It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Art Work Offends Iranian Diplomat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Art Work Offends Iranian Diplomat

www.dailytimes.com.pk

MEXICO CITY:Iran’s ambassador angrily demanded that a Moroccan artist withdraw from an art exhibit in Mexico a photograph he deems offensive to Islam, before it provokes a diplomatic crisis, exhibition organizers and media reports said Thursday. The photograph depicting female genitalia covered by a dome “is considered an offence to Islam” by Iran’s Ambassador to Mexico, Mohammad Hassan Ghadiri Abyaneh, and “he has addressed his protest to (the artist) Fouad Bellamine .. asking him to withdraw it
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.en.baybak.com

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Here we go, AGAIN!!

This is just getting totally out of control!!!!

This is an ART exhibit in MEXICO!

If he finds the picture soooo offensive, don't look at it!

Why do these extremists insist that EVERYBODY has to bow down to their will every time they deem something offensive in the name of THEIR religion? It's not MY religion.

The article goes on to say that the artist and the Iranian Ambassador had an argument and that the Iranian Ambassador left in a "huff", he said the photo insulted Islam and if the picture wasn't removed it could cause a "diplomatic crisis between the two countries.”

A picture of a woman almost nude is going to cause a "diplomatic crisis" between two countries? ... Unbelievable!

Another extremist trying to impose his religion on others. And this is coming from an "Ambassador".

The article doesn't mention if the photograph has been removed or not. I wonder if they are going to put a price on the artists head?
THAT'S not offensive to his religion! .... But a photo of a barely clothed/covered woman is!!!

RIDICULOUS!!!

www.dailytimes.com.pk
(visit the link for the full news article

[edit on 24/11/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling...

Someone had to tell this Mensa candidate that it was female genitalia under the dome? Seriously... Is there a degree in nonsensical rantings with these idiots? Nothing like imposing your own morality on others... The question now is, does the Mexican government roll over or give this guy the Tijuana salute?

apc

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Tijuana salute? I'm not sure that even I want to know what that is. It involves food, I bet.

I have to wonder if this was intentional inflammation. Like the imams that pulled stunts on a plane.

Anything similar happening in Canada?

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I can already see a cartoon of this event being drawn up as we speak. Imagine what will happen if it involves Mexico since they have a huge Muslim population to worry about

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
As an artist myself this makes me seething mad to my very core! Art is meant to not only be nice to look at and experience but also to 'say something' and touch our feelings and emotional state in some way. Its prety safe to say that this artist has certainly done that eh?

This "Ambassador" is WAY out of line, you cannot dictate to people from another religion or country what they can and can't produce as art or see (providing it is within that countries laws of course.) As a previous poster said, if he was so damn offended then dont look at it! Or is he concerned that it will somehow bring down the wrath of allah on the entire population of the muslims living in Mexico?

Art is at its very best when it challenges our preconceptions in my oppinion, personally I'd be proud to have produced something that nearly caused an international incident. As it means it has had an effect...its 'mattered' more than just being something nice to look at.

I wouldn't dream of trying to tell someone in another country, or from another race, religion or colour what to think and do. Sure as god made little apples, if I can live with stuff that may offend me every dayof my life, then so can others.

Wayne...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well if this man has problem with art despicting woman genitalia he has some issues with his manhood.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have two problems with this. The first is why are obscene images now considered art? What happened to landscape scenes or a bowl of fruit. Why does art have to offend or make you feel bad to be art these days?

The second question is what gives the ambassador the right to dictate the cultural activities of a foreign government? Take note of this, these fanatics aim to rule the world.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Actually the art was to the imagination because the genitalia was covered so actually the complain is actually about a dome covering a genital area.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Maybe someone should ask him to pull down all the Minarets because they look like phallic objects..

Each to his own but imposing own opinion ever others blows.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Maybe someone should ask him to pull down all the Minarets because they look like phallic objects..

I have to say that you are right, but hey isn't that one of the symbols of religion? to make the male presents in all its grandeur over all the species including absence woman genitalia under a dome.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
How quickly we forget that our government had the partially nude Spirit of Justice statue covered because it was unChristian (or something). Or when in 2004 Israel's ambassador to Sweden pushed an unplugged light into an art display he disagreed with.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by discomfit]

apc

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Has anyone located an image of the photo? Or maybe a photo of the image?

I have not.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I want to see the work of art also, but it doesn't show any pictures in the link to the story.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

If I found it, I don't think I can link it. It would be against the T&C, I think.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Can you U2 the link? I promise I am old enough no to feel offended.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
What does Islam have against domes?

Bleh, stupid overreaction from a very foolish man.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I don't really care to see the 'artwork' myself. I consider such attempts at 'shock art' to be in the same genre as comics who owe their fame to the repetition of profanities. In other words, garbage in my eyes and ears.

As to the Iranian ambassador making demands in another country, I think it's another case of acute arrogance. I know there are plenty of 'so called' sophisticated western people who get all offended at the sight of a mural depicting women with bare breasts too. Like the first black coated priests visiting Hawaii, they were absolutely mortified. That's how it is with clerics... they believe they are the moral standard with which all must align themselves. Once again... just arrogance.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

all i have to say
each to their own stuff

if they want to offend others good for them intentialy or unintentialy
as for the diplomat he should get a life (i use the get a life alot here dont I?)

i dont see why he should even try and force his values on others
regardless of faith

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I doubt this was as much about art, good or bad, as about politics. There are gains to be made by stirring up trouble in the name of a religion.
Mexico is a poor nation where people regularly sneak into the US. Having a fanatical group in opposition there could be worthwhile, and nothing forms a group faster than shared outrage over some trivial religious offense.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join