It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor claims Australia poll win

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
From observations I have made when discussing the labor win (YAY!)there seems to be a fear that is at the root of all arguments being made against the new labour government, and that has to do with the economy. People are scared that the labour government might make old mistakes, and the economy will suffer as a result. I have also heard the argument that it is the young Australians who have voted in favour of Rudd because they werent around for the economic woes.

I want to point out that if money is really at the core (as I suspect it is) of fears against a labor government, it is very sad. I am proud to say I voted Labor. I have more faith in the labor government than I do in a leader who has offered too many false hopes and dreams, shattering many of them shamelessly. Despite what has happened in the past, I would much prefer to let labor run the economy than allow a person who has lost every inch of my confidence back in. Mr Howard has done his country a great service, we are proud of him, however I believe that given a fighting chance Mr Rudd wil do better. Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Thank god Howard is finally gone.......he's screwed this country up enough. And yay, we will finally be signing the Kyoto protocal, its been long overdue but we finally got there!!!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gogosam
Mr Howard has done his country a great service, we are proud of him

I'm gonna ask politely once and for all for people to stop saying WE are proud of Howard. WE are not all proud of Howard, OK? A LOT OF US HATE HIS GUTS. Especially those of us who've been around long enough to actually know something more about him than the past 10 years of blatant media brainwashing. The guy cared for people like you about as much as a roadtrain cares about the ants it rolls over. So please, cease and desist with all this WE business!

Here's a youtube clip from Aussie rappers The Herd, about the 2001 election where Howard played the race card in the disgusting Tampa 'Children Overboard' affair. This creep will go to the grave with blood-soaked hands.

Wiki: Children Overboard

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

Totally agree with you, and who can forget his workplace agreements, another typical example of screwing the middle and lower class people of this country. Typical Liberal party politics. And who can forget his rate rises, absolutely ridiculous how many of these we had while he was in office

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Agreed, Shar_Chi...

Howard has been the most deliberately divisive PM we have had for a generation, at least...

He has played the race card several times...First Tampa, and in more recent times demonising Muslims at every possible opportunity...

He has deliberately taken away the rights of many working Australians to be compensated fairly for their work, at the expense of their employers pocketing most or all of the profits made as a result of their employees work...

Howard will be remembered by a majority of Australians as a crusty, out of touch old man who belonged in the political era of the 50's and 60's

And thank goodness, the public has finally seen him for what he is....

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

He was a fool to even think about making a guarantee about interest rates, OzWeather...

Governments have next to zero control over interest rates...They run fiscal policy, the reserve runs monetary policy...Simple really...

And don't get me started about WorknoChoices

Let's hope Labor is honest in its promise to roll back most of this horrendous legislation...

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well the Reserve Bank, being Australia's arm of the Global Banking system rewards fascist behaviour, which is why Howard's policies carried so much favour. The fact that the RB raised rates in the middle of the campaign, combined with the backing from Murdoch's media outlets, and a lackluster performance from the PM supports the earlier suggested theory that the Libs were forced to take a dive on this one, which is an uncomforting thought indeed.

Also, low variable interest rates are nothing more than a temporary illusion. Housing prices around the country have skyrocketed, putting Australians in deeper debt than ever before, and now the rates are rising as well so the trap is swiftly closing and foreclosures are at levels never seen before. Rudd's housing policies will be absolutely paramount to the future security of most young Australians and they don't even know it yet.

One other thing I'll mention about the economic boom throughout Howard's era, is the groundwork was laid by the prior Labor Government reforms, who were saddled with ridiculous debt from the Fraser era, something which Gen Y's don't have the foggiest clue about. Howard was the lucky one who waltzed in during an unprecedented bull market, and whacked us with a goddamn GST. They had so much cash coming in, they could have put the WIGGLES in charge.

My view of the 2 parties is that they both chain us to the pyramid, but Labor makes sure everyone gets a smoko and a BBQ on the weekend, whereas Liberal will stick the boot in if you stumble. Of course, I didn't vote for either of them.

People have a lot to learn in a short period of time or we'll be doomed to repeat the mistakes all over.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

The MASSIVE mistake the Liberals have made during the last 5-6 yrs has been tax cuts...

Not only are they not necessary, but they are eventually inflationary...There should have been a contribution of say 25% of the surplus each year into the "Future Fund", and another 25% of surplus could go towards infrastructure, health, education...

Tax cuts imho were totally unnecessary....

Lets hope Labor learns from these errors...And runs surpluses at 1% of GDP and more, and actually contributes to the growth of the country, rather than giving surpluses back to consumers to "pee up against a wall", so to speak...

Peace and good posts on this thread Shar

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Greetings ATS members.
This is my first post.

Originally posted by Rilence

Time for us to leave Iraq methinks
I'm sure Herr Bush will be devastated one of his lapdogs is no longer around...

[edit on 24-11-2007 by Rilence]

Actually Rudd has already affirmed is support for military action in Iraq and Afghanistan and has said he will commit more troops to accomplish the coalitions goal. Thats why the war wasn't an issue during the election because both the Liberal and Labour party's policies on supporting the U.S are the same.

Everybody that voted for Rudd, sorry you got scammed. Australia's never been better off with low interest rates, low unemployment, higher rates off pay for those that deserve it and a budget surplus instead of the 40 billion deficit the last labour party managed the get us in to.

Should be an interesting next few years.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by primal

Actually, Rudd has committed to removing all COMBAT troops from Iraq by mid next year...Afghanistan is another issue and nothing was mentioned either way there, except to maintain the status quo...

And given the situation there atm, I'm sure a majority of Australians wouldn't disagree with that...

As far as the economic stuff goes...

The fact remains the Howard government pissed away a lot of the recent surpluses in tax cuts, rather than using this money where it was need most in health, education and P/P relationships in building infrastructure...

