It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanon's FM Slams Israeli Call To End 'Syrian Occupation'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
BEIRUT (AFP) Lebanese Foreign Minister Jean Obeid denounced calls by his Israeli counterpart Silvan Shalom for the international community to put an end to the Syrian "occupation" of Lebanon.

Shalom's demand on Sunday is a threat to relations between Lebanon and Syria, Obeid said.

"It violates all the rules of sovereignty and the legitimate resolutions upon which Lebanon bases its relationship with Syria and the Syrian presence in Lebanon," the foreign minister told reporters.

Syria has an estimated 20,000 troops stationed in Lebanon, and dominates its smaller neighbor politically.

CONTINUED...

As if Israel has any right to demand that another nation "end the occupation' after more than 70 UN resolutions calling on them to withdraw.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Lebanese Foreign Minister Jean Obeid = Syrian "mouth-piece" and puppet.....

Personally, whats good for the "goose" is good for the "gander".

Syria's "Greater Syria strategy/plan" has been in enactment for 20-30 years with the 'cannabalization' of Lebanon to "occupation" of Lebanon...perhaps the "hypothetical" destruction of Israel will bring a end to the "occupation" of Lebanon?

For a list of the atrocities Syria has committed in Lebanon since 1975/76....
www.freelebanon.org...

1982, UN Security Council Resolution 520, and Bekaa Valley rings a bell....

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Syria is far more welcome in Lebanon that Israel is welcome in Palestine.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yeah...right...
That same "its OK if your an Arab to "occupy" 'me' ( and my people) and my lands, its ok to kill 'me' ( and my people), but LORD forbid a Jew/Zionist/etc." hype.....always a "justification", eh Arch? Amounts to total BS.....and seems that way to the UN doesn't it...oh, unless Israel mentions it?

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Yeah...right...

Lebanon is not complaining about it, Israel is.

The Palestinian complaints are endless.

Lebanese have far more rights than Palestinians.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
And Arch......just why is Lebanon not complaining about it? Duh?
Let me say it again, since you so lavishly like to mention it in regards to Iraq.....
The "stooges" that run the "public" show in Lebanon are just that: "stooges" of Syria....aka: mouth-pieces; puppets. They do the bidding of the government that "occupies" and suppresses them and anyone saying anything that is publically condemning of Syria ends up buried, lost, removed from public sight, dead (that has factual documented reports of).

Palestinians been complaining since day 2...nothing new and will not cease till the "final solution" is brought to fruitition by those Arab nations surrounding Israel (ie: utter destruction of the nation of Israel).

Seems the Hashemite's in Jordon are a bit worried and doing some complaining themselves over and on the Palestinians, within their nation and outside. Interesting that Palestinian's make-up 60%+ of Jordon.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
If Israel had not invaded in violation of international law, and occupied for a generation then there would not have been a need for a Syrian security force.

Israel enabled it by destroying the government, and then running with their tail between their legs.

And again, of all the nations on earth what gives Israel the right to demand that any nation do anything to comply with international law when there are more UN resolutions against them than any other nation?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
If Israel had not invaded in violation of international law, and occupied for a generation then there would not have been a need for a Syrian security force.

Syria was involved with Lebanon�s civil war before Israel showed up, and the PLO was there pouring gasoline on the fire while simultaneously building up strength to attack Israel. With five armies in a conflict, how come you only find fault with the one that (briefly) brought stability to the area?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Israel does not represent one single person in Lebanon.

I understand the events that led to the Israeli occupation, but also know that no one perceived them as liberators.

Israel will never be the lesser of two evils to anyone in the mid-east other than to Jews.

Maybe if Israel was not such a racist state it would not be a problem. If non-Jews enjoyed the same civil, and human rights that would change.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It's easy for arabs to love each other when they think they can legitimately blame all their problems on the US and Israel and not see their own incompetences.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Israel does not represent one single person in Lebanon.

I understand the events that led to the Israeli occupation, but also know that no one perceived them as liberators.

My brother-in-law, Lebanese-American, who came to the States in the mid 1980�s would disagree with you.

Israel will never be the lesser of two evils to anyone in the mid-east other than to Jews.

Here you describe Arab bigotry, and in a rather pessimistic way.

Personally, I�m more optimistic. I think that as the Arabic world moves into the 21st century, such bigoted attitudes will change. Western ideals of equality are infectious. I even have hopes of women�s rights and religious freedom in the Arab world someday. The one constant in the world is change; it just happens more slowly in some places than in others.

Maybe if Israel was not such a racist state it would not be a problem. If non-Jews enjoyed the same civil, and human rights that would change.

There are Israeli-Arabs in the Knesset, and Israeli-Arabs on the Israeli Supreme Court. In Israel, non-Jews do indeed enjoy the same civil rights as do Jews.

Does that mean Israel does not have a problem with racism? Absolutely not! Just as in the United States and many other countries, there are problems with racial tensions and bigotry that exist despite the fact that minorities do have full civil rights. Just as in the United States and other countries, Israel has some improving to do. That they have achieved as much as they have despite being in a state of almost constant war is, in my opinion, amazing and speaks very well for the Israeli character.

Pray for peace.

Lo yisa goy el goy cherev
Lo yilmedu od milchama

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
It's easy for arabs to love each other when they think they can legitimately blame all their problems on the US and Israel and not see their own incompetences.

It's probably their main problem. Link

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So the US has troops in Germany,UK,South Korea,and Japan.Are these countries under US occupation?

No,of course not,they host US troops because it is in their own security interests do do so.

While Israel still threatens Lebanon it's people will overwhelmingly support Syrian troops on their own soil.

If there was a vote in the Lebanon they would vote for Syrian troops to be stationed on their soil.

Don't ask why they don't have a vote,the people of the UK,Germany,South Korea,and Japan have never had a vote either.

As for the Foreign Minister being a puppet.Is Blair a puppet because he doesn't send US troops out of the UK?or Shroeder and the others?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
If there was a vote in the Lebanon they would vote for Syrian troops to be stationed on their soil.

One of the most effective ways to rig an election is to kill a good portion of the people who would vote the way you don't want them to.

Lebanon was once famous as being a region of peace and prosperity. That was before its civil wars tore it apart.

Syrian back Hezbollah troops firing on Israeli troops from over the border and kidnapping Israeli citizens are not helping bring peace to that poor country.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This link is to a fair and independent history of Lebanon if anyone is interested.

Mycroft read this before replying with selective snippets.Who knows you may learn something.

www.rimbaud.freeserve.co.uk...

top topics

join