It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$7.00 for a cup of Starbucks Coffee

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
XL5

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I have had some old (bought 2years ago-used in a month) Newyork fries seasoning spice shakers that had MSG in it, they were really great. Then they took the MSG out and they weren't that great, that happend the same time they changed the oil in the fries to make em taste bland. I know MSG is bad but it is yummy/addictive.

I think they might be lacing the Starbucks cup paper with MSG that seeps out when its hot.

Anyway, I think some of you should do some easy tests. Get some store bought SB beans and go get some unused Starbucks cups and normal mugs and do a blind taste test with a freind. It could be all in your head too, but try the cup idea anyway.

Maybe try to go to SB's early in the morning before they brew some up, bring them the store bought beans and get them to make some for you. Maybe its the beans, maybe its the secret msg cream but its not some secret property of the machine, maybe its the residue left in the machine.

About the cost though, if people had more will power and became cheap "buggers", they would be forced to lower prices-everywhere. Its the rich peoples way of taxing the soon to be poor, so if we don't buy it, they don't become rich.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Why do you think their coffee has MSG? MSG gives a taste they call umami, which is sort of like the meat flavor (which is why it's in cheap broths and stock). I don't think it fits.

On that note, you should do your best to stay away from monosodium glutamate, phenylalanine (aspartame), and sucralose at the least. There's probably more, but you don't really want synthetic flavor enhancers and sweeteners, and I know at least the first two are linked to symptoms that are quite bad.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Forget coffee. My mum lives about 400km from my place. It used to cost around $35 to get there. Now it costs around $60. That's in Australian dollars by the way.

I don't see her as much anymore. That's worse than coffee.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
You may wonder how this post fits here in Peak oil. Well I just drove to Starbucks which is 7 miles away. I got a 4 dollar cup of coffee and it cost me 3 dollars round trip in gas. This realization is just a small picture of the greater trouble we are in if we do not change to alternative fuels or transportation

actually not, the situation prompts me to say........
Get an Expresso Machine

by making your own, your not polluting the environment with exhaust
that is a result of a 'want' rather than a 'Need' (such as a ER visit)

option #2, take off those ?italian leather shoes? made for plush carpet walking and power steering driving... and put on running shoes,

it will do a heart good - - (to borrow a tag line from another promo)

good clean fun, including this reply post

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh man... there are just too many ways for me to bite my tongue on this one.

First of all, you couldn't pay ME $4.00 to drink that burnt swill. It's over-roasted, over-processed, prepared at FAR too high a temperature and placed in a cup that makes the coffee taste like burnt cardboard. Who in the hell would pay for that???
Add the fact that I'd have to burn a gallon of gas for that crap and the decision is easy - DON'T DRINK THAT CRAP!!!

Personally, I buy beans in bulk - grind them fresh when I prepare my coffee - and enjoy rich, freshly brewed coffee at home for about .25 cents per cup when ever I want without having to pay for crap coffee, burn gas and hang out with a bunch of wanna-be artists and pseudo-elites with too many piercings and too few brain cells. For my money, I'm staying home!

posted on Feb, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You may wonder how this post fits here in Peak oil. Well I just drove to Starbucks which is 7 miles away. I got a 4 dollar cup of coffee and it cost me 3 dollars round trip in gas. This realization is just a small picture of the greater trouble we are in if we do not change to alternative fuels or transportation.

I make pretty good living. I cannot imagine how this must effect people living on minimum wage. It now costs more to drive to the store for a gallon o$4 for a cup of coffee?

f milk than the milk costs.

Umm that’s about $32 a gallon for coffee, but you complain about the cost of gas?

Also you drove 14 miles and it cost you $3? That’s about 14 MPG! What are you driving?

I’m not trying to get personnel; in fact I support people right to drive anything they want to. Want to drive a Sherman tank to work? Go right ahead. The issue is that with chooses comes responsibility for them.

We will spend $200 -$ 2000+ to see two teams beat each other up on a field.
We will spend the equivalent of $32 a gallon on a cup of coffee.
We will spend the equivalent to $10 a gallon for Coke at a fast food restaurant.

But ask us to pay $3 for a gallon of gas and we blow up. Even when the rest of the world has been paying $5+ for the past 5-10 years.

Just goes to show where we have our priorities doesn’t it?

[edit on 14-2-2008 by dismanrc]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My cup of Starbucks coffee is up to nearly 8 dollars a cup per trip. I agree they must be putting something addictive in there for me to pay this much. Do you think recent predictions of $10.00 gas will Come true? That would put my trip and cup to Starbucks at ??? $15.00 or $16.00 a cup?

America will need to increase minimum wage again just so people making the minimum can afford to drive to work? Can we geta bumper car (electricity running through the road) like road system built to run on wind power or nuclear power or will I have to give up my Venti Mocha at retirement

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

We will spend $200 -$ 2000+ to see two teams beat each other up on a field.

i don't. i don't even watch it on tv.

We will spend the equivalent of $32 a gallon on a cup of coffee.

i don't drink coffee either. ever.

We will spend the equivalent to $10 a gallon for Coke at a fast food restaurant.

maybe, but i have the option of not buying 15 gallons of Coke to get me through the week.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I make pretty good living. I cannot imagine how this must effect people living on minimum wage.

People living on minimum wage don't spend $4+ on a cup of acrid coffee, full of caffeine, which is addicting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join