It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

serra vs hughes is off. NO fight...serra is hurt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
if you go to ufc.com you can see it on the front page.

during a routine session he felt the pain and went to the hospital and he had herniated a disc...

depending on where in his body and how bad it is, he may not ever fight again...that is me saying this, not the ufc....'

for example, if he had to have the same kind of surgery i had, he would never get a medical clearence to fight...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
back to the interim belt crap.

hughes and st pierre are gonna fight for the belt, serra gets the winner.

i am starting to think that belts really have no place in mma.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
UFC seriously NEVER fails to disappoint me. The last PPV was the most boring 2 hours ever. I am no longer spending any of my money on UFC.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh no! I was so looking forward to that fight. I really wanted to see what Serra had in terms of fighting ability.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Oh no! I was so looking forward to that fight. I really wanted to see what Serra had in terms of fighting ability.

didn't you see him beat GSP?
either way, hughes and GSP are fighting for the interim. as soon as serra can fight, he will fight for the belt.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The last UFC event was an exception, and I don't think we fault them majorly for that. Dana White wanted to do what we could to offer a legitimate headliner, but his hands were tied. His main option was to bump Hughes/Serra up a month, while the season of the Ultimate Fighter was still airing. Personally, I'm glad he didn't. While the fight card for the last UFC event was sub-par, I thought it was a good event to watch. A few of us got together and picked it up on pay per view, and I have to say that I was overly satisfied.

Looking forward, I think we're going to see some tremendous events.

I am disappointed to see that Serra/Hughes is not going to happen in the foreseeable future, but it will eventually. (I really wanted to see Serra pound him down) But this will give the Canadian kid, GSP, a chance to retain the title. Silva/Liddell, what can you say? That's going to be quite the fight. Both are slightly out of their prime, but it's still an amazing fight.

In January, we have Penn/Stevenson, which is probably the one fight that I'm the most excited about. When I had heard that Penn/Stevenson might be added to the December event, I was almost coming out of my chair. As sad as I am to have to wait another month, this is a match that should headline an event.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of UFC at all, but that Matt Hughes is a mean little son of a bitch. Serra and Hughes would have been a good fight, though Hughes would come out on top. Herniated disc.. Bummmmer..

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
On Spike tonight, it's showing the best fights of 2007. Just watched the Serra/GSP fight from earlier in the year, and what a match. While very short, it was certainly one of the best of the year. I hadn't seen it up until just now.

Whoever wins this month between GSP/Hughes, their match against Serra is going to be an absolute show down.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Like I said before.. I don't follow UFC anymore, but after I scammed through this post, I looked up a few G. St. Pierre clips and I'd truly fear that man. He reminds me of a little Vandale Silva. Dude is a beast and from what I saw, he's dropped Matt Hughes in a previous fight.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
didn't you see him beat GSP?

I did, and it didn't give me a very good feeling of his true fighting level. As I'm sure you know anyone can get lucky with a punch and I have a feeling Serra did just that.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

While I agree that Serra isn't as proven as some of the other big wigs of their division, I think he packs the same power and has a ground game that certainly carries his own. Going into this season of The Ultimate Fighter, I was a big fan of Hughes and didn't really care for Serra. After watching it, I am a big fan of Serra and I am liking Hughes less and less.

Hughes comes across as very selfish, and downright whiny. Serra cares about those that he trains with, cared for his fighters, and actually respected them.

Being a Canadian, I gotta go for GSP. On one hand I want to see GSP take the title, but on the other.. I want to see Serra pound out Hughes.

--

This week's episode of The Ultimate Fighter was amazing. Speers' knock out of George was definitely the best of the season, and one of the best of all-time in the shows' history.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've been a big fan of Serra after seeing him on The Ultimate Fighter last season. He is a stand-up, respectable levelheaded guy from what I've seen.

That said he has yet to prove himself...I need to see him in an all out battle where all of his skill can be scrutinized against top fighters in the division. I didn't see that in the GSP fight. I saw one well placed punch and capitalization on said punch which led to his victory.

As someone that was in a ring for 12+ years I can honestly say you can't judge a fighter on one punch.

[edit on 12/6/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I've been a big fan of Serra after seeing him on The Ultimate Fighter last season. He is a stand-up, respectable levelheaded guy from what I've seen.

Could not agree more. And at a time when the UFC is trying to shed the savage image, I think Serra is a role model. Hughes doesn't seem to agree, but to each their own.

Just set a recording for Saturday night's finale.

The Huerta fight is going to be excellent as well. I loved his earlier fight against Leonard Garcia. Both guys were willing to just let 'em fly, and it's good to see that from time to time.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

i don't too often go with the 'lucky punch' theory...
i mean, i understand what you are saying but serra threw the punch no? he threw it with the intention of hitting gsp and he did.

serra has good standup but his ground game is insane....go back and watch the shonie carter fight...he was working, going from sub to sub before shonie got him with that back fist....

he's a nasty lil dude.....i want hughes to win cause i want to see him and serra go at it.

i have a wedding to go to and i just set my dvr as well.

i also agree that the huerta fight is gonna be nasty...

can't wait....

i hope tommy sper knocks mac into another dimension.

i just don't like mac at all.
he has skills obviously but he also has this high and mighty tude, IMO.

how many times did he have to say 'i've been doing this for 7 years man..now i have to be in here with people like bowman'

i'm thinking if you're so bad ass nasty then how come you are not already in the big show?

oh yeah, it's cause mach sakurai knocked you out

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
i don't too often go with the 'lucky punch' theory...
i mean, i understand what you are saying but serra threw the punch no? he threw it with the intention of hitting gsp and he did.

The thing is this...if it wasn't a lucky punch then Serra is the best fighter to ever step in the ring. I mean if GSP can't last more than 4 min in the ring with Serra then he is a champion of champions. Maybe Serra is the baddest man to ever enter the octagon but I haven't seen proof of that just yet. I saw a well thrown punch that connected and was then capitalized on by Serra, nothing more.

I hope he proves me wrong because I really respect and like the guy but I will continue to see it as "lucky" until Serra shows what he really has against a top fighter.

join