It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oldest bible....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The oldest bible..... Whom possesses it and how does it compare with modern versions (king james etc?) in what language is it written and are there any translations available.....On the conspiratorial side, is there reason to believe the vatican may hold even older versions?

Just hoping a few of you might have some answers im not especially religious....

In advance, thanks....

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
the enuma elish is one of the oldest forms of religious control dating back to 5000BC..whenever Mesopotamia existed.

As for the Holy Bible?.....I believe we can go as early as 2000 BC.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by canuck7500

I've been really busy lately, but I'll try to look that up tomorrow afternoon.
Although others would probably be more knowledgeable.
Good question, though. I know the dead sea scrolls contain much of the old testament almost word-for-word and it's supposedly really old.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just been curious lately how far back modern christianity can be traced....

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It depends on what you are looking for. What is currently in the Bible is not the only literature written about Christianity at the time. The books of the Old and New Testament were chosen by man in the sense that there was no 'order' from God that only these particular books should be included. For instance, there were different forms of the creation story but Genesis was used.

You could also check out the Council of Nicaea for information regarding how certain Christian ideals were chosen or viewed in the past. There are many more resources but unless you're looking for something specific it might be an odd search.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The oldest Version of the Christian Bible, would be the Catholic version in use today. It contains all of the texts in use by the majority of Christians in use from around the middle of the second century. But was not offically canonized until the Council of Trent 1545-63.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The oldest known complete bible is the Codex Sinaiticus which dates from the 3rd to 4th century, although now bits of it have fragmented and are lost and the rest is dispersed around the world in different institutions. The OT was probably compiled between 1000 BCE and 500 BCE although the oldest recorded fragment being around 700 BCE on silver scrolls. The OT was probably compiled together by Ezra the scribe after the return from babylonian captivity with additions up to 2nd century BCE.

The inclusion of the OT with the NT was likely an attempt by the early church to try and give christianity some validity (as the OT was written by jews for jews)

The oldest religious text found is the pyramid text in the Pyramid of Unas c. 2300 BCE. While the oldest surviving religion is Hunduism with the rig veda c. 1550 BCE being its oldest religious text.

G

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I appreciate everybody who took the time to post a reply, and a thank you for the links as well.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Although the codex A and B, Sinaiticus and Vaticanus appear to be older, they were translated from the Textus Receptus.

Many, me included, look upon the Alexandrian texts as propaganda developed by Constantine to galvinize his religious and governmental control.

Bible manuscripts

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Though that I am an Athiest, I do dabble with the religous aspects of the bible for my sister is studying "World Religion and theology" in her current courses.
What I've read so far is true, but there is an earlier date of the first communications from God to man.

What is the oldest Bible version? Consider the original recipients of Scripture. God, in communicating His love for man and His desire for a loving relationship with them, set apart an individual through whom He would communicate and illustrate that love. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and their descendants became that vehicle. And the very first portions of Scripture (God's message to man) were written in their language, which was Hebrew. Portions of the Old Testament in Hebrew date back several hundred years further than either the Greek or Latin versions. With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, manuscripts now exist from as early as 168 B.C., and confirm that Hebrew was still the language used by Jews during the time of Christ. In fact, their discovery has helped establish the preciseness and integrity of Hebrew scribes in accurately reproducing manuscripts throughout the ages.

Christianity is nothing more than a man made religion and has it's place in history. As it began there has always been references to other religion's that existed before Christianity and the cannonization of the Holy bible.

Source:

www.allabouttruth.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
The oldest Version of the Christian Bible, would be the Catholic version in use today. It contains all of the texts in use by the majority of Christians in use from around the middle of the second century. But was not offically canonized until the Council of Trent 1545-63.

Hi/
When yu refer to the Catholic version, it is not Roman Catholic as it is known today!
The word Catholic means Universal..therefore meaning Christianity world wide!
Catholic, pronounced......Ka/tho/lik means universal.
So therefore, The Roman Catholic church have a pope who is the head of the Roman Catholic church...this wa not so in the early century.
There were 5(?) main headquarters ......it is written in the New Testament(cant remember where)and each were to come together before any Law of God were made.....Canons of the Church(Ekklisia..gathering of people)...
The oldest and most accurate Old Testament is the Septuagint......it was 70 elders being Jews and Greeks and what have you(cant remember)who got together.....this Septuagint Old Testament is still in Use by the Greek/Russian Orthodox Church.....Being One Holy Catholic (universal)and Apostolic Church.
The laws were set by the Councils.....The Catholic(Universal)church recognizes only seven such councils.
Whatever rules or laws made at later dates is not recognized as being Gods Law!
Why was tehre a breakdown of such rules?
What years?
Why would man want to change what was already spoken and made laws by the Apostles?

helen

top topics

join