It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minister sacks Argentine spy boss

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Minister sacks Argentine spy boss

news.bbc.co.uk

The head of military intelligence in Argentina has been sacked for plotting to replace President-elect Cristina Kirchner's new defence minister.
In taped conversations, Brigadier General Osvaldo Montero was heard telling interior ministry officials that Nilda Garre had to go.

But Ms Garre moved first and sacked him for disloyalty.

Ms Garre is part of the government being formed by Ms Kirchner, who will take over as president next month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mercopress.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Any time a top official gets sacked I think it is something that should be taken note of. The article says that he will plotting to get read of an official who is going to be taking of the government next month. It also goes on to say that moral in the military is low. All of this could mean times might be troubled in the future of the country. I hope what ever happens that violence will not be the answer.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
And this is how political coups are started. One "disloyal" member of a cabnet it removed, he forms alliances with dangerous people (possibly with ties to the CIA) and they move in for the kill.

Should be an interesting time for Argentina.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

If that's the case there should already be opposition groups in the country, and if it is be an armed conflict they already have the weapons.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is very concerning, especially given that Argentina (and other South American nations) has been plagued by military juntas for much of the last century.

Remember what happened last time? Galtieri takes over the military junta, his popularity dwindles... so he starts a war by invading the Falkland Islands. The international community must make clear that democracy is the only acceptable course in Argentina.

Very interesting, nevertheless. We should keep an eye on this one.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Ste
I remember the war but I don't remember the reasons behind it.
Still thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Basically, the head of Argentina's last military government (Leopoldo Galtieri) became pretty unpopular within months of coming to power. His economic reforms were making things worse and the Argentine people wanted a return to democracy. He wouldn't allow this, since it'd mean he'd be out of power and hence decided to start a conflict as a 'unifying factor' to get the people behind him and keep them under control. In April 1982, Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands (a UK Overseas Territory), home to about 2,000 British people.

Initially, it worked. But when Argentina lost the war two months later, he was kicked out of power and democracy was restored.

I would not put it past a military dictator to do something similar again. It might not be the Falklands this time, since the defences have been significantly improved, but there are plenty of other excuses and places to attack. Didn't Argentina have some disputes with Chile over their borders at some point? Not sure whether this is still an issue, though.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Like I said I did remember the war but not the aftermath. So thanks for filling me in on that part.
I hope it will not be another war. Like I said before what ever happens I just hope it will be with out violence.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I hope there won't be another war either, and the best way to ensure that is to protect democracy in Argentina.

Many thousands of Argentines disappeared during the military junta's reign, found murdered and tortured many years later simply for disagreeing with the government. Argentina learned their lesson through the deaths of many of their fellow countrymen - it would be a travesty to their memory to allow another junta to rule Argentina again.

This event, I feel, is potentially the start of something bigger. Argentina has the chance to stop this now, and I hope for their sake that they take it.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

I hope they will take it also. On the up side maby this is not as big a deal as we are talking about. A senior official got fired. It is not that uncommon for it to happen. Maby this will just be a foot note in the pages of history.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It very well may turn into a non-issue, but I think our speculation is stemming from the fact that this official was recorded says the political leader he served had to go. Such words im sure are spoken often, but in south america, they can be deadly words.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Yes good point.
Taking location and whom is saying the words they could have more impact.

new topics

top topics

join