Whether this will change remains to be seen...

Anyone condemning the Rudd Government 24 hrs after it has "come into power" is an imbecile IMO...

40 billion deficit under Labor previously ? source please...

Low interest rates ? Now....These have to be considered in the context of home ownership affordability, not as raw interest rates...

Home ownership affordability is at multi decade lows here in Australia...

The insane thing the coalition tried to do last election was to stop within a millimeter of guaranteeing interest rates would be lower under their govt than under a labor alternative...

That's madness...

Time will tell here...My main issue is as long as the new government ceases and desists with tax cuts...

We do not need them...They do more harm than good to common folk in the medium term thru higher prices and higher interest rates...

Spending on infrastructure via state grants and investing in the Future fund is the way to go with the bulk of budget surpluses....

[edit on 25-11-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
An interesting (if unexpected) piece of fallout from the election is that Peter Costello has decided not to stand for leader of the Liberal Party.

For those from the UK, a pretty good comparison would be Gordon Brown deciding not to take over as Labour leader after Blair stepped down.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

It is interesting for sure, Ste...

Personally, I see it as a dummy spit on Costello's part...

I know many people want to make the NWO connection with Turnbull and so on, but before you do so...Consider that Costello has been a senior member of the HR Nichols Society here in Oz for a long time...

They have always been at the forefront of extreme right wing thinking since their inception...

I would have thought Costello as leader and Turnbull as deputy would have satisfied all fascists concerned at least for the medium term...

Alas its not to be and big Mal will have his wicked way with the remaining Libs...

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

He has deliberately taken away the rights of many working Australians to be compensated fairly for their work, at the expense of their employers pocketing most or all of the profits made as a result of their employees work...[/qquote]

People are more than fairly compensated for their work. It is actually out of touch to go back to the way things were. After working in several different countries, it is obvious the Australian worker is just plain lazy. I hope we don't become like the French.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

If Australian workers are required to work "outside" their normal working hours, they deserve to be compensated for same...

They do not deserve to be paid the same for working weekends as opposed to 9am-5pm...they do not deserve to be paid the same for working 8pm-6am as opposed to working 9am-5pm...

Now...If employers large and VERY small were reasonable and offered people a bonus based on the profitability of the business from year to year in exchange for working for a flat rate no matter the shift....

then that would be a different kettle of fish...

In my experience, small (particularly) and medium business have been most eager to rout employees conditions in order to maximise their own profits...Without even distributing a pittance of said profits in thanks for the hard work of their employees who have been largely responsible for these profits....

thats my beef...

Its a matter of what is fair and reasonable. and thank goodness, that is what sets this great nation apart from many other nations....

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Personally, I see it as a dummy spit on Costello's part...

Pretty much, and he basically cbf being a has-been on death-row knowing that Turnbull will behead him sometime prior next election anyway. The Liberal psyche has a huge problem with defeat, because they honestly believe they were born to rule.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Imbecile? We'll see.

I'm sorry the deficit was actually 10 billion, so much better.

Labor will withdraw the 550 “combat” troops from Australia’s 1575-strong force in and around Iraq, leaving more than 1000 personnel. But Labor will also replace the “combat” troops with hundreds of “training” troops that will be stationed outside Iraq so they will be serving in the middle east but ultimately supporting the remaining 1000 troops in Iraq.

So all you suckers that voted Liberal on that issue looks like you fell for the old ball under the cup switcheroo IMO.

As for home loans I'd rather 6% that I pay now compared to the previous Labour governments 17%.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Congrats to Australia on "throwing the bums out"

Now lets hope we can do the same here in the US soon...

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by primal

A word of advice to a new member...

If you're going to post such outlandish numbers, make sure you post a reliable source to back you up...

*hands you a tea towel to wipe the egg off your face over the 40 billion thing*

Now...

Labor will withdraw those combat troops and perhaps send some to Afghanistan in order to assure the US control over the majority of the worlds opium supply...

Or, hopefully...some of those guys will get to come home and be set to do base duties for a long time to re-adjust to society...

"So all you suckers that voted Liberal on that issue looks like you fell for the old ball under the cup switcheroo IMO
"

Wtf are you talking about ?? which side are you on ? confused are we ?

When home loan rates were at 17% a far greater proportion of the population could afford to own their own home...

Now, that is a pipedream for more than half of us....

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

reply to post by primal

A word of advice to a new member...

If you're going to post such outlandish numbers, make sure you post a reliable source to back you up...

*hands you a tea towel to wipe the egg off your face over the 40 billion thing*

Now...

Labor will withdraw those combat troops and perhaps send some to Afghanistan in order to assure the US control over the majority of the worlds opium supply...

Wow exulted ATS member, speak of outlandish claims, don't worry bout the opium you need to get off the weed cause obviously the paranoia is setting in.

And if owning a home is a pipe dream for ya then may be you need to work a little harder cause nobody's goin to hand it to you, which is the real problem in Australia that so many expect so much for doing so little. That's WTF I,m talking about.

And as far as me typing Liberal instead of Labour it was a simple mistake so don't be an a-hole

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ok, so basincally we will hand over the security of our remaining troops to the US or some other country.

Or, hopefully...some of those guys will get to come home and be set to do base duties for a long time to re-adjust to society...

They are in the Army, not some welfare program.

When home loan rates were at 17% a far greater proportion of the population could afford to own their own home...

Now, that is a pipedream for more than half of us....

Not sure what you mean by afford ? You mean the mean price of a house was lower ? Do you think that if Labor had been in power that houses would be more affordable, highly unlikely. They'd probably be the same price they are now but with double digit interest rates.

Watch how much they will cost in a year once Labor starts putting upward pressure on inflation.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join