It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Team...hand picked baseball team

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Some of you baseball fans may have heard of Larry Dierker's book "My Team". In it he picks from players that he has seen, coached, played with ect.. I recommend to any fan. Being a big fantasy baseball player I did the same. .. Picking 25 Here is my team.. I considered offensive, defensive, and speed.
C Johnny Bench, Ivan Rodriguez
SP Roger Clemons, Nolon Ryan, Steve Carlton, Randy Johnson, G Maddox
RP Billy Wagner, Mariano Rivera, Tim Wakefield
3b Mike Schmidt, Brooks Robinson
SS Derek Jeter, Luis Aparicio
2b Ryne Sandberg, Joe Morgan
1b Frank Thomas, Don Mattingly
OF Roberto Clemente, Willie Mays, Billy Williams, Ken Griffey Jr, Pete Rose
Rickie Henderson
I have one opening...who should it be? Who would your team be?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
C- same
SP- Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, Sandy Koufax
RP- Dennis Eckersly, Trevor Hoffman, Mariano Rivera
1B- Albert Pujols, Pete Rose, Mark McGuire
2B - Roberto Alomar, Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith, Derek Jeter
3B- Alex Rodriguez
OF- Barry Bonds, Roberto Clemente, Willie Mays, Vladimir Guerrero, Bernie Williams, Kirby Pucket, Reggie Jackson, did Babe Ruth play outfield?

DH- Big Papi

I also have a couple of spots open but this is the best I could do of the top of my head.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

C - Mike Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez (since I've got Pudge already (defense), I'll take the best hitting catcher ever)

SP - Roger Clemens, Bob Gibson, Pedro, Randy Johnson, G Maddux (that's a ridiculous staff
)

R - Eck, Mariano Rivera (easy)

3b - Chipper Jones, A-Rod (A-Rod will be the best there ever was)

SS - Derek Jeter, Ozzie Smith (the "Wizard" comes off the bench for purely defensive reasons)

2b - Ryne Sandberg, Roberto Alomar, Craig Biggio (Biggio is a multi-position guy)

1b - Albert Pujols, Jeff Bagwell, Lou Gherig

OF - Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Vlad Guerrero, Mickey Mantle,
Ty Cobb, Ted Williams (Cobb is my leadoff hitter, watch out!)

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Nice teams! I couldn't pick guys I had not seen.
I believe all my players have won gold gloves. Most won several.
I wish I would have seen Koufax..
I am still debating who should be last player added..

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Interesting that you picked Wakefield as a reliever. Most of his career was as a starter. He was a closer for one year, and was horrible at it. His best success came as a starter.

That being said, I was at game 5 of the ALCS in 2004 where he came out of the bullpen and pitched a scoreless 12, 13, and 14 inning for the victory.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

I just felt I needed a guy that could throw(even start) most any day. THe team I have will not have any trouble offensively speaking. So I'd say he'd pitch with the lead. But also someone who would give a different look. I saw all the "great knuckleballers"..Niekros, Wilhelm, Wood and I say Wakefield is the best. Most would take like J Smoltz who I really also like. I may add him as the last player.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I think maybe you overlooked someone. How about Cal Ripken Jr?

[edit on 30-11-2007 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Talk about overlooking...

I don't know about the other 8 positions, but my left fielder is Ugly Johnny Dickshot.
Unless Bevo LeBourveau is available.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

Dazed,
You are right many would take Cal instead of Aparicio..Aparicio was the Ozzie Smith of his day but with canon arm.. He could bunt if you needed.
He played many of years on dismal WSOX teams that struggled to score even a couple runs a game. I say had he played on even an ave team his offensive #'s would improve. I just don't like cry babies like ARod and Aparicio was my 2nd fav.. so he made the cut. I do like Cal and may make him that last player..

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Ok, this is what I threw together. Its late and I can't think of everybody so this is what I came up with. I'm glad you only asked for 25. Its harder to think these up than it sounds like it would be.

P Nolen Ryan, Pedro Martinez, Vida Blue, Sandy Koufax, Catfish Hunter

RP Charlie Hough, Josh Beckett, Rollie Fingers

C Pudge Rodriguez, Johnny Bench

1 Mark Teixeira , Rafael Palmero

2 Roberto Alomar

SS Michael Young, Cal Ripken Jr.

3 Brooks Robinson , Wade Boggs

LF Hank Aaron , Ricky Henderson

CF Suzuki Ichiro, Reggie Jackson, Willie Mays

RF Tony Gwin, Reggie Jackson,

DH Paul Molitor

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Dazed..
Beckett in bullpen huh, I don't see Hough except for the knucklballer aspect(Seems he threw a knucklball right?). I liked Rafael P till the source of his power was revealed(juicer). I like M Young but he didn't play well last year. Otherwise fine team..

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Now wait a minute. Don't go talking about Young.

Just kidding. But look..
2. Triples- 39
3. Singles- 924
4. Hits- 1,305
6. Doubles- 239
6. Runs- 641
7. Extra-base hits- 381
7. At Bats- 4,315
7. Runs Batted In- 570
8. Batting Average- .302
Not too shabby I would say. His season wasn't as good as year before, but there was alot going on Club wise I believe affected him.
Anyway my 2 cents. I am Texas Ranger fan as you can probably tell.
Charlie Hough was a great pitcher and a Hall of Famer. There were better but I like him
He was very dependable and yes a really good knuckle ballplus he was a RANGER.
I only put Beckett in the pen because he is still young and needs to grow up mentally. He is going to be one of the greats though thats for sure.

Oh I forgot about Palmero. Yes he got caught, but I bet you it would be ahrd to find a single player in this era, that has any power that didn't use the roids. I am sure there were some who didn't but alot who did. That said, you can't take away Palmero's skill. He had the perfect swing.

[edit on 3-12-2007 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Young maybe a bit "young" pardo the pun.. Me I'm a WSOX fan..I saw Young get more than a couple big hits. I liked Hough too.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
LOL. Good one. White Sox fan huh? Going to be fun this season to have someone to pick back and forth at. A little friendly rivalry

I like almost all teams except maybe the Yankees, since they trade so much now your favorite players may play for the rival team next season. So I guess I am just a Fan of Baseball.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

Yeah I hate Yankees..starting to heavily dislike RSOX.. WSOX already messing up..oh well better stick to topic..
Am torn between J Smoltz, K Puckett, Cal Ripken as my last player..

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Oh I just wanted to add that I wanted to put Hank Blalock on the roster but with the injury last season he is shaky right now. Although he came on strong as the DH after he came back.

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A couple other thoughts..If you play a double header does playing the "2nd" string pose any issues such as all right handed hitting, speed, defense?

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Never thought about that before BlackProjects.
I wouldn't think it would be a big problem. A lot of the players now days are switch hitters and as you know speed is required in the higher leagues so they should all be on a level field.
Hope that is what you were asking me.
My little leauge team has played double headers with no problems, but I guess that is different.LOL

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Dazed..
True enough many big leaguers go both games..depending on various factors age being one.. Guys of this caliber will not be happy not playing.
I see most playing almost every other game..One friend of mine..did not consider backups at each position..Then when he did I think he had one left handed hitter. That lineup may be a bit more vulnerable to a good rightie..Yes, speed is relative(that being high at major league level). You'd be surprised how fast say a Konerko or Thome would be in a slow pitch diamond. I'm not saying they would be blazing or anything..just saying you'd be surprised.

new topics

top topics

join