It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor claims Australia poll win

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Kevin Rudd's win is I think, one of the most important victories for this nation in a long while.

Not only does it herald the end of John Howards Career, and the dawn of a new era, but it was a lesson to John Howard from the people of Australia telling him, "Hey Mate, your still not listening to us!".

Australians DO NOT want to be in Iraq.

Australians DO understand that we may be needed in Afghanistan at the moment but Terrorist threats in OUR IMMEDIATE REGION are more important and urgent.

Australians DOWANT to do something about the changin weather.

Australians DO WANT more spent on funding education, health centres, bringing trades training up to where it was before howard came in and scrapped technical colleges.

Australians DO WANT a work environment where they are unaffraid to be sacked because the bosses nephew needs a job and you have to go to make room for him.

Australians DO NOT want to be influenced by the US Government, or any government for that matter.

This and many more simple reason, factors that affect everyday life, that the average person needs, is what Kevin Rudd has listened to and hopefully act upon.

And this is the reason behind Howards demise.....he was so pre-occupied with his own personal agenda and hoping to impress George Bush that the public had had enough of him.

Like mentioned previously, A Great Day to be an Aussie!

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Extremely glad about the Labour win (prefer to use English spelling).

I look forward to the day when we hear, and then see our troops returned home to their families from the USA's bogus WOT. I would like to see all military ties with the USA cut, all military personnel told to leave and our installations run by Australians. I would also like to see the trade of uranium stopped - worldwide.

I look forward to every worker in this country getting a decent fair go at work.

I look forward to new ideas and innovations that may change the way we exist in this country for the better.

As for the Ruddster speaking Mandarin and that being a plus to strengthen ties with China...I would prefer to that Australia put more pressure on that country to do something about their appalling human rights before we jump into bed with them.

Our future lies in the hands of this man and his colleagues, I hope they can live up to our expectations.

Hopefully Australia will cease to be a DOORMAT for the rest of the world.

res

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Watching the morning wrap up on the election at the moment and it seems the Liberal party hasnt learnt a bloody thing from the defeat.
Alexander Downer is so far removed from what the everyday Australian thinks and believes he may as well be the Member for Mars. Unbelieveable.

I think in the end the Liberal party, and John Howard in particular were there own worse enemy. No clear succession plan, and who in their right mind is going to vote in a Pri-minister who has clearly stated he will only be hanging around for awhile before handing over the reigns to possibly the most disliked politician in the country in Peter Costello.
Idiots.

I think the Greens hold the balance of power in the senate which is good and Kevin Rudd seems to me to be genuinely interested in making a difference.

Only time will tell however whether they end up fullfilling the promises made.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
LOL so much hope, so much promise, yet realistically it is politics and no matter who is in office, they are lairs.

Australia cut all ties with the U.S ? We have a population of around 23 million people and an army ...well we dont have much of a military at all.
I like the relationship Australia has always had with the U.S - yes atm we are being dragged into the mess in the middle east. But Bush will not be in power forever. Australia has a good friend and ally in the U.S and the U.K that we should ALWAYS keep.

Dont get me started on the BS that is Kyoto ....we contribute less than 1% of the total of green house gases into the atmosphere. Thats IF you believe the BS propaganda that is global warming to begin with.

We have a new Prime Minister, we have a table full of new promises, hopes and dreams, yet not much has changed at the end of the day. Unless you believe the lie that elected Govt REALLY do run the country.

Puppets ....

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I've been looking into this a little more deeply as the day goes by and I have to say, I'm really happy for Australia as a country. Looks like they made huge progress with the flushing of Howard. Democracy as it should be! Up Australia!

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Nice.
I'm happy for you Aussies. Perhaps now the rest of Asia won't see you guys as America's lapdog/wannabe sheriff in the region. Don't be mad, but under Howard that's what we saw you as. As someone from Asia, I can tell you that that is how we saw you, and now we're quite happy with your election results. Hopefully Rudd won't disappoint.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The main difference I feel today is we now have a Government which rules via hope and engagement rather than by fear and apathy. I don't think many of Australia's Gen Y will be able to even perceive or comprehend that for some time, if ever. After a decade of brainwashing, the stockholm syndrome is very deeply embedded in their psyche. I have great expectations of the group that follows though.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by Shar_Chi]

KTK

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I cant help but think the Liberals took a dive this time knowing the economy worldwide isnt that crash hot. They just didnt seem to have the sophisticated campaining and scare mongering we usually see, infact it was rather half arsed on their part.

