It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

think there's something strange about the moon? our moon could be a "rare oddball"...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Earth's Moon is Rare Oddball ...

The moon formed after a nasty planetary collision with young Earth, yet it looks odd next to its watery orbital neighbor. Turns out it really is odd: Only about one in every 10 to 20 solar systems may harbor a similar moon.

New observations made by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope of stellar dust clouds suggest that moons like Earth's are—at most—in only 5 to 10 percent of planetary systems.

"When a moon forms from a violent collision, dust should be blasted everywhere," said Nadya Gorlova, an astronomer at the University of Florida in Gainesville who analyzed the telescope data in a new study. "If there were lots of moons forming, we would have seen dust around lots of stars. But we didn't."

I am not so sure about the theories that say our moon is artificial and the like, but I find it cool that out moon could be a rare one.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
i think its a very shaky conclusion based on the limited observations they have made.

The timing of the creation of our moon could be rare but most planet formation takes place well before our moon was created, i would guess most moons are made during the earlier planet forming process.

There is also so much evidence in our own solar system of collision events like pluto/charon, mercury mantle being stripped and the outer system object Orcus. , I am sceptical of the conclusion that only a small fraction of solar systems undergo such events.

i think the evidence points to the moon being a latecomer more than anything else, and not necessarily rare. Even if its true 10% of systems still gives us billions of moons in our galaxy

[edit on 25-11-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What you talk about is the newest theory from my understanding.

I believe this theory came to light for the first time in the early seventies and wasn't really looked at for a decade or so past that.

In human reality our origins are not known, Earth isn't known. our Moon isn't known well, not much is known about our Solar System.

Everything is theory, best theory or the newest theory.

I have had contact all my life with another species and they told me to make people see that the Planets and the Moons in our Solar System are all the wrong size for one another.

Why they didn't tell me what the difference was I don't know I can only assume it is something that has to be figured out ourselves and it will be when it is the correct time.

I myself at times wonder if our Moon was at one time our second star (Sun) that died. From what I was told our now Moon was one time in the wrong orbit and the Grey's towed it and placed it in the correct orbit hence life.

I could be wrong but from my understanding our Solar System is full of life. What is unique about Earth is the fact that we can walk upon the Earth. The other species are within.

The Grey's have collected plants and animals and they have been terrraforming this Solar System and the Universe to all be Earth like in one form or another. They do use humans just as other species and experiment in the creation of new species. These extremely tall Grey's that are known as the Elders are our Creater's or God's as you call them.
I would say this is the truth that your government tries to keep from you because people most likely will not like this and will not accept this truth.
This is one reason most have become the sheeple of Earth.

Life is not what you have been taught but everyone must go with what they feel is right for themselves and makes them feel the most comfortable.

The time will come for truth but I don't see it at this time.

I believe we all need to learn that life is what we want it to be and make it that way. Go with the good in yourselves and make things right then the answers of truth will start to come forward.

Humans must get off there hands and knee's and start to stand for themselves and help there human family stand when needed.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by observe50]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

Hello they see ALL. 3 months and counting to a new season fellow lostie.

There's alot of theories out there because that's all we can do now until technology and humans landing on the moon and taking better samples for study. I wonder if water had anything to do with the unique formation of our moon. All the other planets don't have the water that earth has.

I can imagine after the collision with earth that later there was a ring of debri like saturn. Now Saturn's rings hasn't coalesced for some reason, but with the earth's huge amount of water and it's pulling and pushing with gravitational force, maybe that had something to do with it being an oddball. That's just my own theory speaking here, but I don't see huge oceans on any of the other planets with moons.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That's because the water is within the Planet's and Moon's and not exactly upon.

It is just going to take what we call time for history to be fully seen and understood. Time is basically a human thingy.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
From my interpretation of a portion of Billy Meier's material, our Moon was once a planet in another solar system. With cataclysmic effects happening there, that planet was sent through space, bouncing off of planets and things, for like a really long time, in the history of things, until finally reaching our solar system. Eventually resting in orbit around Earth.
Anyway, after reading that, I've believed it since. As if it was right.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The moon is also moving away from Earth like an inch per year. If we did not have the moon our Oceans would be dead. The wave movements are due to gravitational forces. This is one way the Ocean gets oxygen. This whole solar system is set up almost like a nursery. It's perfect for jump starting and cultivating life. It's as if it were planed.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by cloakndagger]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Well I have got to agree with the OP's post, it is only this year that I started reading what I could find about our moon and it has left me with more questions than answers.

One anomaly that fascinates me is the case of TLP's, Transient Lunar Pnenomena, brightenings and obscurations of the lunar surface observed over the centuries by astronomers all over the world.

It seems a shame that for a time these observations were not academically recognised.

