It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy UK shoppers hit US stores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Happy UK shoppers hit US stores

news.bbc.co.uk

An awful lot of the voices - and particularly those coming from the people clutching the biggest number of bulging bags - seem to be British.

Stop by other large retailers - Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue or any Gap store - and the same experience is repeated, with the odd French or other European accent thrown in.

While Americans are feeling the pinch of a credit crunch, housing slump and rising fuel prices, it seems their European cousins are ready to make the most of a dollar
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Dump the Dollar, China State TV Tells Viewers
Oil Surges Above $99 as Sliding Dollar Spurs Commodity Demand

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Those of us in the U.S. are aware the week dollar is causing problems for us, mainly with the price of energy. This article is showing there is another side to the coin. The article goes on to say that visitors from countries are increasing from between 4% to 19%. That is a big increase. It also goes on to say that it is not just the rich that are making the over the pond trip to do some shopping. This could also lead to an increase in manufacturing jobs, the way I am seeing it.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

But aren't the stuff they're buying made in China?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Watch out for the import tax when they get back home to the UK!!
My sis bought a few elecrical items over there a few years back(camera,laptop).
She thought it was a bargain until they charged an insane amount of import tax.In the end it would have worked out cheaper over here.

So Watch out for that.
You could post it to yourself from the USA though-marked as "gift" to avoid the taxes.
But only if that was totally legal,you understand.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Yes all the stuff is still being made in China. And do you think the owners of the big retail stores are going to give any of this new flood of cash to any of there workers who live around the poverty line? Not much of a chance of that happening.
The point is this shows that shoppers are coming to the U.S. for bargains. This might lead to more manufacturing in the U.S. It will however take a long time for any current manufacturing to leave China.
China will need to link its currency to the world markets also which I don't think is ever going to happen.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

My sis bought a few elecrical items over there a few years back(camera,laptop).
She thought it was a bargain until they charged an insane amount of import tax.In the end it would have worked out cheaper over here.

Silcone
thanks for mentioning about the import taxes. I was wondering about that.
Mailing it back was one thing I was thinking of. Also if the buying wanted the camera and lap top they could just put them together and carry them through customs as if they took them out in the first place.

Also thank to all who are posting

new topics

top topics

join