Mr costello has just bowed out of the leadership as im typing this. No doubt Malcolm Turnbull will be the new Liberal party leader. They will blame Labor for the economic woes we are about to face. We will have a dictator by the name of Malcolm Turnbull in 4 years time and a nuclear dump in the desert. Maybe I should have posted this on the predictions board.

Seriously though the thing that made me think something was not right was Murdochs media outlets supporting Labor, that alone stinks to high heaven.

I truely hope I am wrong in my thoughts as I like Mr Rudd and believe he is sincere in his approach. He has alot of damage to fix I just hope he is given the oppertunity to do so as it will take longer than 4 years.

ATS has turned me into a bit of a cynical cow now days

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KTK

I get the same gut instinct.
The Liberal campaign never looked like making inroads into the early polls which had Labour out in front.
And the Chijoff pamphlet disaster a few days before the election absolutely stinks of premeditation. I cant believe the Libs didnt know what was going on there.

I think Rudd is genuine, i have a pretty good instinct for people and he doesnt raise any red flags for me.
I feel a lot more optimistic about Australia's future now than i did 2 years ago anyway.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Let's face it, it was time for a change. I just hope Labor doen't go back to their old ways of racking up massive debt and making the Australian worker lazy.
Also with regards to Iraq our soldiers will still stay their, Rudd said publicly in the debate that he will only bring back a 1/3 next year which are the combat soldiers.
Now, will the unions get their power back and resort to their typical bullying tactics ? I imagine if Rudd does go back to the usual Labor ways, then it will be a very short period in office for Labor.
Lets face it the Liberals fixed the economy, Labor would never have done it. I'm sure Johnny will be happy with all he's done, he will be remembered for a long time for putting Australia on teh road to prosperity.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well, it seems like the majority of you are welcoming this change. Good for you.

Can someone summarize what the major changes you will expect, for the benefit of us that are unfamiliar with Australian politics? Thanks -

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Here is the Aussie 'Herald sun' for Sunday the 25th November 2007 on the elections.....
NEWS

helen

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Lets hope Rudd can keep his promises he made . I am glad it is over now it has been along election

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I would just like to point out that not everyone in Australia would agree with what you are saying, as at 25/11/2007 4:16:04 PM on a two party preferred basis;

Party Votes Percentage Swing
Liberal/National Coalition 4,643,852 46.66 -6.08
Australian Labor Party 5,308,702 53.34 +6.08

SOURCE: www.aec.gov.au

Australians DO NOT want to be in Iraq. - I KNOW A NUMBER OF AUSTRALIANS THAT THINK THAT BEING IN IRAQ IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO, ESPECIALLY AT THIS PART OF THE HUMANITARIAN MISSION.

Australians DO understand that we may be needed in Afghanistan at the moment but Terrorist threats in OUR IMMEDIATE REGION are more important and urgent. - THEY BOTH ARE IMPORTANT, AND THERE ARE ALOT OF COUNTER TERRORISM OPERATIONS GOING ON ALL OVER THE WORLD, WITH QUITE A LARGE NUMBER CONCENTRATED IN THE SOUTH EAST ASIAN/EAST ASIAN AREA. THESE TERRORIST GROUPS ARE GENERALLY NOT AS WELL TRAINED, AND AS A RESULT DONT HAVE THE SAME RESOURCES ASSIGNED TO THEM AS MANY OTHER GROUPS, BUT THEY ARE DEFINATLEY UNDER SCRUTINY.

