It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC News: The Myths and Misconceptions of Chinese Toys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There's a lot of misinformation going on about China in the West, with the lead tainted toys being the most contentious issue of them. What's the actual truth behind it all? Journalist Alan G. Hassenfeld of Forbes sets the record straight with this commentary written for ABC News.

The Myths and Misconceptions of Chinese Toys

An enlightening read for ATS members who are in the business of denying ignorance. The article covers not only Made in China toys, it also addresses other issues like loss of jobs in the US blamed on China.

More info @ AboveTopSecret.com
Mattel, China and Disinfo

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I agree that Consumer Protection Agencies and private companies are to blame but the blame cannot be entirely shifted from China. Here is a UN guideline from 1999outlining ALOT of things governments SHOULD do. Governments have alot of responsibility when it comes to manufacturing safe products domestically and for export.

original OP article

My final thought is this: Why shouldn't there be one worldwide set of safety standards and safety testing procedures? That way, all countries would adhere to one proven standard, so that we could assure parents everywhere that the toys they give to their children are safe. If I could have one wish granted, it would be this one: that all children have safe toys to play with--no matter where they live.

see above

edit to add the "wish"

[edit on 23-11-2007 by x-phile]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Personally I feel that the toy recall was a shot at the Chinese economy by the United States government. With many of our banks and businesses moving over to China I think that the recall was a planned operation to show the Chinese government that the United States was still a force to be reckoned with on the international trade scene, and that America still knows how to play dirty

[edit on 23-12-2007 by lugnut387]

new topics

join