It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guyana to Britain: Take over our rainforest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Looking from here, it seems like a good idea.

Is Guyana looking at shortages in food or they simply want to change to a green economy?
Which indicates to me that they would be an exporter of food, a good thing for all of us.

Perhaps Guyana is looking at the African nation - I can't remember the name - that once was known as the Breadbasket of Africa - and after running the white farmers out of the country, their people are short of food due to the now poorly run farms.

Last I read on this subject is that the country's 'leaders' - a poor choice of words indeed - couldn't wait to disposess the white farmers of their land and now are pleading for them to come back.
To the extent that I understand they are offering large cash bonuses etc.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
Perhaps Guyana is looking at the African nation - I can't remember the name - that once was known as the Breadbasket of Africa - and after running the white farmers out of the country, their people are short of food due to the now poorly run farms.

Zimbabwe,

(which is a very tragic case
, something i've been writting to my MP about)

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Still no word from the British government.

You think Brown would give a response to something this major.

I wonder if they haven't said anything because there hasn't been any formal request yet.

This seems to be something that the government of Guyana is floating to see how it goes down with Britain and other potential partners. We should make the right noises and get down to negotiations.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by infinite
If he rejects, the Tories will have a field day over this.

If he rejects it, they will have a go saying he is not green. If he accepts, they will say hes wasting taxpayers money.

Its a no win situation.

A bit like Northern Rock really! Everybody jumped up and down saying the government should help the savers and small investors. As soon as they pump some money in they are accused of wasting taxpayers money.

Have you noticed that everything is a no win situation these days. As Alistair Cambell put it to Jon Snow on Channel 4 news a few months ago : "All you (the press) area interested in is a head on a plate". Jon Snow's face was a picture! Clearly Cambell hit the nail on the head.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire

The deal would represent potentially the largest carbon offset ever undertaken, securing the vast carbon sinks of Guyana's pristine forest in return for assisting the economic growth of South America's poorest economy.

This would seem to be the real reason behind the UK accepting Guyanas offer...carbon offsetting.

This is what really galls me, the gov't takes the short-term financial outlook and throws money at protecting someone else's trees instead of investing that same capital (or more) and taking a long-term view in making British industry cleaner and more efficient which would enable our production-base to remain globally competitive in terms of carbon footprints

Where's my pitchfork? I'm going to march on the squire's house!

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
update;

Guyana's President flies in as Britain considers rainforest offer

The Government says it is considering an offer from Guyana to secure the future of its entire standing forest in return for a package of green technology and development aid from Britain.

Guyana's President, Bharrat Jagdeo, has proposed placing his country's entire 50 million-acre tropical forest under a British-led international body in return for talks with London on securing aid for sustainable development and technical assistance in switching to green industries.

environment.independent.co.uk...

It seems the government is taking the offer very seriously

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Guyana is basically asking G.B for assistance, not to take complete control of their rain forest, they just need help protecting one of their most valueable assets they have.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
here in the usa i already buy sustainable produced products from guyana, 'yerba mate' mostly. a very cool proposal and i think it a very respectable complement to britain. i do not think the country would do this without the belief that britain can help them preserve their natural landscapes.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
As there was little update since November, thought I would chime in.

Seems the Government is taking it very seriously and are actually going to sign up to the plan:

Britain is backing an offer by the President of Guyana to preserve the country's entire 50 million acres of rainforest in return for sustainable development funds.

Phil Woolas, the Environment minister, will support the offer by President Bharrat Jagdeo revealed in The Independent last month at the Bali summit on climate change this week. It follows a preparatory conference where China, the US and other major economies, agreed to put protection of the world's forests on the climate change road map that Bali is supposed to produce this week.

"The UK Government sees this as a significant and welcome step. While we respect countries' sovereignty, the offer from President Jagdeo is a groundbreaker and we will be looking at it at official level to see what part Britain can play," Mr Woolas said.

Source

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

very cool thanks for sharing.

after sitting with this for a bit i grow more and more impressed. first and foremost as it makes me feel like there is a growing understanding in the world of the importance of protecting the planets 'nature'.

i also think that this is a very important signal politically. maybe i am just plain wrong and thinking too simply, but the fact guyana chose britain over the usa when it is the usa that is the closest 'industrialized' nation.

i hope this works out well. that guyana's sovereignty is respected and that the lands are truly protected and preserved.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I think it's due to the fact we're the former colonial power and parted on good terms. We still have many cultural links with them, so I think it's not a snub to the USA, just they feel like they can trust us after years of good relations.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

i suppose that makes the most sense.

curious, when did guyana receive self rule?

edit: never mind man, i will just look it up.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Excellent news - thanks for the update, Stu. It's nice to see us doing a good turn for the environment. I must say I have no objection whatsoever to my tax money being spent on projects like this.

Originally posted by Animal
curious, when did guyana receive self rule?

1966, I believe. The 1960s was an important decade for the decolonisation of the British Empire.

[edit on 24/6/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is something we should really say YES to. It is us, the west that are stimulating deforestation in South America because of our love of beef and other products produced in rainforet.. now if we are willing to destroy some forest how about we show some will to protect a little too? This could also be something Brazil look to in a posative manner and maby just maby it could spark massive change there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join