Australians DOWANT to do something about the changin weather. - THE KYOTO PROTOCOL, WILL DO THE REVERSE OF WHAT IT IS DESIGNED TO DO. INSTEAD OF USING MONEY TO RESAERCH CLEAER METHODS OF ELECTRICITY PRODUCTION, CLEANER INDUSTRY, ETC. THE MONEY WILL BE PAID OUT IN FINES BECAUSE WE MAY HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REACH THE GOALS. WE ARE CURRENTLY DOING BETTER THAN THE GOALS THAT WOULD BE SET UNDER KYOTO. PERHAPS A RAIN DANCE IS IN ORDER, THEY HAVE THE SAME USEFULNESS

Australians DO WANT more spent on funding education, health centres, bringing trades training up to where it was before howard came in and scrapped technical colleges. I AGREE WITH THIS, BUT THEY SHOULDN'T BE GETTING INCREASED FUNDING BY REMOVING IT FROM OTHER PORTFOLIO'S, JUST GET RID OF THE TAX CUTS ANNOUNCED BY BOTH PARTIES DURING THE CAMPAIGN, I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO LOSE THEM, BEFORE CUTS TO OTHER DEPARTMENTS.

Australians DO WANT a work environment where they are unaffraid to be sacked because the bosses nephew needs a job and you have to go to make room for him. - WHEN IT COMES TO BEING SACKED, EVERYONE HAS A CHOICE, YOU DECIDE NOT TO WORK AS HARD, OR EVEN HARDER THAN YOUR OFFSIDER, YOU WORK HARDER THEN YOU DONT GET SACKED, THEY DO, ITS BUSINESS. HOW OFTEN DO YOU THINK PEOPLE GET SACKED BECAUSE OF A FAVOUR, A VERY MINIMAL AMOUNT. BY REMOVING AWA'S AND WORK CHOICES THEN YOU ARE BASICALLY SAYING ITS ALLRIGHT FOR AUSTRALIAN WORKERS TO BE LAZY. INSTEAD OF WASTING ENERGY IN THE UNIONS, USE THAT ENERGY AT WORK, AND THERE IS A FAIR CHANCE YOU WONT GET FIRED, YOU'LL GET A PAY RISE OR THE PROMOTION. IT'S COMMON SENSE.

Australians DO NOT want to be influenced by the US Government, or any government for that matter. - WE WILL ALWAYS BE INFLUENCED BY SOMETHING, ITS HUMAN NATURE, I FOR ONE WOULD PREFER TO BE INFLUENCED BY THE LIKES OF THE USA, UK, CANADA, JAPAN AND TO A CERTAIN EXTENT NEW ZEALAND, OR WE COULD BE COMMUNIST LIKE CHINA, A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY LIKE THE PHILLIPINES, A POLICE STATE LIKE SINGAPORE OR EVEN OVER RUN BY TERRORISTS LIKE INDONESIA. THE BEST PLACE IN CHINA IS THE HONG KONG S.A.R, BECAUSE IT WAS OBVIOUSLY HEAVILY INFLUENCED BY THE UK.

Thats my opinion, obviously there are alot of ppl who will disagree with this, and that is the joy of being a democratic nation.

I just hope everyone gets used to hearing the words 'a vote of no confidence' during the next couple of years.

3 Cheers for John Howard for his excellent 33y/11.5 yrs of service to this great nation.

and congratulations to Kevin '07' Rudd on a well run election campaign and victory.

take it easy

RAAFY

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by RAAFY

Well said
Seems there are a lot of people who seem to spout off about things which they seem to have very little knowlegde about ie. Melbourne Militia. Funny thing is people who think like he does are the ones who contribute least to society and want a free ride off the backs of everyone else.

3 Cheers for JH.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Can someone summarize what the major changes you will expect, for the benefit of us that are unfamiliar with Australian politics? Thanks -

The major change will be a political party that leads via uniting a country with hope and energy rather than dividing the country with fear and apathy. That is ultimately what got the Labor party elected imo. This Government models itself on Blair's 'New Labor' & the 'Third Way', so can be considered fairly conservative in fiscal regards, with a moderately progressive social agenda.

The Unions and Greens will both be asking for their pound of flesh for delivering this victory with varying success.

Specifics are relatively vague but include:
* Abolishing unpopular 'Work Choices' laws
* Signing off on Kyoto
* Withdrawing COMBAT troops from Iraq
* Upgrading public infrastructure such as education, hospitals, roads, communications networks, etc.
* Reconciliation in indigenous affairs
* Tightening relations with Asia, especially Indonesia & China
* Transforming Australia from Monarchy to a Republic

Otherwise it's business as usual and I note several Labor identities including Rudd being very clear about independence of the Reserve Bank, which is our equivalent to your Fed. I think most here know that equates to submission to the global order, without whose blessing the media would never have allowed this victory (especially Murdoch). I also note that the new opposition leader is most likely to be Turnbull who is a shill of big business, and really sets a new standard in arrogance. Quite possibly he will become our Cheney. Don't blame me for Turnbull - I'm in his electorate and voted against.