Here is a NASA report which was publicly available at one time that I can't seem to find on the NASA technical reports server now, that lists many observations of TLP.

Source

One crater in particular, Aristarchus, features heavily in the report and I can see why having looked at this image taken by an amateur astronomer in the uk called Mike Deagen who does some marvelous work considering the limitations he has with the equipment he uses.

Mike's Astroimaging

It might be worthwhile mentioning that this is just a small clip from a complete moon mosaic and Aristarchus crater was not the focus of the end image.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Here are some threads that deal with the moon being artificial and whatnot:

Artificial Moon...
ARTIFICIAL MOON, Bruce Cathie....Your theories?...
The MOON created by Aliens????...................Was it built for us?????...
Hollow Moon Theory facts...
aliens live inside a hollow moon...
Has anyone heard of the Hollow moon theory?...
Why doesn't the moon spin?...

And here is even a thread about one of Saturn's moons being artificial:

A man made moon...

As one might be able to see, this is a hot topic. I am happy that I have created this thread. Thanks for the flags and stars

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I believe that everyone now knows the theory of planet x. It would seem that it is in an elliptical orbit and come in our solar system after millions of years. Therefore, it could be that it passed near earth and one of planet X's own moon which could be the size of mars collided with earth and created the moon as explained in the article.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Ever wonder why there are no prehistoric references to the moon? what you can find are references or rather myths that talk of when the moon was not in our skies.

The period when the Earth was Moonless is probably the most remote recollection of mankind. Democritus and Anaxagoras taught that there was a time when the Earth was without the Moon.(1) Aristotle wrote that Arcadia in Greece, before being inhabited by the Hellenes, had a population of Pelasgians, and that these aborigines occupied the land already before there was a moon in the sky above the Earth; for this reason they were called Proselenes.

www.varchive.org...

Everything (IMO) points to a catastrophe for the entire solar system somewhere between 12,000 and 20,000 years ago. The planetary systems were disrupted by an event, most probably caused by Venus. It gave rise to myth and religion throughout the ancient world.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
As I see it.......if the Grey Elder's requested that I try to make humans see that the Planets and Moons """are all wrong for each other""" in our Solar System there must be a reason. I am the messenger and no one has put any thought into this and talked about it, why?

At least they know I try..............

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
Everything (IMO) points to a catastrophe for the entire solar system somewhere between 12,000 and 20,000 years ago. The planetary systems were disrupted by an event, most probably caused by Venus.

Venus is the real oddball in this solar system in many ways. It rotates the wrong direction (on its axis) and displays violent reaction to solar heating as if it's a recent addition and hasn't settled down to a stable state yet like all the other planets. Perhaps it came in cold from outside the solar system or was knocked from a much further out orbit and what's all those rocks floating about between Mars and Jupiter? hmmm...

Could our moon have been originally a satellite of Venus perhaps?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sherpa
Well I have got to agree with the OP's post, it is only this year that I started reading what I could find about our moon and it has left me with more questions than answers.

Thanks for agreeing

One anomaly that fascinates me is the case of TLP's, Transient Lunar Pnenomena, brightenings and obscurations of the lunar surface observed over the centuries by astronomers all over the world.

I am fascinated by this, too. It makes me wonder if there are, among other things, nuclear reactors on the moon (either created by humans or something else).

It seems a shame that for a time these observations were not academically recognised.

I wonder why that is.

EDIT:

Originally posted by squiz
Ever wonder why there are no prehistoric references to the moon? what you can find are references or rather myths that talk of when the moon was not in our skies.

I haven't wondered about this (I didn't even know this was true). This is very interesting!

[edit on 26-11-2007 by they see ALL]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
How many examples of the moon being omitted when everything else in the sky is depicted can be found? Could a time line show when this changed?

I have always held for the capture theory instead of the impact, but there is the matter of no theory on this being set in stone.

One hurdle would be that without the moon, some theories show a stagnant ocean, which would make climate and living conditions for many species problematic.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I am not so sure about the theories that say our moon is artificial and the like, but I find it cool that out moon could be a rare one.

to say our moon is rare on this data is totally false

why would the moon being rare be cool? it just gives more wood to the fire of rare earthers like peter ward who say humans are alone in the universe

If moons like ours (size) are rare it would be quite depressing.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
to say our moon is rare on this data is totally false

I don't know about "totally false," but the article mentions that the data isn't conclusive.

why would the moon being rare be cool?

I just thought it was. I thought that moons were generally all the same (I knew that they came in different shapes and the like, but I always thought that they were usually the same).

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think, just judging by our own solar system, that planets and moons have much in common with people, in that no two are really as much alike as they are different. Now this may not hold across the cosmos, but being "rare" in this neck of the woods is pretty common.

top topics

join