It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best anti virus and spyware programs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I decided to run a few scans of my computer using 'Ad-Aware SE Personal' and 'AVG Free Edition'. There were few bits of spyware floating around, pretty good considering I don't use firewalls or filters or anything, ever, and haven't scanned my computer for over a year.

But are there any other better programs out there? I'm sure the tech-head of ATS must have a few programs hidden up their sleeves.
wtr

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
There are some anti-malware programs designed for specific malware (spyware) and then there are general spyware removers.

THe best general anti-spyware I have come across is superantispyware . I know, it sounds cheesy, but believe me it is the best for finding *ALL* spyware. It is usually the most effective and the quickest to update their definition files. Iand ITS FREE.

Hijackthis is a very effective tool as well but requires a little more experience than the novice user.

THe program you already used, adaware, has been around forever and was the pioneer in anti-spyware and is still very good.

By the way, none of the commercial product you can buy in the store are as effective as the free products I have mentioned sofar. Ironic, eh?

spybotSearch and Destroy is an oldy but goody.

Housecall by Micro Trend is a very good product.

Sysinternals is probably THE most powerful of the group but does require some computer savvy.

Hope this helps.

X-

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yeah thanks x-phile for the tip in another thread. I loaded superantispyware and it found trojans that AVG and ad-Aware missed.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I ran that super-antispyware program and it found a fair few things.
Thanks x-phile

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I ran that super-antispyware program and it found a fair few things.
Thanks x-phile

Originally posted by whaaa
Yeah thanks x-phile for the tip in another thread. I loaded superantispyware and it found trojans that AVG and ad-Aware missed.

Anytime. Glad I could help. It's kinda ironic the program installs a little "bug" in your taskbar, eh?

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I use Avast! and I think it is a good product. It does not slow down my computer (an 5 years old Athlon 1900+ with 512MB and Windows Vista) and, apparently, does its job.

I do not use any anti-spyware program, but when I see a computer that can have any spyware installed I use the utilities from Sysinternals.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I use Norton and Lavasoft AdAware. I seldom get any viruses or spywares.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
NOD32 was recommended to me by a ex-Microsoft engineer who is a computer genius (Beta tests for ACES, tests ES hardware) and also lectures at Universities.

Pandasoft anti-virus also got rid of some viruses that I previously couldn't get rid of.

[edit on 30/11/07 by JimmyCarterIsSmarter]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Lavasoft AdAware is best for your common cookie trackers and basic spyware. Though, you may want to try other programs for more serious spyware. It's always good to run AdAware to clean out the 'crap'. Oh yeah, be careful of fake prorams, like Dr Protection, which can cause problems some people say besides being a pest that wants you to register and does nothing to help you.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Got bot?

New free security utility: Trend Micro’s RUBotted (Beta)

RUBotted monitors for remote command and control (C&C) commands sent from a bot-herder to control your computer. Additionally, RUBotted watches for an array of potentially malicious bot-related activities, including mass mailing - a common activity performed by a bot-infected computer.

RUBotted co-exists with your existing AV software, providing advanced bot specific behavior monitoring. RUBotted does not rely on frequent, network intensive updates to ensure your computer's continued protection.

[edit on 1/13/08 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

ESET Nod32 definitely. It has a free online scanner.
You can combine it (if you dare) with PCTools Threatfire.

For spyware, I assume Webroot is still the best. Don't use it myself, I have a combination of free antispyware. And I never have problem with either viruses and/or spywares.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

For spyware I hcurrently use both Adaware and Spybot S&D, and have been since spyware started
darn im old.

On my own PC I use Symantec AV 9 Corporate still and refuse to go to a newer version. Other than the silly Subscription service they have for updates, I sill trust norton as the best AV and best support online.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My computer isn't the best, so Norton might slow it down a bit. All I'm looking for is something I can use to scan my system every few months.
I *just* bought 2 Gbs of RAM, so hopefully this rust bucket goes a bit faster. A 3-fold increase in speed, it should be.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I currently use Zone Alarm and Ad-Aware Pro both really good products. The really cool thing about Zone Alarm is that nothing gets in or out of your system without your O.K. and you are able to instantly block any outside source from connecting to your computer.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

But are there any other better programs out there?

This list has some AV programs that you may not be aware of.

new topics

top topics

join