As a footnote, Rudd publicly anticipates a close relationship with Hillary Clinton, whom he already predicts will be your next American President.

PS While others cheer John Howard, I spit on him & his legacy. To each their own.

[edit on 25-11-2007 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
reply to post by RAAFY

Well said
Seems there are a lot of people who seem to spout off about things which they seem to have very little knowlegde about ie. Melbourne Militia. Funny thing is people who think like he does are the ones who contribute least to society and want a free ride off the backs of everyone else.

3 Cheers for JH.

I cannot beleive the arrogance of your comment. What do you base your opinion on mate????

I know more about what the real issues are in the community than you can beleive. And I DO NOT spout off about things I do not know about......I have been following local politics for many years now and DO see the difficulties the average everyday working aussie family has to deal with, and what the issue are that matter to the community.

So you think we should stay in Iraq, huh? Why? Because we blinded followed a superpower on the basis of false information, information the US itself knew to be false and fabricated?

They even "outed" one of their own CIA agents because their spouse criticized the evidence the war was based upon.....loyalty huh?

We have now gotten ourselves involved ina "big Mess" that never should have happened. How was Saddam involved in September 11th ?

How many "terrorist" came from Saudi Arabia? Why havent we invaded the Saudi's.....there would have been a more reason to take out the Saudi Royal family than Saddam.....another Ex-CIA puppet put into power.

How has Johhny Howard made the lives of everyday Australians better? Please explain this to me as I do not see it.

Interest rates rising 5 times, costs of living rising, inflation continuing to push upwards, fuel prices continue to rise with the tax upon tax thats included within the pricing structure, hospital waiting lists have grown during his term as primeminister, a shortage of tradesmen and technical colledges adding to the rise in inflation as trademen become harder to get and their prices rising intern, even after the reserve bank warned him more than two terms ago that he better do something about the trades training courses and get more apprentices otherwise it will add to inflation in the future.

Nah, he did not listen for he thought he knew better.

Is it that hard to comprehend that the majority of australians with a democatic process have selected a leader who has promised to fix the problems of the real world, of everyday australians that have to deal with expensive education structures, hard to get uni places because foreign students with heaps of many behind them pay upfront and take the positions of local students, the rising costs of everyday items.

We do not care as a majority about the war in Iraq, yeah we support our troops that are there and in afghanistan but we prefer them at home.

How is involvement in Iraq helping secure Australias borders?

Are we safer now or more of a target?

Aussies have voted and it is the best decision for the country that is atleast one term of office overdue.

I have in other posts by the way, over 6 months ago, predicted that Malcolm Turnbull will be the next priminister after the next term whoever wins.I cant find it now, but he is the perfect puppet for the puppet master. He has already shown in recent times that he is easily influenced by the likes of Rupert Murdoch, a NWO cronnie if I ever saw one.

But if you have nothing constructive to add to this arguement "New Scientists" either for or against, then I sincerely recommend you keep your unfounded outbursts ton yourself unless contributing something constuctive along with them.

Raafy, even thou disagreeing with my comments atleast took the time to add an alternative view and response in a coherent and professional manner.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RAAFY

This was a great thread with some good differing opinions....That is, until you came along and posted your opinions in almost all caps...

Perhaps you think by doing so people will take your point better ? From experience, I seriously doubt that is the case...People will either agree, disagree with you or somewhere in between, whatever case you type in...

Lets keep future posts in lower case except for the occasional emphasis...

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

I was using Caps to show the differing opinion, compared to that of Melbourne Militia. His was in Sentance case, then mine was in Capitals with a hyphen in between.

Looking back It would probably have been better to change the colour/font of the text.

Will take your advice on board

[edit on 25-11-2007 by RAAFY]

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
rupert murdoch (fox news founder and owner of some of the largest news papers in the world which started with australia)) supports the republican party here they win the last two elections then here we are and the labor party which he supports wins in australia who was the other guy he supported? oh yeah tony blair. welcome to the NWO

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join