It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene 'protects against cancers'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Gene 'protects against cancers'

News.BBC.co.uk

A single gene may protect its carrier against a variety of cancers, according to new research.
They found that the cancer patients were half as likely to carry the gene variants in question compared with the controls.
"People who carry these gene variants might well be protected against cancer."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Four in 10 have gene that cuts risk of cancer
Cannabis may stop cancer spread

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Possible Cancer Cure Found: $2 a Dose!
Real Cure for Cancer! Possibly aids too?
Collection of Possible Cancer Cures

edit: my bad

[edit on 22/11/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
VERY interesting news. How will this effect the research for cures?
In the short term, no doubt a lot of people will be feeling very depressed when they find they don't have this gene. But as the article says, it's only a matter of time until this discovery leads to new possible cures.

But I can't help noticing a lot of press lately about 'alternative' cures. I'm all for them. If I were diagnosed, I would focus more on the alternative cures, because they seem to actually work.
Then again, you hear a lot of stories about 'different' cures working amazingly for some people, and not at all for others. Perhaps this gene has something to do with that?

News.BBC.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22/11/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Great find... in my latest research, I've noticed that genes themselves are not well-known scientifically -- plus, humans share many genes w/ the mouse, in 2002, it was released that 99% of the same genes actually.

archives.cnn.com...

This should lead to more research for clues to cancer.

Mice and humans each have about 30,000 genes, yet only 300 are unique to either organism. Both even have genes for a tail, even though it's not "switched on" in humans.

"About 99 percent of genes in humans have counterparts in the mouse," said Eric Lander, Director of the Whitehead Institute Center for Genomic Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts. "Eighty percent have identical, one-to-one counterparts."

What's even more astonishing, scientists say, is that 90 percent of genes associated with disease are identical in humans and mice. Because new generations of mice are born just weeks or months apart, and because medical experiments with humans are usually not done for ethical reasons, mice have become valuable research tools.

I've also been reading that a lot of these genes specifically are not understood. Maybe in the U.S., voters should see what their favorite presidential candidate is going to do for GENE research, since this is the true way to cures for awful disease. I know Ron Paul is a physician.

And please, let's not try to unlock that "tail" gene in humans!

[edit on 22-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Good post
My first thought was if you have read any of the the conspircy about cancer research and treatment. The cure is being held back. Because there is way to much money in the treatment and research. So if this is real, what will it be meaning? Depending on how cynical you want to be about it if it makes it way to the public, then it means it is no cure at all.

See also this thread.
This thread

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

...from my research, the 'cure' is here and there in holistic medicines already, (see some threads around ATS, including vitamin B17) but like my earlier post alludes to, there's a lot more work to be done in gene understanding -- which is why I am usually sickened by the amount of special-interest funding/studies on mice for pharms and not real medicine, like cures for killer diseases, where people are truly suffering. Not some 'anti-depressants' -- think about the 20+ million, starving Americans, let alone the true sufferers of war-torn, polluted areas of the world.

From what I read recently, a couple thousand genes are understood. From my strict recollection -- about 1,500 in the late 90s. Fine, we're ten years later, but still -- where's the big, breakthrough headlines -- '90% of genes understood' and 'cancer/HIV treatment soon' -- Africa is on it's death knell from years of illuminati / NWO nightmare.

And get this, NWO 'works' as a search feature in Al Gorey's Google -- but most Americans -- it means pro freaking wrestling.

...on the edit: as per your post RedG, the offed scientists is awful and a sign of who's doing what -- but, still, there's gotta be up and coming scientists specializing in gene research. One could hope there is.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Anhinga,
so what your saying is the cure is here its just not understood. Ok that may right, I would like to think so. But from the way I see it there is just some rich people that don't want to cure to come out. So any new up and coming microbiologist or geneticists going into this field might wake up dead one morning. I hope not but that is what looks like might have been happening.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   

From two people I know, whom had to go overseas (one, being S America) to get 'alternative' therapies which have 'killed' cancerous cells -- not being legal in the U.S. is a crime. One of the 'cures' being freaking mistletoe, there's a procedure w/ that, where the herb has to 'hit' the tumors and is injected, or extract, which helps/cures (?!), even the Cancer Institute page says this:

Mistletoe extract has been shown to kill cancer cells in the laboratory and to boost the immune system (see Question 3).

Yet, my point about special-interest? From the same site:

These extracts are not available commercially in the United States.

www.cancer.gov...

Again, and I'll always say this about the FDA and like-minded, criminal groups -- either help the people of America and the world and stop hiding behind 'ingredients' / 'bannings' or one day people will rise up against you.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

That is a good statement Anhinga. Now just convince the politicians of the same thing and maby it will happen.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
(oops, apologies for the x2 post moderators)

One more thing w/ this -- the cancer 'Institute' provides that little bit of info I just posted on their site and has the nerve to then say it's not 'available' in the U.S. is bordering on treason. Plus, *they* realize groups of mass won't form against them to question why something like mistletoe is not sold in the states.

We got groups for the environment, against 'chemtrails', nukes, S11, and every other 'cause' I can think of, some of which I find meaningless but I won't bring up -- where is the outrage for something like this?! Millions are suffering from cancer and there's a known 'cure' but it's not 'available' -- I can't stomach this after it being ingrained in my mind from the site I posted. This is treasonous -- there's a line in the preamble of the Constitution about "the general welfare" of the people.

Please, there has to be some input on this.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Absolutely, I have written to my Congressperson(s) about this and other topics I find treasonous -- usually through email, and I never, ever get responses.

Should everyone write freaking emails/letters to their Congressperson(s), I doubt that helps either. Aside from spreading info and 'hope' for hearings?! I guess that's all one can do -- aside from trying to get a hearing... hmmm....

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

I have both written and called my representatives. I have once or twice gotten a call back, and have gotten e-mail back. Though not always, and usually from the same representative. So as to that I can say some will give a hoot as to your contacting them and some will not.
If it matters keep writing your representative. If nothing else I think it might help just an ioda.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

...yeah, I still try to contact them, I think I might of gotten a 'we got your message' email, but nothing more. Bravo, to you RedGolem, in contacting your rep.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The article is a good example of how jounalists look at scientific work, and dont understand how it actually works. It is not about a gene that gives you *protection* against cancer. It is simply about how a mutation in a specific gene gives you a hightened chance of getting cancer, and that is actually only 2 specific types of cancer. This is very normal, and the reason for many types of cancer.

If you really want to look for "genes that cure cancer", you should be looking at DNA repair genes, ie. genes that codes for protein complexes that repair DNA after it is being damaged, or holds meiosis/mitosis in check due to problems. A quick Google gave me this link.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Good post
My first thought was if you have read any of the the conspircy about cancer research and treatment. The cure is being held back. Because there is way to much money in the treatment and research. So if this is real, what will it be meaning? Depending on how cynical you want to be about it if it makes it way to the public, then it means it is no cure at all.

See also this thread.
This thread

Some thoughts on the cure for "cancer" being held back:

www.quackwatch.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have found that most pharmaceutical companies are more interested in profits when treating the symptoms missing the cure.

I walked away from Chemo therapy after two treatments two years ago
after experiencing heart erythemas. As far as I'm concerned those chemicals will kill you faster than Cancer.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by matiascs

Matiascs
I read that link you sent thanks. So is it correct that you do not believe there is any effort to hold back any cure or direct research away from a cure for high dollar diseases such as cancer?

top topics

join