It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guyana to Britain: Take over our rainforest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Guyana to Britain: Take over our rainforest

environment.independent.co.uk

Guyana's extraordinary offer to Britain to save one of the world's most important carbon sinks

Enter Guyana. The former British colony, sandwiched between Venezuela and Brazil, is home to fewer than a million people but it is also home to an intact rainforest larger than England. In a dramatic offer, the government of Guyana has said it is willing to place its entire standing forest under the control of a British-led, international body in return for a bilateral deal with the UK that would secure development aid and the technical assistance needed to make the change to a green economy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Have you EVER heard anything like that?

A former colony asking it's former ruler to take control of certain parts of land? From what I've been hearing in Britain, I doubt we will accept. The British taxpayer will not want to pay for land in a far away nation, that isn't apart of the United Kingdom (our overseas colonies are different).

But seriosuly, this is quite a rare diplomatic offer. I don't think it's ever been done before.

environment.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
The British taxpayer will not want to pay for land in a far away nation, that isn't apart of the United Kingdom

The taxpayer won't but I'm sure there are those in Whitehall who would...just think of the possibilities, the Tories offering a tree for every British citizen as an election gimmick!

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
The taxpayer won't but I'm sure there are those in Whitehall who would...just think of the possibilities, the Tories offering a tree for every British citizen as an election gimmick!

I'm searching around some goverment sites to see if I can get an official response.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
So, they want the British taxpayer to pay to look after the rainforest and give them aid as well.

No wonder they are asking, its a win win deal for them in which the British get nothing out of it.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
its a win win deal for them in which the British get nothing out of it.

How about a huge increase in our 'strategic tree reserves' for a start?

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

No wonder they are asking, its a win win deal for them in which the British get nothing out of it.

This is what I don't understand, they want the British to help them with their economy
I doubt their population is going to welcome a foreign power working with their government to plan the economy.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

How about a huge increase in our 'strategic tree reserves' for a start?

I highly doubt they will give up the trees themselves to the british, they just want us to spend money to look after them while keeping ownership for themselves.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I might write to the government and ask what is going on, nothing official is being said by the British at the moment. But this story is all over the net.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's a very interesting proposal, and something we should consider very seriously. Remember, it's a British led, international group - so it wouldn't be British tax payer's money funding this. I'm pretty sure we could get the UN, EU and other nations that take part in this to help out with the funding.

It could also be very useful for sustaining British jobs, particularly those that require decent qualifications, and encouraging the growth of the science/research sector of the British economy.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hi There,

You know, the cynicism is not really required for this gregarious offer by Guyana. Personally, I think this diplomatic hand of trust is remarkable simply for this opportunity in that...

The deal would represent potentially the largest carbon offset ever undertaken, securing the vast carbon sinks of Guyana's pristine forest in return for assisting the economic growth of South America's poorest economy.

Instead of cutting down and raking away the lungs of the world for land developers, we can actually help to save a very important area of ecology. As for the taxpayers footing the bill, they've been footing the bill for all the destruction in Iraq and Afghanistan, and still our government cannot supply the best equipment our forces need and deserve. So, let's look at this with a long-term view...save the forest, or destroy the planets ability to exchange carbon for the stuff we breathe, you know, the stuff we need to live, because if we don't take up this offer to help Guyana, it might force them to give the forest to land developers in order to survive economically...hmmm, profit or oxygen, profit or oxygen...no brainer really.

We've got to fix the small place first to show we can fix the big place.
Says it all, really.

Best wishes

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is a wonderful gesture, and whether we accept it or not it will show exactly how committed our govt is to climate change. I confidently predict the govt will say p*ss off

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
This is a wonderful gesture, and whether we accept it or not it will show exactly how committed our govt is to climate change. I confidently predict the govt will say p*ss off

I dunno,
If Gordon accepts, he shows the UK is serious about climate change and it will give us more influence when it comes to the subject matter. If he rejects, the Tories will have a field day over this.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
If he rejects, the Tories will have a field day over this.

If he rejects it, they will have a go saying he is not green. If he accepts, they will say hes wasting taxpayers money.

Its a no win situation.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   

If he rejects it, they will have a go saying he is not green. If he accepts, they will say hes wasting taxpayers money.

Its a no win situation.

I'm not too sure, the President of Guyana has spoken about the British private sector being used to pay for it. If Brown accepts, he could make abit of cash out of it (We all know he loves money)

To be fair, he would be stupid not to accept.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

I actually think both Guyana and Britain win if we accept (see my earlier post).

It's also pretty flattering that Guyana has asked the UK to do this. Here's a nation that was part of an empire which enriched our nation in so many ways... would it harm us to give them and the planet something back?

Where other South American countries are chopping down their rainforests to make cattle ranches for McDonald's, Guyana has decided to entrust their forests and the species within them to the United Kingdom - it's an extremely nice gesture, and one we shouldn't dismiss lightly. We all hear about Iraq, Afghanistan, violence and war... wouldn't it be nice to hear of a genuine success story? To hear that our efforts have saved a piece of rainforest almost as big as England? And that not only have we done this for ourselves, but for the rest of the world and for future generations.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is a golden opportunity for Brittian to save the rain forest in that region. I believe CO2 has climbed because the clear cutting in South America. The Forest will manage itself while the British only need protect it from chainsaws. What will cost is helping the people go to a green economy. New manufacturing techniques have been discovered in making cheap solar panels. This would be a great place to set up a plant to manufacture them.

www.treehugger.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
A great idea, but best left until after the next election when Britain has a new Government with a desire to demonstrate that they can be trusted.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Still no word from the British government.

You think Brown would give a response to something this major.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Iraq is an American colony, don't ya think?

[edit on 25-11-2007 by TheoOne]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join