.myway.com

Syria will send its deputy foreign minister to the U.S.-sponsored Mideast peace conference in Annapolis, Md. because the issue of the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights has been added to the agenda, the state-run news agency said Sunday.
The agency, SANA, said Syria will be represented at the conference by Deputy Foreign Minister Faysal Mekdad. The decision was made "after the Syria track was added to the conference agenda," the agency said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.breitbart.com
in.news.yahoo.com

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There are two sides to this story...Israel and Iran. Both say different things...

A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Israel saw the announcement as a positive development.
"The meetings are clearly about the Israeli-Palestinian process, but could be the beginning of new avenues to peace in the Middle East," spokeswoman Miri Eisin said.

Nearly 50 nations and organizations are set to attend the summit. Iran has not been invited.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said before the Syrian announcement that the peace conference would only serve the interests of Israel, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.
"The peace conference has no benefit for the oppressed Palestinian nation. It is only for supporting the Zionists occupiers," Ahmadinejad said.

Who do you believe? I'm pretty sure both countries are spewing propaganda.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/25/2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Actually, I think this is vaguely good news. The Syrians want to talk about the Golan Heights, it's not on the Americans agenda and Israel does want to settle that disputed territory debate, I think this is Syria trying to push for regional peace, no one wants to see Iran attacked, and the former is still on the state-sponsored terrorlist, so, maybe they're looking out for some sort of geopolitical resolve. I'm looking forward to the conference, hopefully it'll be more then previous episodes. . . while the hardline Iran prez is basically calling Syria, 'Zionist sellouts.'

www.nytimes.com...

Also, Israel is looking for peace w/ Hamas, they're out talking that up:

"Israeli Leader Says Ceasefire with Hamas Is Needed"

[edit on 25-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm also thinking that this is good news. It surely couldn't hurt to at least discuss the issue. I'm happy that the US is sponsoring the event, and I'm glad to have the Syrian ambassador come over here to take part.

[edit on 11/25/2007 by cyberdude78]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Olmert warns of 'end of Israel'

Israel's Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has said failure to negotiate a two-state solution with the Palestinians would spell the end of the State of Israel.
He warned of a "South African-style struggle" which Israel would lose if a Palestinian state was not established.

Mr Olmert was returning from the Annapolis conference in the US where he and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas pledged to launch formal peace talks.

Interesting developments. Israel actually wants to share land now? Why don't they give all of it back to the rightful owners?

new topics

top topics

join