It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory on the feeling of someone watching you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have noticed that sometimes when you look at someone as you pass them in your car, they turn round as if they know your looking at them. Stories (mainly horrors) often mention the feeling of someone watching you, although a fictional story, this had to come from somewhere. What if this is becuase we all have some kind of mental link. Perhaps not enough to communicate telepathicaly, but enough to know someones watching you. I know that a mental link is probably believed by a lot of spiritual people, but this topic is more for the sceptics. Im not saying i believe in it, only that I currently can't think of another explanation. Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i think of it as another sense, when in an empty room and someone enters while your not looking you can "feel" them there for example listening to music with headphones and someone walks in

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
could have something to do with electroreception. sharks use this while hunting to find prey. probably not likely because this is usually found just in fish, but its what came to mind. oh well

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
We humans are like walking satellites. The problem is, most of us forgot that. We're so busy with our own little lives and too self-absorbed to really pay attention to those higher senses that we often ignore them and shake them off.

You're right that we do have some sort of mental link. We will acknowledge a person's presence sooner than we see them, but since we live in a world with technical gidgets and gadgets, we hardly ever pay attention to whomever is near us.

Now, for the feeling of being watched while no one is there, I can only think of spirits or higher beings taking an interest in our physical lifes.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I'm thinking quantum mechanics might have the answer to this strange phenomenon. The wave function collapse when a particle is observed comes to mind. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Have you noticed how chicks KNOW when someone's watching them? If she's walking in front of you, you're behind..she'll turn around. If she's sitting alone in the park, and you're on the other side admiring her beauty, she'll look straight at you.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I seem to remember reading a newspaper article a couple of years back about scientists believing that it was a sense in us, I tried looking on google for it but couldn't find anything, was a long time ago I read it now I suppose

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
There's a documentary dealing with this, I think...

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I used to be able to tell when a friend of mine would come into a group meeting type situation without actually seeing him enter the room. It would freak him out every time.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I believe intuition is powerful and this is what gives a person the feeling they are being watched. I know I had that feeling back in 1994 in my mothers basement. I had this feeling I was being watched from a window to my left. My mothers basement has windows which are at ground level. I had the smart idea of turning my head really fast to see if my intuition was right. What I saw changed my life forever. It was dark outside but the light from the basement highlighted the alien in the window in which I had an eye lock with for about 20 sec. before turning my head in disbelief. When I went to look back it was gone. Oh and by the way...It was black and not gray. There was something else that happened the next day but I will not discuss on these forums because there are to many Masons here.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I used to wonder about this as well. Try staring at a person in a vehicle when you're driving past them on the highway. They'll look right at you.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
First post, just because I feel strongly on this topic.

I think there is a collective subconscious (or "hivemind" if you will). As proof, a lot of ideas have been developed in two places at once, the most notable of which being calculus. I've had such an event happen to me - you know the theory with multiple universes that act like bubbles that was featured in Time magazine a little over a year ago? I was thinking those same thoughts about two weeks before it was published. Whether or not it was my idea or whether I received it from elsewhere, I think it is safe to say that remains a fair example. I'd go on about where I think thoughts come from, but that would be too far off topic so I'll save it for another thread :3

I also read somewhere (can't find it now, sorry) that when babies begin to cry, their mothers begin to lactate. Not a surprise, sure - but this happens over distances as well. I also know for a fact that the USSR did tests on controlling the collective subconcious so that their spies could be paired with a controller and have the pair relay information to eachother. While it was never claimed a success, the fact that they believed in it enough to try it, in my opinion, says something about its truth.

"Feeling" people nearby comes as a side effect of that.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I believe.....
..... this sense is the power of perception.
In early human evolution survival was critical to the continuity of the human species. Early humankind may have evolved a sixth sense which was highly tuned especially to danger from many external sources.
I believe the female of the human species still retains (what is commonly refered to as female intuition)
My wife exhibits this many times. Just as previously stated a woman reaching a certain life stage may discover a heightened ability to being watched or indeed that 'something is not quite right'.
This is natures law. You are either gifted this way or not.

The world we inhabit has become a complicated and complex. We are distracted in many ways and in certain instances the mind is a bombarded with vast amounts of ongoing external content. However fast this content is processed is dependent on the individual.
Rather strangely I can never ever remember an instance when I felt I was being stalked or watched.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 'Somebody's watching me' ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

top topics

join