It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howard out; Rudd in. Labor wins Australian Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   

"On the numbers we've seen tonight, Labor is going to form a government," Julia Gillard said on Australian Broadcasting Corp. television.

If Labor wins, leader Kevin Rudd would become Australia's first new prime minister in a dozen years, a win that would usher in major changes on the country's approach to global warming and the Iraq war.

Source

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Well there you have it, Kevin07 has stormed his way to victory.

As the coverage shows now, he is tipped to take at least 80 to 85 seats, needing only 76 to win the election.

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad. In all honesty, i've never had a problem with Howard personally and i hate to see him lose the election AND his own seat.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
IMO Howard paid the price for his party extremist IR reforms and him hanging to long and not handing the reigns over to Costello . Had the IR reforms been moderated the Liberal Party might have a better chance at re election.

I don't agree with Rudd plan to withdrawl Australian troops from Iraq other then that the other thing of note is that Labour is in power across the region but there next year is an election year in NZ.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

it's time for new blood everywhere in the world... howard represents the old way of thinking...money before everything... look where that's got us...

and as far as pulling australian troops from Iraq, i'm not sure they'll be missed as they only comprise a very small (1400 i believe) contingent... the only reason they were there in the first place was because Howard wanted to chum up with Bush... was pretty obvious really, imo

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Well the way I see it is that since that since Australia took an active role in removing Saddam they have a moral obligation to help fix the mess they took part in creating. Even thou it is larger then the NZ military the ADF is relativity small on the global stage. NZ is contribution to the war in Afghanistan is kind of a long the same lines in terms of its small size.

Anyway that is my 10 cents.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Even thou it is larger then the NZ military the ADF is relativity small on the global stage. NZ is contribution to the war in Afghanistan is kind of a long the same lines in terms of its small size.

New Zealand's armed forces were not sent there for war, it was sent there for peace keeping under some agreement we have with the UN for peace keeping. Also cleaning up the mess the U.S left behind. New Zealand never joined in the war because Helen (our P.M) God bless her, rejected America's offer, because it was not in our interest and as a result, Bush bullyed, threatened and canceled free trade between N.Z and America.

the other thing of note is that Labour is in power across the region but there next year is an election year in NZ.

Yep, we got elections next year, it will be really tied again, because our government currently has no outstanding major issues, so I will be interested in how this will turn out.

Back on topic:

I am glad to see that Howard is out of office, he really strained relations between Australia and New Zealand because of the war in Iraq and prompting us to join in, now Kevin Rudd is in power, two Labour governments in the lands downunder, which is well choice

For me.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lepracornman
New Zealand's armed forces were not sent there for war, it was sent there for peace keeping under some agreement we have with the UN for peace keeping. Also cleaning up the mess the U.S left behind.

Err are you referring to the brief stint NZ troops or the provincial reconstruction team that is currently deployed in Afghanistan's ?

Back to the topic

She says the Australian Labour Party shares her stance on policies like climate change, and international trade. She has also recognised John Howard's strong commitment to strengthening trans-Tasman connections.

Clark says during his eleven-year reign as Prime Minister, John Howard has been a good friend to New Zealand.

Source

I cant see Rudd election having much of an impact on the trans Tasman relationship other then him and Helen Clark finding common ground on political ideology grounds.

new topics

top topics

join