It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanosolar's Breakthrough - Solar Now Cheaper than Coal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRidge
Hopefully this is the real deal and not another false hope. If it works it will revolutionize energy production for the world and hopefully put coal power plants mostly out of business in 20 years.

www.celsias.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-11-2007 by BlueRidge]

Spelling

i would love to see this put in to production but in all honesty i dont see the fossil fuel companies allowing this to be a replacement for their precious money maker unless they buy the plans for makeing this and crank up the charege

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The problem with domestic PV solar power is that it is primarily used in an individual-property capacity and unless you have a large enough roof area to support the square-meterage of cells required (rule-of-thumb guide is 10m2 per kW generated to account for climactic conditions) you will still be grid-depandant, that, and coupled with what little incentive is offered by the power companies in terms of energy buy-back costs per unit.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Citzen,
but these new solar cells are supposed to be better then the rest with a twenty five year warranty. So could the average home owner not now have these panels on the roof and make at least enough to power there home part of the year during day light?
I know they will still need to be on the grid.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Bump.

They've started shipping the panels.
Nanosolar starts sales of cheaper solar panels

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nanosolar, a privately held solar energy company whose backers include Google Inc's (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research) co-founders, on Tuesday said it has started to sell what it calls "the world's lowest cost solar panel."

"We have begun shipping panels for freefield deployment in Eastern Germany," said Chief Executive Martin Roscheisen in a statement on Nanosolar's Web site. "The first megawatt of our panels will go into a power plant installation there,"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Yea, I'm on there newsletter. They are posting 1 on ebay for sale also. 1 is going to be held at the company, and the third is being donated to some tech school.

The are ramping up production for distrobution to 2 municipal projects. After that, it didn't say if you could buy directly from them, however they do have contact info for distributers.

As far as the nanosolar goes, I use about 320 KW a month, this being said, if I went to electric heat it would be closer to 700 -800 a month. to have these installed it sounds like there going for 99cents per KW so it would cost ruffly 800 for materials, plus installation.

I personally wouldn't want to put them on my roof, I think its a bad Idea, its hard to get on your roof to wipe snow off them. additionally, with the heat from your house rising, and the cold air from the environment it could probably be a bad situation for it. I personnally would rather set up a field in my back yard that I could mow around in the summer. Makes it easier to clear it in the winter, plus you don't have the pitch issues, and availability issue of your roof.

These panels combined with a 1000 dollar battery backup, and a windmill would be sufficient to supply my energy costs, the problem being is that there is a big difference between being off grid, and near grid. If your off grid, you don't pay for distribution, which for me is about 60 month on my 90 dollar electric bill.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by camain

Camain
you said there going for about 99 c per kw. Are they not selling there panels pre fabed in three by five foot panels or by the sq foot or something of that kind?

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
reply to post by camain

Camain
you said there going for about 99 c per kw. Are they not selling there panels pre fabed in three by five foot panels or by the sq foot or something of that kind?

That's the average price per kwh over the lifespan of the panel.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join