It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun with Quotes day...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Some statements I thought were pertinent to our "war" on Iraq.

"Trying to eliminate Saddam, extending the ground war into an occupation of Iraq, would have violated our guideline about changing objectives in midstream, engaging in "mision creep", and would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him (Saddam) was probably impossible." - Brent Scowcroft, National Security Advisor to Bush 41 (1991)

"We should not march into Baghdad...To occupy Iraq would instanty shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us, and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day Arab hero." - Bush 41 (1991)

"The Gulf-War was a limited objective war. If it had not been, we would be ruling Baghdad today- at unpardonable expense in terms of money, lives lost and ruined regional relationships." - Colin Powell 1991

Is it me or do these guys sound as un-american and anti-patriotic as it can get?

you're either with us or against us daddy..with us or against us daddy...with us or against us daddy...

There is no authority anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
"The Americans are committing suicide at our city walls!"

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of Doom
Some statements I thought were pertinent to our "war" on Iraq.

"Trying to eliminate Saddam, extending the ground war into an occupation of Iraq, would have violated our guideline about changing objectives in midstream, engaging in "mision creep", and would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him (Saddam) was probably impossible." - Brent Scowcroft, National Security Advisor to Bush 41 (1991)

"We should not march into Baghdad...To occupy Iraq would instanty shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us, and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day Arab hero." - Bush 41 (1991)

"The Gulf-War was a limited objective war. If it had not been, we would be ruling Baghdad today- at unpardonable expense in terms of money, lives lost and ruined regional relationships." - Colin Powell 1991

Is it me or do these guys sound as un-american and anti-patriotic as it can get?

you're either with us or against us daddy..with us or against us daddy...with us or against us daddy...

There is no authority anywhere - Lao Tse

It seems like those guys quoted above thought it was a bad idea back then, wonder what makes it such a good a idea now???..

And NO i don't want to start another discussion about if war was justified or not...so let's not go there again.

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
And NO i don't want to start another discussion about if war was justified or not...so let's not go there again.

The war is not justified!

Want some good Bush quotes?

"The world is more peaceful and more free under my leadership."

"As we hunt down the terrorists, we're committed to spending -- spreading freedom in all parts of the world, including the Middle East."

"We're fighting an enemy that knows no rules of law, that will wear civilian uniforms, that is willing to kill in order to continue the reign of fear of Saddam Hussein. "

"I've not made up our mind about military action. "

"Sometimes it's not easy to be the friend of George W. Bush -- I know that. If you know what I mean. "

"I'm the master of low expectations. "

"I know something about being a government. And you've got a good one. "

"They misunderestimated me. "

"Do as I say and not as I did."

"I think war is a dangerous place. "

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once -- shame on -- shame on you. You fool me, you can't get fooled again. "

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear
--Harry S. Truman

By definition, a government has no conscience, sometimes it has a policy, but nothing more.
--Albert Camus

Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of government. The history of liberty is the history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it
--Woodrow Wilson

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
--Edward Abbey

The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out...without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, intolerable.
--H. L. Mencken

Government is not reason. Government is not eloquence. It is force. And, like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.
--George Washington

Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods.
--H. L. Mencken

It may not always be easy, convenient, or politically correct to stand for truth and right, but it is the right thing to do. Always.
--M. Russell Ballard

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want rain without thunder and lightning.
--Frederick Douglass

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

--Voltaire

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

--Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.

--Thomas Jefferson

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

--Thomas Jefferson

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.

--Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

--Thomas Jefferson

There is not a truth existing which I fear... or would wish unknown to the whole world.

--Thomas Jefferson

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

The government is good at one thing...it knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say 'see if it weren't for the government you wouldn't be able to walk.

--Harry Browne

It must never be unpatriotic to support your country against your government. It must always be unpatriotic to support your government against your country.

--Stephen T. Byington

If men can develop weapons that are so terrifying as to make the thought of global war include almost a sentence for suicide, you would think that man's intelligence and his comprehension... would include also his ability to find a peaceful solution.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

In most communities it is illegal to cry "fire" in a crowded assembly. Should it not be considered serious international misconduct to manufacture a general war scare in an effort to achieve local political aims?

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Democracy is not a state in which people act like sheep.

-Ghandi

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away.

--Barry Goldwater

The right of revolution is an inherent one. When people are oppressed by their government, it is a natural right they enjoy to relieve themselves of oppression, if they are strong enough, whether by withdrawal from it, or by overthrowing it and substituting a government more acceptable.

--Ulysses S. Grant

There comes a time when a moral man can�t obey a law which his conscience tells him is unjust.

--Martin Luther King Jr.

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.

--Thomas Paine

Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.

--Thomas Paine

That government is best which governs least.

--Henry David Thoreau

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

--Henry David Thoreau

In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man and brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs
nothing to be a Patriot.

--Mark Twain

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

--Voltaire

Taking somebody's money without permission is stealing, unless you work for the IRS; then it's taxation. Killing people en masse is homicidal mania, unless you work for the Army; then it's National Defense. Spying on your neighbors is invasion of privacy, unless you work for the FBI; then it's National Security. Running a whorehouse makes you a pimp and poisoning people makes you a murderer, unless you work for the CIA; then it's counter-intelligence.

--Robert Anton Wilson

The United States ranks 13th on the Human Freedom Index. Twelve other countries are freer than the United States .

--United Nations

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

The United States ranks 13th on the Human Freedom Index. Twelve other countries are freer than the United States .

--United Nations

The UN appointed Sudan, a slaveholding nation, to the human rights commission in 2001. The same year it deemed the US unfit for that position. So forgive me if I don't give a # what the UN says

top topics

join